Low GPA, High MCAT, Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helphelphelp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, here it is, another opinion thread. So my freshman year I did pretty good. I took what most college freshman take class wise, comp 1, psychology, sociology, calc III and IV and so on. I did pretty well. The following year however, things did not go as planned. I went through some personal as well as family issues that caused me to lose focus on school. My dad was in the hospital for almost all of sophomore year and I'm not going to lie, I really didnt focus on school. I mean I didn't go to class. i basically showed up and took the tests with no preparation. Unfortunately, sophomore year was the year that i took almost all of my pre requisites for med school. Here are my grade breakdowns:

State of Residence: OK

Major: Systems Engineering (Junior)

MCAT: 37 (13 B, 12 P, 12 V)

cgpa: 3.21
sgpa: 2.72

Fall 10: 3.8 (Calc III)

Spring 10: 3.35 (Ochem I, Physics I, Calc IV)

Fall 11: 2.95 (ouch) (Ochem II, Physics II)

Spring 11: 2.5 (double ouch) (Biochem, Genetics, Linear Algebra)

Fall 12: 3.25

There were a few other summer classes but just a few. Obviously I took more classes than those listed because I am currently sitting at 115 credit hours (omg).

I clepped out of gen chem I and II and Zoo 1 with Lab. Basically 15 hours that I really need to help my gpa.

So far I have taken Organic 1 (B), Organic 2 (C), Calc II (A), Calc III (B), Calc IV (C), Engineering Physics I (B), and Engineering Physics II (B), Linear Algebra (B), Genetics (C), Biochemistry (C).

Yup. It's worse than it looks. :( I really lost focus on school and decided I wanted to be an engineer instead of a doctor. Surprisingly, a study abroad opportunity really changed my perspective and I found myself with a newly found inspiration to be a doctor and it helped me focus more on school.

Honestly, I know my chances aren't good. I know that I am capable of doing better than my previous work implies. I am a relatively smart guy that did really well in high school and scored in the top 0.5% on my ACT prior to college. My plan is to take a year or two to do GPA repair by retaking some classes I didnt do well in (Biochem, Genetics etc) and then applying to OU med. I really cannot afford an SMP as I currently work about 30 hours a week to put myself through school (my parents have no way to help me out financially).

I am not worried about my EC's or recommendations as they are my strong points. I am currently involved in research, and have a good amount of volunteer hours already.

What do you guys think? Is it possible for me to get into OU Med in a few years?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you retake a few of those sciences you could get into OSU.

I don't know if you have much chance at OU without an SMP. Isn't OU really competitive? Your MCAT is excellent for them I'm sure but I would imagine your GPAs are way, way out of range. I don't know how much retaking would help you for MD. Even if you got A's in all the classes you got C's in it would only average you out to a B.

You should look at DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
For MD schools, it will take some time for you to repair your GPA. Hopefully, your MCAT score doesn't expire in that time.