MD & DO Low GPA, should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emmabean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a junior in college next year and have figured out it'll be almost impossible for me to get above a 3.2 GPA even if I keep a 4.0 for the rest of college. I screwed around my first year and a half of college (I'm actually supposed to be a senior next year) , but now I work as a scribe for a well known surgeon in my city who also teaches residents and PA students and have realized that I really love medicine and know it is what I want to do. I maintained all As/Bs in my sciences classes this year, but even if I keep that up, do I have a chance at getting into medical school? I am a Texas resident and know its easier to get into Texas med schools for me, but I feel like it won't be easy enough, even if I do get a high MCAT score. Would it be best to apply to medical schools (TCOM is one of my top choices) , apply to a masters program (looking at TCOMS masters biomedical science program or Texas Techs Masters in Medical science) , or retake classes after graduation? My only C in a science class was in Biology 1.

Members don't see this ad.