low step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xarkx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i recieved my step 1 score just now.., i got 226 :( ....., how much should we score in step 2,, inorder to get internal medicine? i am an img...,,

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing you can do about Step I now. Focus on Step II from this point forward. For prep you should get one of the larger question banks (USMLE Rx for example) and do it throughout the year along with your classes. This will help you in class as well as prep for the boards. When you get to your dedicated study time concentrate on the notes you took over these questions and then focus completly on UWorld. Try to do a complete pass (random, timed) and take notes on rights and wrongs. Then do the ones you got incorrect again. Then reset and repeat this. If you do this your school will go up.

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
i recieved my step 1 score just now.., i got 226 :( ....., how much should we score in step 2,, inorder to get internal medicine? i am an img...,,

i thought scores are not being released until July 10th... and its not a Wednesday!! what gives?

I know IMGs with way lower scores than that who matched this past year, and still needing a Visa. A 226 is a solid score and will get some interviews in community IM programs.

Can't say I would recommend it as a good-odds bet being an IMG and matching with below average Step scores.

ya i took nbmes as well,,, i got around 240s..,, i never expected this...,, according to the report my performance is low in behavioural sciences,,,, all others were above borderline

i took my exam on 26th april...,,, actually my score was kept on 16th of this month,,, i got email notification on 17th

ya i took nbmes as well,,, i got around 240s..,, i never expected this...,, according to the report my performance is low in behavioural sciences,,,, all others were above borderline

That's fairly normal for non US-IMGs.

My roommate hit 255-265 on his NBMEs, got rocked by behavioral and got a 243.

Members don't see this ad :)
CDI, based on your replys on this post I can tell you have a golden personality. I think that will help you make your way into most residency programs.

Thanks alisepeep!

You're giving me far too much credit though. I'm just being honest based on what I've personally seen in last years match turnout.

Fact is, based on stats alone Match Day is devastating for >50% of IMGs every year. For every 1-2 kids who scored lower than OP and got Visas and residency at a university program, theres another with similar/higher scores who after 2 long years and $50k spent, could not match (after finishing Step 1-3) and left back to his home country instead. However, I prefer not to constantly highlight the negatives when people are still trying to get chase their goals.

if not internal medicine...,,, what are all other clinical options left for that score..,,,, :)

Does going to a community based IM program hurt chances of getting a competitive fellowship (GI or Cardiology) or does it not matter?

Psych also accepts lower scores.
But do follow your dream, I know an IMG with ur score who got into surgery and an H1B visa at a prestigious program. Of course, he scored 20 points higher on Step II.
This score is low by SDN standards, but I saw a stat (don't remember where) that said the mean Step I score for IMGs is 212. So.. :)

I think it definitely hurts chances. Thats the reason why Univ programs are so competitive.

I think it depends on the fellowship. There are some subspecialties in IM that have most of their fellows from community programs.
As I said, the real world is different from SDN :D

I think it depends on the fellowship. There are some subspecialties in IM that have most of their fellows from community programs.
As I said, the real world is different from SDN :D

Well, yeah, theres more community hospitals than there are university programs. :laugh:

Obviously there are some programs where most are from these comm. hospitals. University programs cant fill all the spots, and/or the candidates just don't want to. This is like AMG vs. IMG, fellowships will usually prefer the Univ. candidate over the comm. hospital candidate.

Psych also accepts lower scores.
But do follow your dream, I know an IMG with ur score who got into surgery and an H1B visa at a prestigious program. Of course, he scored 20 points higher on Step II.
This score is low by SDN standards, but I saw a stat (don't remember where) that said the mean Step I score for IMGs is 212. So.. :)

Yeah, 212-215 might be around the average, but 50% dont match...

Cheer up ole' pal, I know a current resident at Darthmouth-Hitchcook in Orthopedic surgery who got a 207 on their Step-1. Don't hang your hat up just yet.

I know IMGs with way lower scores than that who matched this past year, and still needing a Visa. A 226 is a solid score and will get some interviews in community IM programs.
A 226 and a good step 2 score will get you IM in the midwest at the least. Try to find out what RP's are IMG friendly. Good luck