low step 1 score 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolita90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just got my USMLE Step 1 score and the results were disappointing... i got a 211 when i thought i had at least a 230... I really don't know what happened. I am an US citizen, IMG who graduated on July in DR, I have an AS degree on Liberal Arts and Science and worked as a Lab assistant during my undergraduate training at BCC. I also graduated with Honors in my medical school. I would like to know recommendations in order for me to have a chance on the next match ( planning to take CS on March) and Ck by Aug (2018). Any help will be kindly appreciated.
I wanted to go for Anesthesio but with this score I believe it won't be happening. I'll go for IM or FM

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just got my USMLE Step 1 score and the results were disappointing... i got a 211 when i thought i had at least a 230... I really don't know what happened. I am an US citizen, IMG who graduated on July in DR, I have an AS degree on Liberal Arts and Science and worked as a Lab assistant during my undergraduate training at BCC. I also graduated with Honors in my medical school. I would like to know recommendations in order for me to have a chance on the next match ( planning to take CS on March) and Ck by Aug (2018). Any help will be kindly appreciated.
I wanted to go for Anesthesio but with this score I believe it won't be happening. I'll go for IM or FM

I am not sure I understand

You graduated in July from Med School in the Dominican Republic (great country and people, btw) but you just now took Step 1, you have not taken Step 2 CK/CK and you only have an Associates Science Degree? If I understood you correctly, then not having a Bachelors Degree and having a 211 post medical school will hurt you. The graduating with “honors” will be counterbalanced by a 211 score and an AS Degree

I cant imagine you matching if you have a similar score for Step 2 CK. Hold off on CS and ace CK first. Then you can brag about honors from medical school if you crush Step 2 CK

You really need to get a screaming score on CK so focus on that, and also assess what happened for Step 1. A Step 1 230 score is around the national mean. Being an IMG will only confirm to PDs that you will be a liability due to your 211 especially after finishing MD school

Prove them wrong with a Step 2 CK score way above the national mean. Get help with your preparation if possible

buena suerte

I am not sure I understand

You graduated in July from Med School in the Dominican Republic (great country and people, btw) but you just now took Step 1, you have not taken Step 2 CK/CK and you only have an Associates Science Degree? If I understood you correctly, then not having a Bachelors Degree and having a 211 post medical school will hurt you. The graduating with “honors” will be counterbalanced by a 211 score and an AS Degree

I cant imagine you matching if you have a similar score for Step 2 CK. Hold off on CS and ace CK first. Then you can brag about honors from medical school if you crush Step 2 CK

You really need to get a screaming score on CK so focus on that, and also assess what happened for Step 1. A Step 1 230 score is around the national mean. Being an IMG will only confirm to PDs that you will be a liability due to your 211 especially after finishing MD school

Prove them wrong with a Step 2 CK score way above the national mean. Get help with your preparation if possible

buena suerte
ok