Low GPA high MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youngm2194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question...I'm applying this summer and by the time June rolls around my gpa will be 3.35-3.4, with both science and being basically the same as that. My gpa is so low due to freshman and sophomore year until realized I wanted to go to med school. If my final two years are 3.7-3.8 (still not that high I know) coupled with a first author publication and a MCAT of 515 (128/128/131/128, 93 percentile) do I have a shot at somewhere? I'll literally go wherever I get in I just hope thats somewhere for MD. I didn't include all the other stuff like volunteering etc but just based of that is there a chance? Not a URM either

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are fine for any DO school. Your best bet for MD schools is with your state schools and low or low/mid tiers like Jefferson, Temple, Albany, NYMC etc. Consult the MSAR, and keep in mind that schools do look at upward trends in GPA

Historically more than half of applicants who applied with a 3.4/34 found an acceptance letter from an MD school by the end of the cycle.

Forget Yale, but Netter and U Conn should be doable. Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closets to your own. Pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages. To be on the safe side, have DO schools on your list. Start it with UNECOM, NYIT-COM, PCOM and Touro-NY.

State is CT so only in state is UConn and other than that we have Yale and Quinnipiac which opened this year

Forget Yale, but Netter and U Conn should be doable. Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closets to your own. Pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages. To be on the safe side, have DO schools on your list. Start it with UNECOM, NYIT-COM, PCOM and Touro-NY.

Would you also suggest LECOM? Just thought of it since it's also sort of in the New England area.