low gpa options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgegosali

Reaction score
i have a 2.8 undergrad gpa and wanted to know what's the best way to repair my gpa to be competitive for D.O schools? I also have around 6Ws on my transcripts (600 hrs of ER volunteer hours ) a couple of pre-med clubs and haven't taken the mcat yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a 2.8 undergrad gpa and wanted to know what's the best way to repair my gpa to be competitive for D.O schools? I also have around 6Ws on my transcripts (600 hrs of ER volunteer hours ) a couple of pre-med clubs and haven't taken the mcat yet.
I like to provide an example. A student with a similar GPA enrolled in a traditional graduate program ( two years) at the same time doing DIY postbacc taking all 3 and 4 level science classes with a total of 63 credits Acing both graduate and postbacc courses with MCAT 517, he is now third-year MD student. It can be done; it just needs determination.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
the classes that i got a c- and below in undergrad are the following
Cell Biology,
Neurobiology
Organic Chemistry
Biology 1
should I start with retaking these classes at a local CC near me? the cost is affordable at CC. would the grades in the retakes be considered a post bacc gpa? After retaking these classes should I take more upper level science classes?

the classes that i got a c- and below in undergrad are the following
Cell Biology,
Neurobiology
Organic Chemistry
Biology 1
should I start with retaking these classes at a local CC near me? the cost is affordable at CC. would the grades in the retakes be considered a post bacc gpa? After retaking these classes should I take more upper level science classes?
Retake the pre-reqs since you need a C or higher for them. You could do those ones at a CC but will need a substantial number of credits (close to 30) in new upper division sciences at an undergrad probably to show you can handle the rigor. Yes, they’ll be considered part of a post-bacc if you’ve graduated already.

Reactions: 1 user
Go read Goro's post. I had a lower GPA than you and I was accepted to three schools without a post bacc.

Reactions: 1 user
It's totally fine to take classes at community college for cost and the schools totally understand that but at the same time make sure shadow MD/DO and check all the other boxes. All the best!!!