Low step 1 score and PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chilicheesedog

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received my step 1 score and to my surprise got a 201. I was predicted at 220, but what's done is done. Anyways, I've been interested in PM&R since the beginning of my second year and was shooting for a score higher than 220 because I want to match at a top 10 program. I'm a DO student and want to get some serious advice on whether matching at a top 10 PM&R program is doable.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to ACE the comlex without submitting your step score, or try a Family med rotation which can take you to a subspecialty similar to PMR. Your other option is to do really well on STEP 2 so they can see a trend and might get you a spot

Try to ACE the comlex without submitting your step score, or try a Family med rotation which can take you to a subspecialty similar to PMR. Your other option is to do really well on STEP 2 so they can see a trend and might get you a spot

Really bad idea to pretend never have taken the USMLE.

Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately PMR is an uphill battle for you, but I would still shoot for it and just have a strong back up like FM. Forget about top 10 programs, that dream is dead.

I agree it is a terrible idea to pretend as if you have never taken Step.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys for the honesty! I will keep pursuing PM&R and apply broadly and improve my step 2! I will definitely keep FM as a backup.