Low Science GPA (2.6), Overall GPA 3.47, MCAT 42. Can I go somewhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyThai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here and would like some advice and help please. Sorry if you've heard this story so many times already:

I'm going to apply soon for medical school or graduate school, but I need some guidance and advice. I messed up in college the first 2 years and can't retake any classes because the lowest I've gotten were C's in many science and math classes. I know it's asking for a lot, but is it still possible for me to go into Medical School? If not, is it possible for me to get an MD somehow by going into gradschool or special programs? Please let me know, I want to go into medical school, but I'm scared that what I have done in college will hurt me hard. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm new here and would like some advice and help please. Sorry if you've heard this story so many times already:

I'm going to apply soon for medical school or graduate school, but I need some guidance and advice. I messed up in college the first 2 years and can't retake any classes because the lowest I've gotten were C's in many science and math classes. I know it's asking for a lot, but is it still possible for me to go into Medical School? If not, is it possible for me to get an MD somehow by going into gradschool or special programs? Please let me know, I want to go into medical school, but I'm scared that what I have done in college will hurt me hard. Thanks again!
Have you gotten As in any upper-level Bio and Biochem to prove you have any science capability? If so, look into SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs forum for GPA boosting programs, attention to Dr Midlife's sticky at the top.

You could probably get into an SMP with that high of an MCAT despite your extremely low sGPA, or at least it is something to look into. An SMP is a special masters program, basically you take med school classes with med students, and if you do well enough (high GPA is a must) you will be considered for admission to med school. Basically, it is a chance to prove you can handle the courses despite your poor undergraduate showing.

Another option is to take classes, at another university if necessary, and get a bunch of A's in science classes. Get your sGPA over 3.0 and some schools may consider you. If you re-take classes you did poorly in, as long as they are the same or greater credit hours as the original class, DO school will allow you to replace the old grade with the new grade (MD school average all attempts together.) This would allow you to raise your GPA much more quickly for DO admission than you possibly could for MD schools.

Whatever you choose, you need to be mindful of when your MCAT will be considered too old for various med schools you want to apply to, since it varies from school to school. The biggest problem is that your sGPA is so low, you may be auto-screened into the reject pile if you try to apply directly to med school without retaking anything or going to an SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you gotten As in any upper-level Bio and Biochem to prove you have any science capability?

Would he benefit from playing the game and jumping through some hoops to make his application more competitive? Sure. But to question the "science capability" of someone who scored in the 100th percentile on a science test is absurd.

Oh I forgot about upper level classes! That will boost my sGPA to 3.19 if I include statistics since I go to UC Davis. If not, it'll be about 3.04. Wow! Thank you for that!

Oh and yes this is my real score. I worked really hard to get it. Thanks to Kaplan!

I took BIS 101, 102, 103, 104 - B,B,A,A in the following order. I got caught up in the other classes I wasn't thinking about these guys :)

I took BIS 101, 102, 103, 104 - B,B,A,A in the following order. I got caught up in the other classes I wasn't thinking about these guys :)
Your chances look a lot better, but you will probably still need an SMP if you definitely want MD. You might get in somewhere without one, but you might not want to take the chance of an unsuccessful application cycle, it is up to you.

ETA: I would be very, very confident of your ability to score a good, linked SMP with your updated sGPA.

Okay I'll try to apply for the SMP. I just looked one up and read up on Mills College for the Post bac. I'm not really familiar with this, but what are your suggestion? I live in California and would like to stay so please let me know. Oh and if I take a year off, do I want to be doing the SMP during that year off?

Sure! Sorry I forgot to do this:

BIS 101 - Gene and Gene Expression
BIS 102 - Structure and Function of Biomolecules
BIS 103 - Bioenergetics and Metabolism
BIS 104 - Regulation of Cell Function

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure! Sorry I forgot to do this:

BIS 101 - Gene and Gene Expression
BIS 102 - Structure and Function of Biomolecules
BIS 103 - Bioenergetics and Metabolism
BIS 104 - Regulation of Cell Function
Getting As in the last two classes is a nice start. What science classes are you taking this term? Does it look like you'll get more As? What science do you have planned for next year?

you know, you would think a 42 would be rare hardly ever seen but on SDN I feel like we get a 40+ on a weekly basis asking for advice. It makes me wonder if AAMC statistics lies, or the people asking for advice, lol.

Reactions: 1 user

Oh I forgot about upper level classes! That will boost my sGPA to 3.19 if I include statistics since I go to UC Davis. If not, it'll be about 3.04. Wow! Thank you for that!

Statistics would be included in the BCPM GPA. I actually think you have a good chance of being accepted. There are still a lot of unknown variables though. How are your extracurriculars and research experiences? Have you developed strong relationships with professions who can write good letters or rec for you? Make sure your personal statement is really good, too. All of this can compensate for a lower GPA, especially if you have an upward trend. You appear to be a California resident since you attend UC Davis. You may already know this but the UCs are some of the most competitive state schools so make sure you research other options out of state, both public and private.

With that being said, I think it's best in general if you only apply once and that it's when you can present your best possible self. If I were you, I would consider taking a year off and taking some extra upper division science/math classes to boost your GPA even higher and finding a job in the health field to gain extra experience.

you know, you would think a 42 would be rare hardly ever seen but on SDN I feel like we get a 40+ on a weekly basis asking for advice. It makes me wonder if AAMC statistics lies, or the people asking for advice, lol.

I'm thinking the same thing. Technically a 42 is the 100th percentile, meaning virtually no one scores that well (i.e., the number of people that score a 42 is so small it's "negligible"). A 42 is truly impressive, more impressive than a perfect SAT score, statistically speaking.

To give you more of an idea of how rare a 42 is, think about how many 7 footers you know in real life. 7 feet is the 100th percentile of height: it is equivalent to an MCAT score of 42. Many people, maybe even most (who aren't NBA fans), will live their entire lives without ever seeing someone who is 7 feet tall.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have a similar question. I am in my 2nd yr. in college, and the only science classes I've taken are Chem and Bio(intros). I think I will be getting a B in each class, and I wi work hard enough to get straight A's in any classes I take from now on for 1-2 more year of community college(one i am in now) and 2 years of University.
Do you think I will be considered for a Med school without doing the SMP thing, or will I have to take it too?
Thanks.

[BTW, when and how do you take a SMP? What is smp? Does it take an additional semester/year to do?]

Do you think I will be considered for a Med school without doing the SMP thing, or will I have to take it too?

[BTW, when and how do you take a SMP? What is smp? Does it take an additional semester/year to do?]
SMP= Special Masters Program, which takes 1-2 years and is meant to boost your GPA when it's too low for consideration by an MD school. You can judge your competitiveness when it's closer to the time you would apply, at which time you would start your own thread to ask your chances.

I'm thinking the same thing. Technically a 42 is the 100th percentile, meaning virtually no one scores that well (i.e., the number of people that score a 42 is so small it's "negligible"). A 42 is truly impressive, more impressive than a perfect SAT score, statistically speaking.

To give you more of an idea of how rare a 42 is, think about how many 7 footers you know in real life. 7 feet is the 100th percentile of height: it is equivalent to an MCAT score of 42. Many people, maybe even most (who aren't NBA fans), will live their entire lives without ever seeing someone who is 7 feet tall.

SDN is the NBA of pre-meds.

if the OP does an SMP wouldn't his awesomely-legit-ridiculously good MCAT expire? If so what if he retakes it after his SMP and scores like 34 or 35 (not doubting the OP's MCAT skills, just wondering and 34/35 is a good score I know)?

SMP= Special Masters Program, which takes 1-2 years and is meant to boost your GPA when it's too low for consideration by an MD school. You can judge your competitiveness when it's closer to the time you would apply, at which time you would start your own thread to ask your chances.

Lol sorry for asking it here? O.O

if the OP does an SMP wouldn't his awesomely-legit-ridiculously good MCAT expire? If so what if he retakes it after his SMP and scores like 34 or 35 (not doubting the OP's MCAT skills, just wondering and 34/35 is a good score I know)?
Most schools expire the score in 2-3 years, with a few giving it 4-10 years. It would be important to keep this in mind so that such a glorious score does not expire at the schools he plans to target.

If a retake were necessary and an SMP had been completed with a 3.7+, then a 34-35 score would still give a good chance of an acceptance somewhere.

Oh and yes this is my real score. I worked really hard to get it. Thanks to Kaplan!
I know this is an old post but I've read Kaplan helps in some and others say it did not. I just started reviewing for the MCAT> even though I have quite some time.