MD & DO Low MCATs! Is it still possible??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firebender

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I took MCATs three times, scored in mid 20's first two times. Shockingly and sadly, on the third, I scored lower then first two but in the 20's. To give a little background about my self, I completed my M.S, completed master's thesis, on several publications and have been working in clinical setting for several years. I have hit a major roadblock. Keeping in mind that that doors to allopathic schools have essentially closed for me and chances for osteopthic schools being very slim, I am still very much motivated to pursue medicine. Any comment/advise would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

what are your grades like? info like that is necessary to get advice

So, we're looking at something like 25, 25, 21?

With a 3.55+ GPA you can still go DO. Keep in mind, however, that the MCAT, particularly the BS section, is a big predictor of COMLEX Step 1 performance. Your continued struggles with the exam may not bode well for your success in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, we're looking at something like 25, 25, 21?

With a 3.55+ GPA you can still go DO. Keep in mind, however, that the MCAT, particularly the BS section, is a big predictor of COMLEX Step 1 performance. Your continued struggles with the exam may not bode well for your success in med school.

Thanks for the reply. My undergrad GPA was 3.3 and grad school GPA was 3.5 My most recent BS score was 11

it will be tight but it's possible....have you applied at all before?

it will be tight but it's possible....have you applied at all before?
No i have not applied (not at all in past) for the sole reason that MCAT scores the last two times were low and was banking on the third

Wait, you got low 20s with a BS score of 11? That sounds like two sections with 5s and 6s.

Those scores are really concerning, even for DO. The average MCAT taker (not the average applicant- there were 100,000 takers in 2014, but only 50,000 applicants) is something like 8/8/9: getting a 5 or 6 in VR has some unpleasant implications about your ability to read and apply logic.

Wait, you got low 20s with a BS score of 11? That sounds like two sections with 5s and 6s.

Those scores are really concerning, even for DO. The average MCAT taker (not the average applicant- there were 100,000 takers in 2014, but only 50,000 applicants) is something like 8/8/9: getting a 5 or 6 in VR has some unpleasant implications about your ability to read and apply logic.
I got 7 and 8 in VR in my first and second attempt respectively. On the third my verbal took the most hit which i found to be most shocking! My bio PS score fluctuates +/- 2 points bio improved overall.

What you guys think my options are as far as applying for the next cycle? I def want to go to medical school

I personally think that 21 killed your chances, even next cycle. Downward trends are app killers...