low MCAT, high GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekul

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I have a 3.88Gpa (Both science and non-science) and a 21 MCAT (I know it's pretty low and I won't retake it), I have a BS in bio and a minor in math and physics. I have about 600 hours of volunteer medical experience and I am finishing my CNA certification.
I was wondering if any of you could tell me what my chances were to be accepted to either DO or MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are not a candidate for the HBCU's, or the Puerto Rican schools, your chances for MD are vanishingly small.
If you are an otherwise strong candidate to these schools I give you a 20% chance of success.
I'll defer to others on your DO chances.

hey guys,
I have a 3.88Gpa (Both science and non-science) and a 21 MCAT (I know it's pretty low and I won't retake it), I have a BS in bio and a minor in math and physics. I have about 600 hours of volunteer medical experience and I am finishing my CNA certification.
I was wondering if any of you could tell me what my chances were to be accepted to either DO or MD schools.
Why won't you retake the MCAT?? 21 is too low for probably both MD and DO. Was time a factor, do you have a learning disablity??

I think auto screening will take you before anyone looks at your ECs. Sorry, recommend you rethink the MCAT exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,
I have a:
1. 3.88Gpa (Both science and non-science) and a
2. 21 MCAT (I know it's pretty low and I won't retake it),
3.I have a BS in bio and a minor in math and physics.
4. I have about 600 hours of volunteer medical experience and
5. I am finishing my CNA certification.

1. Good job, solid GPA if that was a stand-alone factor.
2. God-awful MCAT score. Your smartest move would be to study harder and retake it. As is, your chances are infinitessimal for MD schools, and incredibly low for DO schools.
3. OK, but major is irrelevant
4. Perhaps not up to 600, but every applicant has tons of volunteering hours. Not an application booster.
5. Probably not an application booster, any more than having any job at all would be. Nothing "shiny" to adcoms.

Do you have any research? What other extracurricular activities have you participated in? Have you held other jobs? Have you had extenuating circumstances that have made you a better/stronger person? What do you add in terms of diversity to a school?

In summary: You need to retake the MCAT if you want a realistic shot at getting into medical school in the United States. Carrib's would take you since you have a pulse and could (unless you have a drug conviction) receive federal loans, but you'd just get drained of cash with few prospects, even if you somehow managed to do well on USMLE.

Best of luck on your exam preparation, or you may want to get used to the idea of CNA life for quite a while.

Not competitive at MD schools, and not good for DO programs, except maybe the newest one.

Poor MCAT performance is a risk factor for failing out of med school or failing boards.

Suggest other career options if you do not wish to retake the MCAT.

hey guys,

OP, I get the frustration with not wanting to retake the MCAT. I got a 23 my first time, I felt ashamed and depressed. But I knew that I wanted to be a doctor so much that yeah, those post-test feelings hurt but I didn't have time to worry about that. Retook and got a 30 with a better outlook and higher confidence/adjusted testing methods.
There will be plenty of times in our future medical careers that things will look impossible in the distance, but the right attitude helps a lot.
Good luck

Hey OP I know exactly how it feels to do badly on the MCAT but it's definitely worth evaluating why you scored so low in the first place with the idea of retaking it and correcting your previous mistakes. Did you give yourself enough time to study? You have a fantastic GPA which leads me to believe you are capable of doing very well on the MCAT. I know for me I needed time to learn how to take the MCAT as it was a completely different exam than any I had taken before. I also struggled with finding time to juggle work/studying and decided to set aside several weeks just for MCAT prep and also took a course. You can do better, you just have to put your mind to it!

My only issue was the verbal reasoning section ( I had a 4) 9 for bio and 8 for physical sciences. I am an ESL student, played college sports, and did not have enough time to properly prepare but that's all irrelevant now since I am convinced that I should retake it, which I will be doing in about a month and a half.
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately VR is the hardest part. I knew someone who scored poorly on her PS and BS sections because she was lazy and didn't want to do content review or memorize the formulas. However she would consistently score above 11 on the VR section for all the times she sat for the MCAT. I later found out she was a voracious reader who loved to read fiction books from a young age.

Reading is her pleasure activity. There's no way you can go against someone like that when it comes to VR. Unfortunately that's also the best way to prepare for the VR even though it takes years of reading to develop that skill.

If you're not willing to retake it, may I suggest the masters (SMP) program at LECOM? The minimum MCAT they require used to be 20. If you're in the program and do well in the classes, you have guaranteed admission to the DO program.

can OP get into the LECOM SMP with a 4 VR?

Not sure but the OP can look into masters programs offered by DO schools and other DO linkage programs. The fact that he is a ESL student and has a high GPA might excuse his poor VR scores.