low gpa what mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yanks4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
with a sci gpa hovering close to be under 3.0 (2.8ish) what kind of mcat score are we loooking at to gain admission to any east coast school or anything in OH or IL? please don't respond if you're going to say "use the search key" i want to hear from people who may have been in this situation before.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

with a sci gpa hovering close to be under 3.0 (2.8ish) what kind of mcat score are we loooking at to gain admission to any east coast school or anything in OH or IL? please don't respond if you're going to say "use the search key" i want to hear from people who may have been in this situation before.
thanks.

although this is not ideal....i have seen people get with sGPA's of 2.8ish and higher..with a mcat score of about 21 or higher...but it really depends on the circumstances....the person i know...worked full time while doing undergrad, is married and a parent....so their situation was different..... but it can happen... and this is a east coast school...for this fall..
I think if you do get an interview..you really have to make sense of why this is so...my friend did that and the interviewer was actually on her side and said he would talk to the committee to get her thru....

It is very likely that one of the schools will give you an interview if your in the low to mid twenties. At my interviews I do not recall anyone with lower than a 24, but I cannot be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I have a similiar situation in that my parents decided that after my freshman year, due to me not doing what they want me to do (become a dentist or a physician), they would make me pay for my own college so I found a job in the middle of my freshman year and really couldn't recover that year. I have an upward trend and hopefully that will be seen by admissions.. thanks.

Don't worry too much, I have a science GPA of about 2.93 and overall of 2.99. Didn't even take the MCATs took the DATs. I got into the 4 schools that I applied to.

Don't worry too much, I have a science GPA of about 2.93 and overall of 2.99. Didn't even take the MCATs took the DATs. I got into the 4 schools that I applied to.

You still have to have the mcat or dat otherwise they wont let you in.

thanks.

I had roughly the same science GPA and got in everywhere I interviewed. They also take into perspective what you did while you were in college. Were you volunteering a lot, do you have clinical background, most importantly did you shadow a podiatrist. Some consideration is also taken into account is how tough was your undergrad. I got a 25 on my MCAT, but you can get away with lower depending on your circumstances.

I had roughly the same science GPA and got in everywhere I interviewed. They also take into perspective what you did while you were in college. Were you volunteering a lot, do you have clinical background, most importantly did you shadow a podiatrist. Some consideration is also taken into account is how tough was your undergrad. I got a 25 on my MCAT, but you can get away with lower depending on your circumstances.

from what i can gather.... the avg sci gpa seems to be a little over 3.1, yet I see a lot of people posting science GPAs under the average. I'm beginning to wonder how the schools really calculate the "average" gpa.

on another note, with pod schools increasing class sizes (not to mention western)... and other medical schools increasing enrollment- I wonder how this will effect the not that large pool of pre-pods.

At lest a 20. I know you can get into OCPM with that.

from what i can gather.... the avg sci gpa seems to be a little over 3.1, yet I see a lot of people posting science GPAs under the average. I'm beginning to wonder how the schools really calculate the "average" gpa.

on another note, with pod schools increasing class sizes (not to mention western)... and other medical schools increasing enrollment- I wonder how this will effect the not that large pool of pre-pods.

1. from what? SDN?!... c'mon.
2. they all have enrollment caps at the moment so I'm not really sure that they are increasing, do you have a link providing proof of that? yes western is coming, but I cant imagine it having class sizes as large as scholl, temple, nycpm, ocpm, I would assume it would be in between say azpod and dmu in terms of seats.

if you look at the AACPM website under statistics, it seems that some how, some way (i say this in part because of the lackluster approach the APMA has taken in regards to student recruitment until very very recently... and the schools have jusssst started to step up a little bit as well), there are more applicants every year.

speaking of SDN,maybe if we stop telling all the people who post one time asking if a 2.8 18MCAT is "good enough" that they are "in great shape, apply now!" and some how get college premed advisors to follow, the stats would go up.

...a lot of those people end up failing out anyway. if a school had a SOLID (I think that 3.4 24MCAT median is a good place to start) smaller class in which maybe all but a couple stayed all 4 years, they'd of course loose money for a couple of years, until the stats are up and the graduates are more uniform in intellect. word will spread "did you hear that podiatry is as competitive as DO?".

1. from what? SDN?!... c'mon.
2. they all have enrollment caps at the moment so I'm not really sure that they are increasing, do you have a link providing proof of that? yes western is coming, but I cant imagine it having class sizes as large as scholl, temple, nycpm, ocpm, I would assume it would be in between say azpod and dmu in terms of seats.

if you look at the AACPM website under statistics, it seems that some how, some way (i say this in part because of the lackluster approach the APMA has taken in regards to student recruitment until very very recently... and the schools have jusssst started to step up a little bit as well), there are more applicants every year.

speaking of SDN,maybe if we stop telling all the people who post one time asking if a 2.8 18MCAT is "good enough" that they are "in great shape, apply now!" and some how get college premed advisors to follow, the stats would go up.

...a lot of those people end up failing out anyway. if a school had a SOLID (I think that 3.4 24MCAT median is a good place to start) smaller class in which maybe all but a couple stayed all 4 years, they'd of course loose money for a couple of years, until the stats are up and the graduates are more uniform in intellect. word will spread "did you hear that podiatry is as competitive as DO?".

i was using the various schools admissions websites and some literature several schools sent me. All I'm saying is that the #s I have don't match up with aacpm.org. I suppose its what you define "average" as.
Also, Increasing the # of pod schools by 1 sorta seems like a big deal to me, considering there are only 8 schools. Western is Here! its not coming. They are taking students!
I sorta was just assuming using the trends for applicants on aacpm.org- (similar # of applicants) then you increase the total available spaces....I'd expect the this would dilute the stats. But I maybe wrong.
IDK :confused: