Low score on step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

askasp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a US Citizen IMG posting a msg for the first time in this group.I had passed the USMLE Step 1 with a score of 81.Took Step 2 a month back and also the CSA.

I had applied for abt 40 odd OBGYN residency programs all over the US.I would prefer to get into a univ based program almost anywhere.Also had applied to a few community pograms as a backup.I had sent out my applns abt a week back.Not got any calls for the interview.

Can anybody please rate my chances of getting into a good program considering the time my applns were sent and my low scores???
:confused:

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!:)
askasp

Members don't see this ad.

I know a girl from my school, with 80 on both steps, US IMG. A community program in NY called her the day after the match last year and gave her a position. So I don't know if you will get a position at a "good program", but you certainly still have a chance of becoming and ob gyn. Good Luck!

Hi NewGuyBob,
Thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. USIMG step1 only (95). But haven't applied yet!!... probably will tomorrow. USCE, step 2 in a month, csa in dec.

well, unfortunately, i am now in the same boat. i got a stinky 192/78...still in shock. glad i passed, don't get me wrong...but, it is a bit of a surprise. i really thought i would at least approach the mean!

anyhow, it looks like now i will have an uphill battle, unless ob/gyn progs are out there that don't have a cutoff...

my thoughts are get strong LORs, strong audition rotations at hospitals where i have a chance, crush step 2....

am i dreaming, or is it realistic. i know anything is possible, but i am looking for realistic advice. thanks!

bump...

anyone with some words of wisdom, advice? i am a bit concerned that i screwed myself here...

thanks!

HeyNeilC,

Don't despair; there are programs that go unmatched each year, and I think you'd have the best chance at one of those. It all depends on what you want. If you'd be happy with a community program in ob-gyn, that would likely be more within your reach at this moment vs wanting a university program that would position you for a fellowship. But if you rock Step II and get great letters, who knows?

Regardless, I'd probably dare to dream and apply to a range of programs. What can it hurt?

FYI, scutwork.com has lists of unmatched programs, by discipline, for the last 3-4 years.

Good luck to you!

neilc don't despair, I am also interested in OB and have been folllowing the residency trends for the last few years. Fortunately for us IMGs it is getting easier with each passing year, I hope the trend continues. Check out the ACOG CREOG Clearinghouse (web site) and you will find a long list of currently vacant OB positions. As the year progresses and more residents opt out of OB the list gets longer. Good luck and hang in there.

yeah, feeling a bit better. i checked out the APGO directory, and they have average scores for a lot of programs. it seems that very few programs post an average much above 200. so, as long as that score is not a cutoff, i should be ok. some programs post average scores in the 180 range....so, i should be able to find a spot somehwere. and, if i crush step 2, or at least get in the 220 range, things should look up..

a couple of other things make me feel better, too...an unmatch rate around 10%, declining med student interest, etc. also, creog does list some pretty solid programs, especially after PGY-1. just hope the malpractice issues start to look better soon.

just stressing. dissappointed. screw it, though, the test is behind me and nothing i can do now. just want to get a realistic idea of where i can go, what i can do. that way i can focus, and make sure that i make it as easy as possible from hear on out...

thanks for the nice words, guys!

hi can i ask i am a us citizen img with a step 1 of 211 and cs and am gonna apply for my ck in a week also i did an observership for 2 months in the states for cardiothoracix and cardiology in 2011 do i have a chance to match at all this year and what is the likely hood of programs that might take me thanks

i want the residency to be in medicine ,,its possible
you guys think ?