low grades and MCAT with good experience. School suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Able to get in to OHSU?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Apply to DO schools only

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Ironjaw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for school suggestions, I've got low grades and MCAT with good extracurriculars.
Here's the quick and dirty:
Oregon Resident
MCAT 27: 8P/12V/7B
GPA 3.3 total, 3.4 science, Exercise science major at top 50 liberal arts school.
Shadow hours: 150 with a mix of rural, ICU and outpatient pulmonology
Patient contact hours: 1500+ (working in clinical research and practicing as an EMT)
Clinical research hours: 2000+ (going on 4.5 years of experience working in clinical research as both PI ans assistant)
Volunteer hours: 1000+ (mix of community service and firefighting)
Peer reviewed publications: 5 total (4 as first author) all in MD reviewed journals best one was Annals of Emergency medicine.
Presentations: 10 with several at national society meetings like DFcon and ACSM
Jobs: Lots of clinical research leadership positions, medic on a wildland fire squad + odd jobs.
Leadership positions in clubs and fraternity throughout college, 2 years as a volunteer firefighter/EMT in my small town.
Good recommendations so far from 3 profs, 2 docs and my fire captain, all who know me well.
I'm particularly interested in programs good for rural family practice and emergency medicine.

Fire away friends!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I wasn't really planning for med school back when I was in undergrad I wanted to do research so it probably looks a little different than other pre-meds. I just fell in love with rural medicine!

Members don't see this ad :)
A 7 in Bio? I'd reject for that at my school. Didn't you learn anything at all in college?

Your numbers are not competitive for OHSU or any other MD school. A 27 is circling the drain territory.
Western-Corvallis and PacNWCOM, probably.

The median MCAT score nationawide is 33, while the median GPAs are 3.6

Well, assuming my application isn't hopeless despite my lower than average MCAT score and GPA, Anyone have rural medicine program recommendations?

A 7 in Bio? I'd reject for that at my school. Didn't you learn anything at all in college?

Roughly 95% of non-URM applicants scored higher than a 7 on BS, unfortunately. If you're set on MD, re-taking may be your best option.

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools that come to mind are all the WV schools, VaTech, both VCOMs, Creighton, TCMC and Quinnipiac.

But first, get into medical school.

Well, assuming my application isn't hopeless despite my lower than average MCAT score and GPA, Anyone have rural medicine program recommendations?

I think it is best for you to retake your MCAT; it would be a shame for your app to get rejected due to that, because your experiences are awesome.

Luckily for you, your verbal is already great, and the sciences are much easier to bring up in score.