Low GPA/High MCAT: 3.4 cGPA/3.0 sGPA + 42 MCAT; What is going to happen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

royaleagle15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
High MCAT low GPA means brilliant but lazy. Could have done better in school but choose not to. You have an okay chance of acceptance into MD schools in general but I don't like your chances at top-25 schools. Make sure you get all A's to show upward trend these next 2 semesters.

Last edited:
Agree with the above.

With a 3.0 sGPA i'd highly suggest doing a post bacc.

A 42 MCAT is great obviously, but it won't make up for such a low GPA.

Can you get into a MD school with those numbers? Sure.

Can you get into a top 25 school with those numbers? Very unlikely.

For top 25 schools you'll be competing against applicants with great MCATs and GPAs plus solid ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have an 83.9% chance of acceptance to at least one MD program. Look for schools that prefer MCAT scores to GPA, as you have a brilliancy there despite your seedy GPA.

No. As the very wise gyngyn has pointed out repeatedly, such discordance between GPA and MCAT is viewed with caution by Adcoms.

The only hope for you is if you had a massive upward trend following a disastrous start to UG. There are med schools that reward reinvention. People who struggle but are good at standardized tests, not so much.

My GPA is low and MCAT is high (14P 13V 15B). Top 25 school. President of highly successful fraternity, 200+ hr volunteering, 200+ hr clinical experience.

Gap year will consist of tutoring the MCAT and working for the Red Cross-Americorps because my school's pre-med counselors advised against a post-bacc........I need some help! Will I be able to get in to a top-25 medical school?

It's not like he completely **** the bed with his GPA. It's a 3.4. I wouldn't want it, but the stats make me think someone is buying.

Goro, can you explain why you are doomsaying ("...the only hope for you...") when there were 31 non-URM applicants with stats like the TC's and 26 of them got at least one MD acceptance in 2013? 31 people is a decent sample size, particuarly for something rare like this. What was the only hope for those 26?

It's not like he completely **** the bed with his GPA. It's a 3.4. I wouldn't want it, but the stats make me think someone is buying.

Goro, can you explain why you are doomsaying ("...the only hope for you...") when there were 31 non-URM applicants with stats like the TC's and 26 of them got at least one MD acceptance in 2013? 31 people is a decent sample size, particuarly for something rare like this. What was the only hope for those 26?

He is specifically asking for his chances at a top 25 school, though.