Low gpa, high mcat, unique ec, old and no idea where to apply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CocoCat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone. First time poster. Canadian. Totally lost in the American system.

Life has thrown me a few curve balls and I ended up taking the mcat again. Initially, I was hoping to only apply to the Australian med schools, but I ended up doing a lot better than I thought I would have.

I was just wondering where I would be competitive. Where could I apply in the states? Would a lower reputation American school be better than an internationally recognized Australian school.

Gpa: 3.3-3.4 (graduated 2006)
Mcat: 39
Ec:
Ran a marathon on every continent including Antarctica

Summited Kilimanjaro

Worked in a hospital during undergrad.

Research experience

Built houses with former president Jimmy Carter in New Orleans, after Katrina

Smuggled into Haiti after the earthquake and helped with the aid effort

Published photographer

Owner of two businesses, including a cafe

A lot of student government activities and sports from back in the day.

.... Trained with UFC fighters, lived in the Shaolin temple, traveled 50+ countries...
I have lived an eclectic life.

Anyway, which schools would I be competitive at? I honestly don't even know how to go about applying in the states. At this point I'm Australia bound. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Help an old guy out! Haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
is there a reason you don't want to go to a canadian med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 64 US MD schools that accept international applicants. They all have better stats than yours, alas.

You'll have better luck with those DO schools that take internationals. Alas, mine requires green card.

Life has thrown me a few curve balls and I ended up taking the mcat again. Initially, I was hoping to only apply to the Australian med schools, but I ended up doing a lot better than I thought I would have.

I was just wondering where I would be competitive. Where could I apply in the states? Would a lower reputation American school be better than an internationally recognized Australian school.

Gpa: 3.3-3.4 (graduated 2006)
Mcat: 39
Ec:
Ran a marathon on every continent including Antarctica

Summited Kilimanjaro

Worked in a hospital during undergrad.

Research experience

Built houses with former president Jimmy Carter in New Orleans, after Katrina

Smuggled into Haiti after the earthquake and helped with the aid effort

Published photographer

Owner of two businesses, including a cafe

A lot of student government activities and sports from back in the day.

.... Trained with UFC fighters, lived in the Shaolin temple, traveled 50+ countries...
I have lived an eclectic life.

Anyway, which schools would I be competitive at? I honestly don't even know how to go about applying in the states. At this point I'm Australia bound. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Help an old guy out! Haha

is there a reason you don't want to go to a canadian med school?

To be honest.... I HATE THE COLD! >.< I literally got on a plane and ditched a country if winter was coming... for 3 years straight. I have a mild case of Raynaud's syndrome. Also, I'm ready for change. I will still apply of course, but I know how to apply in Canada. I'm just at a loss in the land down south.

Also, Canadian schools do not put much emphasis on the MCAT so my cruddy GPA will probably get me stonewalled here

Last edited:
There are 64 US MD schools that accept international applicants. They all have better stats than yours, alas.

You'll have better luck with those DO schools that take internationals. Alas, mine requires green card.

Ah, that sucks. I was hoping my mcat would outshine the gpa a little. I went to https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstable24.pdf and saw that people with my stats have about a 65.5% chance of matriculating so I guess I got my hopes up? I was just wondering where these 65.5% were going. So you think they all went to DO schools?

Also, nice cat. hahah

Those stats are largely skewed by people with rising grade trends, veterans, reinventers, and the "lucky" states like LA or GA which highly favor thier own residents.

Ah, that sucks. I was hoping my mcat would outshine the gpa a little. I went to https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstable24.pdf and saw that people with my stats have about a 65.5% chance of matriculating so I guess I got my hopes up? I was just wondering where these 65.5% were going. So you think they all went to DO schools?

Also, nice cat. hahah

Canadian schools have like... a 3.7 gpa cut off, and in that system, you cannot raise your GPA through taking postbacc classes unless it is to get an actual degree, and many schools only accept your GPA from semesters where you had 5 classes. It's pretty different. I have many friends studying medicine abroad who would have not had a problem getting into a US school, just because there aren't enough Canadian schools. For that reason, I think it's also less risky to study medicine abroad as a Canadian.

cocoCat, I don't know what province you are in but if you have access to a school that will consider you with your stats in Canada, I would highly recommend that. (I also have Raynaud's and am cold all the time and I will be attending med school in a cold place, it is kind of miserable but not a huge deal.)

Look up applications to CARMS -- it's easier from a US school than from an Australian school if you want to go back to Canada. Look at US schools that accept internationals, and then look at stats to see how many internationals they took. (If they only take 0 or 1 per year, your chances are low). Wayne State in Detroit takes a lot of Canadians. If you wanted to immigrate to Australia, maybe it's possible? But if you want to go back to Canada, then you should try to stay in North America if you can.

First, congrats on med school in the cold place! :p
Yeah. getting into canadian schools sucks. The one benefit is I'd be applying as a mature applicant so they accept people on different criteria I'm told. I actually have a few friends (all over 30) who recently got into Canadian schools with lower GPAs.

I'm painfully aware of what it's like to come back after Australia, which doesn't make sense to me. Sydney has a QS ranking of 17th in the world for medicine. If I studied abroad that's where I'd hopefully settle. If in Australia, settle there. If in the states, settle there. I'm good as long as I have good food and the Interweb.

Those stats are largely skewed by people with rising grade trends, veterans, reinventers, and the "lucky" states like LA or GA which highly favor thier own residents.

Makes sense Thanks... Especially the favouring residents. Still there were 113 applicants and only 39 didn't make it. I'm not a veteran or reinventer, but I have a TEDx talk. That's gotta count for something right? right? haha damn it.

Okay, maybe I'll just apply to the lowest MDs that accept international as a shot in the dark and a few DOs.

Which schools? In Ontario, there are 3 schools that consider grad students separately but not mature students in general.

Also, you know you can take more classes to increase your gpa for us schools right? Do you have prereqs? (There are many more in USA than Canada!)

All got into McGill. Yes, I know I can take more classes, but I won't. Australian medical schools are good in my books! I'm good on prereqs, I did a lot of extra courses in undergrad summers and wanted to apply to the states way back when too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should just apply to DOs?
No, I just want you to review the new MSAR to make sure that you have at least a fighting chance at the MD schools that might interview you.
Be sure to look at the acceptance info tab to see if they actually interviewed or admitted a few before you waste $ on a secondary.

Thanks so much gyngyn. I'm so out of the system I didn't know about the MSAR website. It looks like a great resource!

whats your VR score if you don't mind me asking? The only canadian school which might work is Mac if your VR score is high enough with a solid CASPER!

Well, I honestly think that if you're probably more interesting than 80% of the applicants I've encountered, if what you're saying is true. I would strongly encourage you to do your homework and see which places accept canadians and if they have any strict cutoffs. If they do, can it. If they don't apply to as many as you can. You might have a weak GPA but hey I had the same thing and still managed to get some love from other schools. State schools will be tough, but private ones should be fine-just inquire around and ask.

I remember people on SDN telling me to go apply DO because of my GPA, but I ended up with plenty of success on the app process with a similar gpa and an mcat lower than yours.

BUT, do your homework. Know where you have the best odds. Call, and ask. (or email)

glad to see the guy from the dos equis commercials has found SDN

Reactions: 4 users

a

There is no med school in Australia or elsewhere in the world that is renowned in US.
I have a particular interest in Australia and thus know some random facts about it. They have long been overproducing physicians for their 20 million population. I highly insist you do more research on this: their graduate medical education is significantly different from American/Canadian one in that it is 2-3x times longer AND if you are a foreigner who wishes to practice in Australia you have to practice for like 10 years in the middle of nowhere (literally) before the government will let you practice in urban areas on the coast.

you can't get into a canadian med school with a 10? the hell?

you can't get into a canadian med school with a 10? the hell?
Some you can't, anything below 10 is lethal though. And with a 10 you are liminited to schools with GPA's of ~3.95 and up
Several schools have either a flat VR11 cutoff for all applicants, or about half the schools require it to apply outside of your (one) in-province school. It's a ****ty siduation, so thats why lots of people with GPA's less then 3.9 and 10VR (even if you had a 40 total....) end up having better luck applying US as international

Last edited:
Well, I honestly think that if you're probably more interesting than 80% of the applicants I've encountered, if what you're saying is true. I would strongly encourage you to do your homework and see which places accept canadians and if they have any strict cutoffs. If they do, can it. If they don't apply to as many as you can. You might have a weak GPA but hey I had the same thing and still managed to get some love from other schools. State schools will be tough, but private ones should be fine-just inquire around and ask.

I remember people on SDN telling me to go apply DO because of my GPA, but I ended up with plenty of success on the app process with a similar gpa and an mcat lower than yours.

BUT, do your homework. Know where you have the best odds. Call, and ask. (or email)

Thanks Alejandro. I'm going to apply to a few for sure after I do my research on MSAR like gyngyn suggested. I live by a "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" philosophy ^.^ But, this was a really encouraging post. Thanks again!

glad to see the guy from the dos equis commercials has found SDN

AHAhahahaha thanks brother. I try to live as ridiculously as possible. Also, it's not the 10 keeping me out of canadian med schools. It's my GPA :(

There is no med school in Australia or elsewhere in the world that is renowned in US.

Oxford, Cambridge, Toronto, Sydney, Tokyo, McGill. All not as renowned as the lowest level American school you say? Are you misusing the word "renowned"? You mean "accredited"?

I have a particular interest in Australia and thus know some random facts about it.

I have a particular interest in women, coffee, and sushi. I know some random facts about all three but I am far from an expert.

They have long been overproducing physicians for their 20 million population.

I think overproducing physicians for a country with a doctor shortage is better than underproducing, don't you think? It isn't perfect, but what is? I never thought it'd be easy.

I highly insist you do more research on this: their graduate medical education is significantly different from American/Canadian one in that it is 2-3x times longer
I highly insist you try the new Tim Hortons Nutella products. They're ridiculously good. Of course I've researched the med system in Australia. Different isn't worse. I like their graduate medical education system.

AND if you are a foreigner who wishes to practice in Australia you have to practice for like 10 years in the middle of nowhere (literally) before the government will let you practice in urban areas on the coast.

Damn, I guess I'll have to take care of people who need doctors. I must be going into medicine for the wrong reasons. ;) Plus, the 10 Year Moratorium isn't literally 10 years in the middle of nowhere.

What a nice knee-jerk reaction. Best of luck in the outback :hello:

Last edited:
What a nice knee-jerk reaction. Best of luck in the outback :hello:

My apologies. I just think it hilarious you would say all the world is worse than the US and assume I haven't looked into the Australian system already. This post was started so I could get advice on applying to the states. I did not ask if the Australian system was good or not.

Makes sense Thanks... Especially the favouring residents. Still there were 113 applicants and only 39 didn't make it. I'm not a veteran or reinventer, but I have a TEDx talk. That's gotta count for something right? right? haha damn it.

Okay, maybe I'll just apply to the lowest MDs that accept international as a shot in the dark and a few DOs.
wow u have a TEDx??

I think you should apply to some reaches as well. It seems like your ECs could outweigh your GPA especially with a good MCAT. Just make sure you have a stellar personal statement/secondary responses (which I'm sure is possible with your history). I had similar stats (lower MCAT, higher GPA) but got into some great schools.

Also, nice cat. hahah
Those stats stats are very skewed, and don't really apply to international applicants, unfortunately. SDN doesn't seem to really understand this

Some of the reluctance to accept internationals has to do with the inability to get them residencies commensurate with their talents. Many residencies (especially in the west) do not support the visas that would allow them to match into programs that could easily be filled with domestic grads. It's so sad to see them match so far beneath their scores and abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, congrats on med school in the cold place! :p
Yeah. getting into canadian schools sucks. The one benefit is I'd be applying as a mature applicant so they accept people on different criteria I'm told. I actually have a few friends (all over 30) who recently got into Canadian schools with lower GPAs.

I'm painfully aware of what it's like to come back after Australia, which doesn't make sense to me. Sydney has a QS ranking of 17th in the world for medicine. If I studied abroad that's where I'd hopefully settle. If in Australia, settle there. If in the states, settle there. I'm good as long as I have good food and the Interweb.

Please don't look at rankings, biggest mistake ever. Apart from being funny to read for the laughs and to show off to relatives who have no clue about medicine, they are useless and pretty misleading.

Great MCAT score by the way!

Please don't look at rankings, biggest mistake ever. Apart from being funny to read for the laughs and to show off to relatives who have no clue about medicine, they are useless and pretty misleading.

Great MCAT score by the way!
Hopefully, since this thread is a couple of months old, OP has seen some success in America or at home.

Hopefully, since this thread is a couple of months old, OP has seen some success in America or at home.

I came to this thread from another thread, OP has gotten in or gotten a secondary at USyd.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like I've found someone to look up to. Congrats on your acceptance!