Low MCAT advice wanted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any updates on the people who got accepted four to five years ago at the beginning of this thread?

I can't believe that I never posted on here before.

1. 25 YEARS when I started Medical school. Now 36
cGPA 3.85; sGPA 3.5 - MCAT 21

2. I was an LPN from AGE 19-24 then finished my RN/BSN at 24. Made around 12-30k yearly as an undergraduate.
I worked part time all thru undergrad and full time after I graduated from my BSN. After graduation I took the Kaplan review course over 8 weeks in the summer while working full time hours. As an RN I was making about 50k which was awesome for a 24-25 year old at the time!!

3. I was single thru most of undergrad and single thru medical school and residency. Got married last year.

4. My plan to success was initially to take the shortest route. I knew that I always wanted to be a doc, but didn't think I had the stamina to last thru 8 years of school and then training. I knew of no doctors growing up and no one to advise me. My dad immigrated to this country in his late thirties and became an RN at age 42 or so and he was the closest thing to a doctor I knew. I joined the military right after high school and became an LPN to help pay for my college because I didn't know how else to pay for college. Was a US army reservist the whole time and never deployed. Soon as I got out of training in the military, I started Junior college at age 19. Got my associates in science in less than two years and transferred to a private university which I hated as the kids where mostly entitled, privileged sheltered ones who had no idea what the struggle of life was about. I changed colleges and changed my major from Biology back to Nursing because I did research and realized that there was a decent chance I couldn't get into medical school and needed a backup plan if I didn't which would have been grad school in nursing.
Anyway, finished my BSN at the same time continuing my prerequisites at a different school and working 24 hrs a week to pay bills. Took the summer Kaplan course, and MCAT in August. Got a very low score. I wasn't going to apply that year but my friends asked me, what did I really have to lose as in TX the applications were centralized and cheap. So I applied late to four schools in September, got one rejection, didn't fill out the secondaries for one school and never heard from the other. I got a call for a last minute interview as someone cancelled their interview at one school. I drove there within 48 hours of the call, interivewed and got in!!!!

Thank God I lived in TX. I got into a very ethnically diverse school and that really helped my confidence to see so many others who looked like me, a URM

I am now an anesthesiologist making good money, dealing with a lot of the bull**** in medicine, but it sure beats being an RN!!!!

5. What I didn't do right?

Applied too late and missed many deadlines.
Did not apply broadly.
Did not study enough for the MCAT as I was working full time and I know I now that I could have done a hell of a lot more with my time spent studying.

I gave myself three tries/three years to get in and in the end only needed one. My biggest obstacle was the MCAT and had I had to retake it I was going to re-strategize and do much better. But my life experience spoke and good grades spoke for themselves. Never had any problems with the standardized tests in med school or any tests for that matter except the senior year OSCE.

In the end, I took the LONG SCENIC route, and am here living a good life today because of patience and perseverance.

I have no words to explain how your story is inspiring. I have a similar story. I am an RN, and my second MCAT is 22. I have no plan of retaking it as I have full time job and two kids and a lot of other things on my plate.
I am planning to apply this year (2015-2016) to both DO and MD. I know the common and most obvious advice is retake the MCAT. But that is not my option. What is your advice to me?
I have a lot of EC. I teach new ICU nurses during their orientation period. I volunteer in homless clinic since 2008, I plan medical mission trips and travel together. being involved in research. I have a lot of connection with Physians that know me well and are willing to write me LOR.
Any advice, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no words to explain how your story is inspiring. I have a similar story. I am an RN, and my second MCAT is 22. I have no plan of retaking it as I have full time job and two kids and a lot of other things on my plate.
I am planning to apply this year (2015-2016) to both DO and MD. I know the common and most obvious advice is retake the MCAT. But that is not my option. What is your advice to me?
I have a lot of EC. I teach new ICU nurses during their orientation period. I volunteer in homless clinic since 2008, I plan medical mission trips and travel together. being involved in research. I have a lot of connection with Physians that know me well and are willing to write me LOR.
Any advice, thanks!
Apply anyway, as you never know. With older non-traditional students, I believe their applications are looked upon differently with life experiences playing a bigger role, not just stats. Apply broadly, early and definitely apply to the DO schools as they are more forgiving when it comes to scores. However, should you not get in this cycle, then I would buckle down and really concentrate on improving that MCAT. See if you could even work a little less, to give you more time to learn the MCAT material.
Is your science GPA good? Above a 3.4-3.5? If you have any C's I would recommend you retake those courses even at a community college. The MCAT is not the end all be all, but it can be a road block to moving forward. Luckily for me, it wasn't.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!
I have a GPA of 3.7 or greater in both sciences and non.
I will definitely apply broadly and also to DO.
Hope I will never have to deal with MCAT again!
Thank you so much!

Any advice, thanks!

Be prepared to explain to schools how you will balance your personal life with school. Especially schools that have you doing your third year rotations all over.

Frankly, because you are a woman, this will probably come up in residency apps as well, depending on what you apply to.

I will prepare.
Does saying "I have my two kids already so I have no concern about having another child and no plan for maternity leave"

Makes them feel better?

Your GPA is competitive for both MD and DO schools but your MCAT is too low for MD schools so an acceptance to a MD school is unlikely. However, it may be worth applying to your public state schools. Your RN background will help you. For DO schools apply early in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Concentrate on DO schools with lower MCAT medians and newer DO schools. Apply to 15 or more schools to maximize your chances. DO schools to consider include ATSU-SOMA, WCU-COM, ACOM, LECOM (ALL 3 schools), VCOM (ALL 3 schools), LUCOM, CUSOM, UP-KYCOM, MU-COM, LMU-DCOM, WVSOM. Most of these schools have median MCAT's in the 24 to 26 range so you would have a chance for an interview with your good GPA and RN background.There will also be 2 or 3 new DO schools opening for 2016. Burrell in New Mexico looks likely but there may be others. The advantage of applying to new schools is that there are few applicants the 1st year because many applicants are unaware that a new school is opening.

Your GPA is competitive for both MD and DO schools but your MCAT is too low for MD schools so an acceptance to a MD school is unlikely. However, it may be worth applying to your public state schools. Your RN background will help you. For DO schools apply early in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Concentrate on DO schools with lower MCAT medians and newer DO schools. Apply to 15 or more schools to maximize your chances. DO schools to consider include ATSU-SOMA, WCU-COM, ACOM, LECOM (ALL 3 schools), VCOM (ALL 3 schools), LUCOM, CUSOM, UP-KYCOM, MU-COM, LMU-DCOM, WVSOM. Most of these schools have median MCAT's in the 24 to 26 range so you would have a chance for an interview with your good GPA and RN background.There will also be 2 or 3 new DO schools opening for 2016. Burrell in New Mexico looks likely but there may be others. The advantage of applying to new schools is that there are few applicants the 1st year because many applicants are unaware that a new school is opening.

Just so you know, even if you apply to all 3 VCOMs, you only interview for 1. I applied to 2 campuses and received an interview invite at the campus I ranked number 1 on the secondary. Admissions confirmed you only receive 1 interview; save your money by applying to the campus you are interested in.

Hi there, I am in the same boat as you, same stats, although 23 on MCAT, non-trad older applicant. Wonder if you were able to apply this cycle and how are things looking for you?

You guys missed the part where TX looked at her as a URM Plus she has a military background- 2 huge bonuses
Many schools have a strict cut off of 24 MCAT, event with a high GPA

I'm not trying to crush your dreams.... I'm just telling you to be cautiously optimistic

I'm a non traditional applicant, 27 years old. After undergrad I continued and got my MPH and now ready to apply. My undergrad gpa was low (2.7) and had a 3.73 in grad school. Took the new mcat (489). I have excellent extracurricular. Research in Africa, worked in the ER, volunteering. Realistically, I know my chances are low but I'm applying anyways. I'll take the mcat again next year if I need to.

Any encouragement is appreciated.

I'm a non traditional applicant, 27 years old. After undergrad I continued and got my MPH and now ready to apply. My undergrad gpa was low (2.7) and had a 3.73 in grad school. Took the new mcat (489). I have excellent extracurricular. Research in Africa, worked in the ER, volunteering. Realistically, I know my chances are low but I'm applying anyways. I'll take the mcat again next year if I need to.

Any encouragement is appreciated.
A 489=19 old MCAT
Unfortunately, grad school, even MPH, doesn't make up for a 2.7 undergrad
I know you're applying anyway, I do t even know why I bother....

B
A 489=19 old MCAT
Unfortunately, grad school, even MPH, doesn't make up for a 2.7 undergrad
I know you're applying anyway, I do t even know why I bother....

Because my masters degree and extracurriculars are above average. I'm hopeful for a shot at my schools post bacc program and matriculating the next year by proving I can handle the course work.

B

Because my masters degree and extracurriculars are above average. I'm hopeful for a shot at my schools post bacc program and matriculating the next year by proving I can handle the course work.
Tough love: Med schools, generally speaking, could care less about success in an MPH program. Your impressive EC's don't matter from an admissions perspective because your stats are too low.
A post-bac program is not the best course of action for you because your MCAT score is too low. SMP's (if that's what you're referring to) are geared towards low GPA and high MCAT candidates. Don't waste your money.

However, do not lose hope. You can still get into medical school by retaking the science courses in which you received low grades in, get A's in them, and then study for the MCAT properly and take it again. Get your GPA's to 3.2+ via the DO grade replacement system, get your MCAT to at least 500+, and you should have a shot in getting in somewhere. This, in my opinion, is your only option.

Reactions: 1 user
Only if you like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt.

Carib diploma mills prey upon desperate and gullible students like OP.
Do you know anyone who went to the Caribbean? I know multiple. They are practicing like everyone else, no issues and thriving physicians.

Nothing like the sin of solipcism in the morning!

Check out NRMP match stats, and layer that onto the massive attrition rates these schools have.

I'm just saying that these schools are an option for some people. Maybe not for those that want to coast through but it is a real option for some. Like I said, I know many docs who went to Caribbean schools because it was the best option for them. They performed well, matched and are successful. So it isn't all negative.

I'm just saying that these schools are an option for some people. Maybe not for those that want to coast through but it is a real option for some. Like I said, I know many docs who went to Caribbean schools because it was the best option for them. They performed well, matched and are successful. So it isn't all negative.
It's never a good option IMO. Why? You only have about a 25% chance of successfully practicing. With the DO grade replacement system there really is no excuse for going to a Carib school. Unless you can't get the grades and the MCAT score after >2 tries, in which case you would be better off pursuing an alternative career.

Reactions: 1 users