Low GPA Max hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtn_dew0verdose

swagtastic
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker, finally decided to sign up!

Just a brief history:
-graduated high school with 60hrs and a crappy GPA (mid 2's)
-got an associates to be a surgical tech
-went into undergrad as a physics major
-just switched to bio

The reason for switching to bio is because only about 30hrs or so from high school were actually applicable, however the entire 60 are being counted as attempted hours, my classes from my associates aren't applicable to my bachelor's except for basically 1 class and that puts me at around 90 attempted hours total.

In order for me to finish my physics pre-reqs, physics courses, and premed pre-reqs, I would end up with over 180 hours. I'm capped at 180 hours and anything more than that would be very costly. In order to avoid that, I switched to bio which would allow me to do everything in under 180 hours.

Unfortunately, my college coursework GPA from high school is really lame and is coming back to haunt me. I've been doing pretty good compared to high school since I've been at University. Unfortunately the way I figure it, if I make straight A's from here on out, my best chance is a 3.2

My question is basically, what are my options? I hear that a post bacc is a possibility, but I just don't know enough about it to make a call. I figure a double major is out of the question. Would doing a 2nd bachelor's be a smart move?

Thanks for any and all advice

Members don't see this ad.

Retake all F/D/C science coursework at any CC or 4 year school. It doesn't have to be your UG school. This is a DIY post-bac.

Hello all, long time lurker, finally decided to sign up!

Just a brief history:
-graduated high school with 60hrs and a crappy GPA (mid 2's)
-got an associates to be a surgical tech
-went into undergrad as a physics major
-just switched to bio

The reason for switching to bio is because only about 30hrs or so from high school were actually applicable, however the entire 60 are being counted as attempted hours, my classes from my associates aren't applicable to my bachelor's except for basically 1 class and that puts me at around 90 attempted hours total.

In order for me to finish my physics pre-reqs, physics courses, and premed pre-reqs, I would end up with over 180 hours. I'm capped at 180 hours and anything more than that would be very costly. In order to avoid that, I switched to bio which would allow me to do everything in under 180 hours.

Unfortunately, my college coursework GPA from high school is really lame and is coming back to haunt me. I've been doing pretty good compared to high school since I've been at University. Unfortunately the way I figure it, if I make straight A's from here on out, my best chance is a 3.2

My question is basically, what are my options? I hear that a post bacc is a possibility, but I just don't know enough about it to make a call. I figure a double major is out of the question. Would doing a 2nd bachelor's be a smart move?

Thanks for any and all advice

Retake all F/D/C science coursework at any CC or 4 year school. It doesn't have to be your UG school. This is a DIY post-bac.

That doesn't seem like a bad idea, however the only C for science classes I have is in calculus I, but I made an A in calculus II, should I still retake it?