Low Science gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KariD3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need help on what I should do about my low science gpa and I would really appreciate any advice.
I was a nursing major for a semester but I couldn't handle the upper level chemistry and anatomy course they put me in so I switched to biology. I didn't retake those courses again for they were specifically nursing courses. Now I am a sociology major and have been taking some science classes on the side like biochemistry and microbiology that I've been doing well in. However even though I've been doing well in those classes, The reason I changed my major is because I took general chemistry twice and got a F and a D respectively for during that year I had a lot of personal problems. I didn't retake that course again and now my science gpa is 2.5. Now I have 2 F's and 3 D's on my transcript. My cumulative Gpa is a 3.4 though. Do I have any hope of getting into optometry school with a low science gpa like this? Especially now that I'm doing a sociology degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was there a more personal reason why you weren't able to handle the chemistry and anatomy courses? I'm sure you're aware that optometry school is pretty heavy on anatomy, biology and neuro. I can't say for sure what the admission would think of course but it seems that if you are weak at those subjects it might be necessary for you to somehow prove to them that you can do well in those courses. Either by retaking them, or taking some upper level science courses to show you can handle difficult material.

Was there a more personal reason why you weren't able to handle the chemistry and anatomy courses? I'm sure you're aware that optometry school is pretty heavy on anatomy, biology and neuro. I can't say for sure what the admission would think of course but it seems that if you are weak at those subjects it might be necessary for you to somehow prove to them that you can do well in those courses. Either by retaking them, or taking some upper level science courses to show you can handle difficult material.

I was sick for a year and would rather not get into that right now but even though I didn't do well in chemistry I did well in biology.
I have no excuse for my first semester other than I was a naive freshman student who never took any ap science classes and was in over my head. However I am doing well in the extra biology classes right now, the ones that are required for me to get in, including biochemistry. Would that count for anything?

Kari,

Thousands of students bomb their first semester or their first year.

But at the same time, being a good clinician involves a strong background in both science and the scientific method. 2 Fs and 3 Ds in lower level science courses would sort of suggest that maybe science isn't your thing and therefore, maybe optometry isn't the right career path for you. You should really contact the schools you're interested in and ask them their opinion.