low gpa from another school, help me please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexwantsanMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, and thanks for taking the time to read this;

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your best shot at this point is to apply to either DO schools or an SMP that'll take you.

Hi all, and thanks for taking the time to read this;

Story: I dropped out of college my freshmen year with 30 credits and a 1.69 gpa
I dinked around for 5 years before getting back into school, I finally got back in the game and managed 60 credits from a community college with a 3.39 cGPA
upon transferring I made the deans list (made a 3.77) the first quarter, and am showing a pretty good upward trend.
Currently I have abut less than two year before my application to Medical school, (or so I think.)

I recently calculated my cGPA from all three school and was horrified to find that it is at a 2.8... :(
I do not think it possible to raise my cumulative to 3.5 in two years before I apply.

I need to know how medical schools will view this, and if I even have a chance? Wouldn't my application be screened out if the gpa is too low? Or (in my hopes) will they only account the GPA attained from the 4 year school undergraduate degree. I might note that the 1st years gpa was from an oos school.

I hate to be wishy washy, but please tell me I still have chance and has anyone experienced the same scenario and were still able to be accepted?..

thanks kindly,
Looks like DO schools or an SMP program is in order. Depends what you get on the MCAT as well. But for now, I would suggest doing an SMP program.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your sGPA? All hope isn't lost right now but you have a lot of work to do before you apply. Every class you have taken during college MUST be reported to AMCAS. So yes your classes that resulted in your 1.6 are included. Have you done any research on DO schools? They have the grade replacement options that MD school don't have. Read up on it. It could be what you need. How are your ECs coming along? If you haven't started to work on them do so right away. You should also plan to take a gap year or two . But don't make any plans until you see how you are doing in two years. You have to get as close to a 4.0 from now on out. It will be hard but if you want to be a doctor you'll find away to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Well I calculated my sGPA at 3.34, currently I'm finishing bio and then Ochem, I also have 35 credits of Bio Anth classes that I can 'easy A' to help raise it. My cGPA from the 4 year Uni is a 3.77 currently, won't schools take this into consideration? I'm showing a pretty decent upward trend. My biggest worry is just being automatically screened out because of an overall low GPA. How low is too low? I understand that it is school dependent. I feel I have a fighting chance if I pull good grades (I can raise it to a possible cGPA of 3.4) for my final years and have a good MCAT. Thoughts?

On another tangent, I'll be attempting to cast myself as a 'reinventor.' Hearsay has told me that Wayne rewards these candidates. (As well my dad, who was a reinventor himself, attended Wayne.)Any other schools that I should shoot for when I do apply?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Update: I miscalculated my gpa. I forgot to factor in the 'semester' based hours, as I'm currently wrapping up at a quarter-based school. According to my calculations I currently sit with a cGPA of >3.1, with two years left I figure I can make it to 3.4. With a decent MCAT I have a fighting chance.
(Just when you thought you had seen the last of me..)

I appreciate the initial advice, and am still strongly considering a SMP.

'Fingers crossed'
& thanks.

Last edited:
Update: I miscalculated my gpa. I forgot to factor in the 'semester' based hours, as I'm currently wrapping up at a quarter-based school. According to my calculations I currently sit with a cGPA of >3.1, with two years left I figure I can make it to 3.4. With a decent MCAT I have a fighting chance.
(Just when you thought you had seen the last of me..)

I appreciate the initial advice, and am still strongly considering a SMP.

'Fingers crossed'
& thanks.

3.4 with a great upward trend and MCAT will give you a fighting chance. Good job on all of your work. Wayne State is known for taking your last 30 credit hours on occasion (I believe if it is part of post-bacc), so they definitely reward re-invention. But in your case just keep working hard to get that GPA up, score high on the MCAT and see what the best option is from there. Keep up the good work and good luck!