Lower GPA, 35 MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pio97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I appreciate any suggestions on some schools I should apply to or things I could do to improve my application! My GPA is lower than I would like but I am done with undergrad after this semester and it wont change much.

I took an extremely hard course load to be able to graduate in 4 years with a masters in bioengineering, do they factor this when considering GPA?

cGPA 3.65
sGPA 3.58
MCAT 11B 13P 11V

~4 year-starter and captain of a ranked D1 tennis team (not football/basketball obviously but this still eats up ungodly amounts of time since it is year-round)

~200 hours / 2.5 years volunteer work in cardiac nursing unit

~EMT-B cert with 50-100 hours of ride-alongs

~100 hours / 1 year volunteer tutor for underprivileged youth

~Multiple shadowing experiences

~6 months of research in a heart tissue lab (no anticipated publication but I will continue)

~Also important to mention I was doing paid tutoring and teaching tennis lessons during both the school year and summer to pay for school.

Anything else I can do improve application? My state school and choice is Colorado. Other than that I was thinking lower-tier privates like Creighton, Loyola, Tulane, etc.

What are some reach schools and other ones I could be competitive at?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Colorado
Creighton
SLU
Tulane
Loyola
Georgetown
George Washington
MCW
Temple
NYU
Maybe some SUNYs and Texas SOMs that are OOS friendly?

Do you have ties to any other states?

What is MCW?

Thank you those all seem like the type I might have a shot at. I dont have ties to any other states outside of some family in Omaha (Creighton is my second choice).

Are the SUNYs and publics in Texas OOS friendly?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is MCW?

Thank you those all seem like the type I might have a shot at. I dont have ties to any other states outside of some family in Omaha (Creighton is my second choice).

Are the SUNYs and publics in Texas OOS friendly?

As far as I know there are no Texas schools that are really OOS friendly at all. And SUNYs are not that OOS friendly either, but there is always a chance (Stony Brook being the highest at 26.6% OOS). But there is always Albany and NYMC which are considered "lower tier" and also Hofstra which is new, all have no in-state preference.

See this link:

http://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/2012factstable1.pdf

EDIT: I actually looked at your stats though and they are pretty good, I wouldn't consider them low at all. I would just apply to schools you could see yourself going. You'll probably get into your state school your GPAs are average for matriculants (and med schools will consider you were BME) and MCAT is awesome.

Colorado
Creighton
SLU
Tulane
Loyola
Georgetown
George Washington
MCW
Temple
NYU

I would add Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Jefferson, and NYMC. SUNYs aren't very OOS friendly, and neither are Texas schools.

Thanks everyone. I would like to stay out west if at all possible. Would USC/Baylor/Vandy be worth applying to as reach schools? Or is that unrealistic? Thank you for your honesty.

Thanks everyone. I would like to stay out west if at all possible. Would USC/Baylor/Vandy be worth applying to as reach schools? Or is that unrealistic? Thank you for your honesty.
All three are reasonable choices. Vanderbilt had 5647 applications (94% OOS). Baylor had 5521 (73% OOS). USC had 7335 (49% OOS).

Colorado loves applicants w tons of clinical experience and community service. Your stats are already competitive esp w your MCAT.

Try to put that EMT licence to use and get a few months working under your belt. Also, get some non-clinical volunteering to add to your app besides the tutoring. Both will really help you at CO (and also at other schools).

All three are reasonable choices. Vanderbilt had 5647 applications (94% OOS). Baylor had 5521 (73% OOS). USC had 7335 (49% OOS).

Baylor may receive many OOS apps, but since it is given money by the state of Texas to favor instate students, only 25% of the matriculants are OOS. So, it's not like a typical private.

Vandy is notorious for rejecting pre-secondary. You can try, but don't expect much.
Vandy is in the South, so not within your desired region.

The desire to stay in the West could be a problem. The West has too many premeds all trying for a very limited number of seats. You're most likely going to find success in the MidWest.

Baylor may receive many OOS apps, but since it is given money by the state of Texas to favor instate students, only 25% of the matriculants are OOS. So, it's not like a typical private.

True, but I believe that the OOS% accepted is higher. The acceptees just choose to go elsewhere.

Colorado
Creighton
SLU
Tulane
Loyola
Georgetown
George Washington
MCW
Temple
NYU

Why are you suggesting NYU? Their mean GPA is 3.8, and the 10th percentile is 3.57.

I appreciate any suggestions on some schools I should apply to or things I could do to improve my application! My GPA is lower than I would like but I am done with undergrad after this semester and it wont change much.

I took an extremely hard course load to be able to graduate in 4 years with a masters in bioengineering, do they factor this when considering GPA?

cGPA 3.65
sGPA 3.58
MCAT 11B 13P 11V

~4 year-starter and captain of a ranked D1 tennis team (not football/basketball obviously but this still eats up ungodly amounts of time since it is year-round)

~200 hours / 2.5 years volunteer work in cardiac nursing unit

~EMT-B cert with 50-100 hours of ride-alongs

~100 hours / 1 year volunteer tutor for underprivileged youth

~Multiple shadowing experiences

~6 months of research in a heart tissue lab (no anticipated publication but I will continue)

~Also important to mention I was doing paid tutoring and teaching tennis lessons during both the school year and summer to pay for school.

Anything else I can do improve application? My state school and choice is Colorado. Other than that I was thinking lower-tier privates like Creighton, Loyola, Tulane, etc.

What are some reach schools and other ones I could be competitive at?

Thanks.

AZCOM is OOS friendly and seems not as focused on GPA. Mine was significantly lower than yours and I received an interview invite. (Florida Resident)