MHA Low GPA applying for MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm going to apply for MHA for 2015 Fall.
I have a very low uGPA (2.8ish) but have been taking classes at extension while working, hopefully SOPHAS will bump up my GPA a little bit. 3 years of work experience (1.5 as intern, 1.5 as full time) in a healthcare company. I probably can get good recommendations because my bosses like me (from my manager and CFO&COO). GRE is not taken yet.

Currently I'm looking at CSU Long Beach and U of Illinois Chicago, need one more but haven't decided yet (suggestions??)

Does anyone have past experiences similar to my situation? Any suggestions on what I could do to improve my chances? Feel free to express your thoughts!!

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey buddy.

There is a thread here or on gradcafe that is exclusively people with low gpas getting into programs. A 2.8 is definitely not going to help you, but it doesnt have to hold you back too much either, especially with the schools you are focused on. To overcome, you need to manhandle everything within your control. Study hard for the GRE and kill it. Get great recommendations. Write a well-crafted and compelling personal statement. And get your application in asap when it is of high-quality. Dont sacrifice quality to get it in a few days earlier, but realize that getting your app in early can only really help you. Because MHA programs are more holistic, I like to look at applications as unweighted plusses or minuses. Your gpa is a minus, but if you can make the rest of your app pluses, you'll be good as long as your gpa is over the school's minimum.

Additionally, if you have *good* reasons for the low GPA (family death/illness, diagnosed with cancer, etc...), write a addendum in the space SOPHAS provides. Do not write one for "i wasn't mature enough" or similar reasons. And be prepared to address the deficiencies in an interview or discussion with the school, especially if your ugpa features several bad math grades.

Good luck and remember that these schools, and any other schools, will always be here next year.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. When is considered early? Is end of December too late? I see a lot of people submitting in November.

Members don't see this ad :)
WWXX,

First, make sure that any school you choose is CAHME accredited. Here is the list of schools to apply to: MHA-CAHME

I believe all CAHME accredited programs require a 3.0 GPA. I applied with a 2.7, low GRE scores, and got into a CAHME MHA program. I did not give reasoning behind my low GPA in my personal statement. I simply illustrated how my professional work experiences aligned with the objectives of the MHA program. There was no interview. I was conditionally accepted; couldn't make lower than a B my first semester. I made all A's. I'm in the second year of my MHA program and have a 3.9.

Per your statement of work, you need to speak the language of a potential healthcare administrator (...breaking the health Iron Triangle, etc.)

So apply to any of those schools within that list; if you choose. Also research The American College of Healthcare Executives (National Association). You will want to join it once you get accepted into a program.

Remember: Just apply. The worst that can happen is a rejection. But at least you know you tried.

I had a low undergrad GPA similar to yours and got into an MPH program concentrating in epidemiology. I know that's not exactly the same but it just goes to show that numbers aren't everything in admissions. I think what's really important is your experience (which it sounds like you have), strong recommendations, and a good personal statement. I addressed my low GPA in a couple of sentences in my personal statement too, which may or may not have helped.

Hello everyone,
I have been trying to look for forums with low gpa/gre but I cannot seem to find some:
GPA: 3.03
GRE: 154Q, 145V, 4 Writing.
I was a pre-med major for 3 years then recently switched to MHA. I have a lot of work experience in a hospital as a rehabilitation technician as well as worked two years as a affiliate marketer overviewing 200 customers and affiliates and working hand in hand with top income earners. I am applying to:
Virginia Commonwealth
Ohio State
Columbia
Saint Louis
University of Pittsburgh
Penn State
Rush
George Washington
Johns Hopkins
Medical University of South Carolina.
I was wondering if there is any hope at all for me in this application process because I have not yet be able to submit my application due to my references not responding to my emails. If you guys have any advice at all whatsoever for me please help because I am in desperate need of it and do not know who to turn to. Thank you again.

WWXX,

First, make sure that any school you choose is CAHME accredited. Here is the list of schools to apply to: MHA-CAHME

I believe all CAHME accredited programs require a 3.0 GPA. I applied with a 2.7, low GRE scores, and got into a CAHME MHA program. I did not give reasoning behind my low GPA in my personal statement. I simply illustrated how my professional work experiences aligned with the objectives of the MHA program. There was no interview. I was conditionally accepted; couldn't make lower than a B my first semester. I made all A's. I'm in the second year of my MHA program and have a 3.9.

Per your statement of work, you need to speak the language of a potential healthcare administrator (...breaking the health Iron Triangle, etc.)

So apply to any of those schools within that list; if you choose. Also research The American College of Healthcare Executives (National Association). You will want to join it once you get accepted into a program.

Remember: Just apply. The worst that can happen is a rejection. But at least you know you tried.

Curious to which program you applied to? I'd be very interested in inquiring about Epidemiology as a specialization in this field!