Low stat success stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kkshake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The more I'm on here, the more my stomach turns because people keep posting about their amazing upper 90% MCAT scores and near perfect GPAs, and I still have not received an interview invite....

I just would like to hear some lower stat success stories (I have a 3.64 gpa and a 500 MCAT) ...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The more I'm on here, the more my stomach turns because people keep posting about their amazing upper 90% MCAT scores and near perfect GPAs, and I still have not received an interview invite....

I just would like to hear some lower stat success stories (I have a 3.64 gpa and a 500 MCAT) ...

Did you apply DO also?

Reactions: 1 user
I did, but only 2 are offered in my state, and I really want to try to stay in state (FL)

Members don't see this ad :)
So you only applied to two schools? Your MCAT is really low for MD. But your GPA is okay for MD or DO. How are your ECs?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Shadowing: MD-Ph/D 128 hours, DO 208 hours
Publications : 1
Research: 96 hours
Volunteer: Hospital 136 hours, Habitat for Humanity 124 hours
Work: Clinically related - ~2500 hours; Non-clinically related ~656
Leadership: Relay for Life Director ~120 hours; My job titles (senior, trainer, training coordinator back-up)

So where did you apply? Did you use the MSAR to do research on schools were your stats fit between the 10th and 90th percentiles?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I did, but only 2 are offered in my state, and I really want to try to stay in state (FL)

If I were you I'd add some more DO schools, that's just me though. Do you want to stay in state or do you want to be a doctor?

Isn't it a little late in the cycle to begin applying to more schools? I applied to every school in FL, so the 2 DO schools are LECOM and NSU

Isn't it a little late in the cycle to begin applying to more schools? I applied to every school in FL, so the 2 DO schools are LECOM and NSU

Not really late yet for DO schools...

Diversify your app. DO it.

Dude you should add some more DO schools, unless you'd be happy getting in nowhere rather than a FL school

FL schools are weird. On one hand there's a ton of spots to be had here for the low GPA/MCAT applicant. On the other hand I've never been able to quite figure out a rhyme or reason to who they choose/reject.

I applied with a low GPA ~3.2, but had a good MCAT (35) and they were very receptive. I could totally see you landing a couple interviews if you wrote good essays. I would focus efforts on lecom, nova, and either FIU/FAU or FSU depending on if you're in northern or southern Florida. Those MD schools show significant regional bias as well as IS bias.

I think I will have a success story to post after this cycle. I have a 2.98 MD and 3.09 DO GPA with a 506. Just got another ii this am from one of my state schools :) Feeling pretty confident at this point now. I wish I had ur GPA. I applied to over 30 DO schools and many MD tho. Super expensive cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a success story I am a reapp AAMC: cGPA: 2.98 sGPA: 2.97 MCAT1: 491 MCAT2: 499 AACOMAS: cGPA: 3.2 sGPA: 3.4 after I didn't get accepted I started graduate school which was apart of my back up plan took a Kaplan coarse for my MCAT which helped and finally got accepted don't give up ever just keep pushing

Reactions: 7 users
I think I will have a success story to post after this cycle. I have a 2.98 MD and 3.09 DO GPA with a 506. Just got another ii this am from one of my state schools :) Feeling pretty confident at this point now. I wish I had ur GPA. I applied to over 30 DO schools and many MD tho. Super expensive cycle.

My mind is blown. 7II's with those stats? Congrats on whoever you are or whatever you accomplished you're obviously special in some way past your statistics:claps::claps::claps:

I don't mean that condescendingly either.

My mind is blown. 7II's with those stats? Congrats on whoever you are or whatever you accomplished you're obviously special in some way past your statistics:claps::claps::claps:

I don't mean that condescendingly either.
Thanks! Had an unbelievable cycle and glad to be finished early :) Crazy how I got rejected preII from some new DO schools but got II from Carver, UCLA, Columbia,ect. Never count yourself out! To round it off I ended with two full rides at MD schools :D I broke down with tears of joy after working so hard for so long. Goodluck everyone

Reactions: 10 users
Thanks! Had an unbelievable cycle and glad to be finished early :) Crazy how I got rejected preII from some new DO schools but got II from Carver, UCLA, Columbia,ect. Never count yourself out! To round it off I ended with two full rides at MD schools :D I broke down with tears of joy after working so hard for so long. Goodluck everyone
Are you URM?

Well im slightly scratching my head. That's crazy!

Hey there, I very rarely post here but I saw this and just wanted to check in and tell you not to give up hope! My MCAT was a 504, cGPA: 3.38, and sGPA: 2.97, and I was accepted this cycle at my top choice! Starting med school is going to be the best 30th birthday present I could have ever imagined. Seriously, miracles happen, don’t give up the fight!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey there, I very rarely post here but I saw this and just wanted to check in and tell you not to give up hope! My MCAT was a 504, cGPA: 3.38, and sGPA: 2.97, and I was accepted this cycle at my top choice! Starting med school is going to be the best 30th birthday present I could have ever imagined. Seriously, miracles happen, don’t give up the fight!
Did you do SMP, URM, military?

Did you do SMP, URM, military?

I’m a 29 year old white female, non-military. Didn’t do an SMP, but I did do an 18 credit grad certificate in Applied Gerontology, for which my GPA was a 3.9.

Very disadvantaged background though, homeless, state benefits, grew up in a trailer park, worked in high school to pay family bills, then worked two jobs during college to put myself through Marquette as first gen college student. Ten years clinical experience since then.

The biggest talking point during my interview (and what I ultimately think won me that acceptance letter) was my PTSD from years of child abuse and the fact that I now work for my state’s Department I’d Health Services rehabilitating the most violent sex offenders in the state, and how that has inspired my decision to pursue Medicine.

It’s been a long road - never thought that letter would come!

Reactions: 7 users
Hi!!! Congratulations on your acceptance! Did you do anything post undergrad?