MD & DO Low GPA. What are my chances? How does my schools list look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asian top 30 Undergrad, MA Resident

cGPA 3.56 sGPA 3.41
MCAT 37 (13/11/13)

Experience:
-2 Years as a clinical research coordinator at a top 8 hospital. Performed over 1000 venipunctures. Interact with docs, nurses, medical assistants and patients on a daily basis. I've worked in over 10 outpatient clinics in the hospital as well as the ICU.
-3 Years volunteering at suicide prevention hotline. Dealt with many emergency situations.
-1 Year doing bench work at a hospital working directly with the PI. No publication.
-2 Years doing undergrad research.
-200 Hours volunteering at a soup kitchen.
-3 Months volunteering helping underprivileged inner city youth
-1 Year as secretary of a school culture club
-100 Hours Shadowing 3 MDs, 1 DO

MD School List:

Case Western
Boston University
Dartmouth
U Rochester
Tufts
St Louis
Albert Einstein
SUNY Upstate
U Mass
Wake Forest
Loyola
Hofstra
Virginia Tech
Rosalind Franklin
U Miami
Georgetown
Temple
U Vermont
Thomas Jefferson
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Albany Medical College
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel

DO School List:

PCOM
Rowan

I'd like to go to an allopathic school if possible, but I'd be happy going to an osteopathic school as well. Is 2 Osteopathic schools enough?

Which schools should I delete from my list (ones that I don't have a chance at)?

Which schools should I add (ones that might be worth a shot applying to)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd be super happy if @gyngyn, @LizzyM or @Goro could give their input on this!

Actually I'd be happy if anyone was able to help. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There are more than 20 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance of an interview. That usually way more than enough. You need to put @in front of our screen names for us to be notified!
Got it!

Are there any on my list that you would take away for any reason?

Are there any schools in the northeast worth it for me to reach for besides the ones I already have?

Do you think I still need to apply to DO schools just to make sure I can get in somewhere?

Got it!

Are there any on my list that you would take away for any reason?

Are there any schools in the northeast worth it for me to reach for besides the ones I already have?
You real job is to delete strategically. Consider deleting Netter, Albany RFU...

You real job is to delete strategically. Consider deleting Netter, Albany RFU...

Why do you suggest those specifically? I feel like I have a good shot at Netter and Albany.

I may delete Georgetown because it gets so many apps or Case Western because it may be too much of a stretch for me or Tulane simply because of the location.

Why do you suggest those specifically? I feel like I have a good shot at Netter and Albany.

I may delete Georgetown because it gets so many apps or Case Western because it may be too much of a stretch for me or Tulane simply because of the location.
Look at it from the school's POV. Unless there is some reason to believe the you will matriculate, why would they interview you when the yield is <10%?

Look at it from the school's POV. Unless there is some reason to believe the you will matriculate, why would they interview you when the yield is <10%?

That's really interesting. I had no idea they would consider me to be a low yield applicant since I have such a low GPA. I'd be ecstatic to get an offer from them.

Even so, you would suggest I remove some of the lower stat schools?

That's really interesting. I had no idea they would consider me to be a low yield applicant since I have such a low GPA. I'd be ecstatic to get an offer from them.

Even so, you would suggest I remove some of the lower stat schools?
You are "low yield" because of the high MCAT!
Yes. Look for schools with a median MCAT around 34.

You are "low yield" because of the high MCAT!
Yes. Look for schools with a median MCAT around 34.

Thanks for the unique insight! I'll rework my list a bit.

If a school has an average MCAT at around 34, but my GPA is lower than even its 10% is that something that I shouldn't add to my list?

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn

I've redone my list and cut it down to 24. It's sorted from highest average MCAT to lowest.

1. Which ones near the bottom would still view me as a low yield applicant? I know you mentioned considering deleting Albany and RFU, but they have MCAT top 10% of 35 and 36 respectively which isn't too far from my 37 and I like the location.

2. I removed NY Med, Penn State, Netter and Commonwealth simply due to their low MCAT averages. Do you think I should have kept any of those?

Case Western
Boston University
Dartmouth
U Rochester
Tufts
St Louis
Albert Einstein
SUNY Upstate
U Mass
Wake Forest
Loyola
Hofstra
Virginia Tech
Rosalind Franklin
U Miami
Georgetown
Temple
U Vermont
Thomas Jefferson
Albany Medical College
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel

@gyngyn

I've redone my list and cut it down to 24. It's sorted from highest average MCAT to lowest.

1. Which ones near the bottom would still view me as a low yield applicant? I know you mentioned considering deleting Albany and RFU, but they have MCAT top 10% of 35 and 36 respectively which isn't too far from my 37 and I like the location.

2. I removed NY Med, Penn State, Netter and Commonwealth simply due to their low MCAT averages. Do you think I should have kept any of those?

Case Western
Boston University
Dartmouth
U Rochester
Tufts
St Louis
Albert Einstein
SUNY Upstate
U Mass
Wake Forest
Loyola
Hofstra
Virginia Tech
Rosalind Franklin
U Miami
Georgetown
Temple
U Vermont
Thomas Jefferson
Albany Medical College
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
This is a fine list. You could still delete GT and GW just based on the enormous number of applications they receive (13K+) but that is your call.

This is a fine list. You could still delete GT and GW just based on the enormous number of applications they receive (13K+) but that is your call.
I would like to start school in 2016 regardless. Do you think I need to apply to a few DO as well I case I don't get any MD acceptances?

@Goro any help finalizing my list? I really value your opinion

How does my MD list look? Are schools like Quinnipiac actually going to reject me to protect yield like gyngyn says?

Should I apply to DO schools as we'll to be safe? If so are PCOM And Rowan good choices for my stats?

Last edited:
It's a good list. If you want some DO schools as safeties, PCOM, Rowan, NYIT and Touro-NY would be the four I'd suggest based upon your geography. I think a new schools like Quinnipiac would consider you if you can make the case that you mesh with their mission, and your regional concerns. I agree with the sage gyngyn on deleting Gtown and GWU, maybe replace with Va Tech and/or TCMC.

How does my MD list look? Are schools like Quinnipiac actually going to reject me to protect yield like gyngyn says?
Should I apply to DO schools as we'll to be safe? If so are PCOM And Rowan good choices for my stats?

Case Western
Boston University
Dartmouth
U Rochester
Tufts
St Louis
Albert Einstein
SUNY Upstate
U Mass
Wake Forest
Loyola
Hofstra