Low impact journal to submit case report?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dggopal

Fluffy McFlufferson
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a IMG trying to get some journal pubs to pad my resume for residency apps. I have been working with a cardiology attending who is pretty well known in the field and is assistant PD of an interventional program. He recently gave me a case report to prepare that is somewhat non novel (PE secondary to IE treated with antibiotics and thrombolytics) which I prepared in a way that is advocating the use of anticoagulants and thrombolytics in this patient population. Unfortunately I am getting rejected from low impact journals because its not novel. Wanted to know if anyone on here has advice on a journal that accepts semi mundane case reports or am I just wishfully thinking? This would be my first publication so I have no idea how its supposed to be.

Members don't see this ad.

which journals have you tried?
Did you try case reports of cardiology (hindawi)?
BMJ case reports?
U pay some money to publish for the above but could also be rejected.

Oxford case reports
journal of cardiology care reports (Japan)-not on pubmed

I tried Heart & Vessels, catheterization and cardiovascular interventions and both just straight up rejected the paper. No advice on changes or anything. Anyways, I was hoping to avoid paying to publish but it looks like that's the way its gonna be. At least, with one of the journals you suggested I think I may only have to pay $300 for a whole year of publishing rights. Thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
BMJ is a good journal but I think you have to pay some up fee to publish.

Cardiology is a tough nut to crack with regard to case reports. I'm not sure why the higher impact journals sort of blow it off. Even NEJM has cases (albeit exclusively "from" MGH/referred to MGH) and many of the other sub specialty journals have a lot of case reports.

which journals have you tried?
Did you try case reports of cardiology (hindawi)?
BMJ case reports?
U pay some money to publish for the above but could also be rejected.

Oxford case reports
journal of cardiology care reports (Japan)-not on pubmed

I feel like there's absolutely no point to publishing in a journal that's not pubmed searchable. Nobody will ever know about it.

I feel like there's absolutely no point to publishing in a journal that's not pubmed searchable. Nobody will ever know about it.
Why will people not know about it ? Pubmed is not the only medicine search engine. It's probably the biggest and most popular however if am looking for a paper I actually try other databases.

Other journal worth checking out is Texas heart institute journal or your state medical journal.

Why do you need Pubmed long as the article can be searched and it's from a peer reviewed journal it's weighted the same, kind of. My friend published several of his cases in foreign English journals because they were faster and he needed them for his interviews quick.