Low GPA/Military Experience/Current higher GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

619dr2b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure questions like this have been asked numerous times. Here's mine: I began college at 17 years old and did horrible due to my niece becoming ill with a seizure disorder. In turn I made the decision to be closer to home. I ended up entering the military for 6 years and have now been in school again for a year. My Cumulative GPA as of now is a low 2.36, with approximately 50 credits. Fall semester 2012 I had a semester GPA of 3.72. As of now my science GPA is a 4.0 (Human Biology, General Chemistry, General Biology, and Introduction to Biological Systems). I have matured greatly since 2005 when I last attended college. I am wondering if I am being unrealistic about trying to pursue medicine. The highest my GPA can reach as of now is only a 2.8. (An that is it I maintain a 4.0 from here on out, which is unlikely). Will my military experience help me in any way? How can I overcome beginning my collegiate career with a poor academic record? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go MD, you should investigate post-bacc programs, because you'll often be screened out before they open your application.

If you want to do DO, then grade replace the hell out of (what I'm assuming are) C's and D's, get to a 3.4ish and get an average MCAT (26+) and with your history, you would probably be fine.

Don't forget clinical EC's if possible
And from everything I've heard, your military experience WILL help you, but it won't carry you.

I am hopefully going to be able to replace them. What are Clincal EC's?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am hopefully going to be able to replace them. What are Clincal EC's?

Haha, sorry about that! I meant some clinical experience in extra-curriculars. MA job, shadowing, or scribing would all put you in a clinical, patient setting.

Theoretically some volunteering would look good as well. Did your military career have anything to do with medicine?

No. I was a Master-At-Arms (A Navy police officer). I am hoping my chances will be improved when I transfer back home to Montana State University. The WWAMI program at The University of Washington SOM allocates 20 new med students from MSU. Last year 81 applied to the program. I just want to make sure I am doing everything in my power to push myself in the right direction.