Lower than expected GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robj_30

Reaction score
Hi all,

I graduated with a 3.3 gpa
527 MCAT score
Fluent in sign language
Elementary Spanish
2 years of research in chemistry
Military veteran
Pharmacy technician

- am I competitive fire medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any physician shadowing? How about clinical experiences -face to face contact with patients? How about nonclinical volunteering dealing with the unserved/underserved in your community? URM? State of residence?

Reactions: 2 users
More like "higher than expected MCAT". What were the circumstances of your GPA? Did you take 8 semesters straight through as a full-time student or did you do a patchwork or courses at different schools while on active duty? Was there a disruption to your coursework (e.g. catastrophic injury, illness, natural disaster)? Did you do well or poorly in the pre-reqs? Was the research full-time after graduation or while in school? If not full-time for 2 years, what is the estimate of hours dedicated to research? did it result in any presentations or publications?

You might be better off using the template and submitting a "what are my changes" post in that sub-forum. As it is, if you haven't already applied, you won't/shouldn't be applying until June 2022.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

527 MCAT score
Fluent in sign language
Elementary Spanish
Military veteran
Pharmacy technician

What were your year-by-year gpas.

If you do not have a steeply rising GPA Trend, the discrepancy between the GPA and the MCAT score is eye opening, and that's not a good thing

Reactions: 1 users
I was the victim in a car accident December 2nd, 2019. That inhibited my ability to take my final exams. Being a newly transferred student at a university, I notified my professors of the incident days before instead of weeks before - even providing them the paperwork. Still, I received a grade instead of a pass/fail/incomplete. I took those classes over again and received an A in pre-calculus (spring semester), C in Biochemistry, and C- in molecular Biology (both in summer semesters.). I also suffered from some mental health issues during my transition from the military back to civilian life.

More like "higher than expected MCAT". What were the circumstances of your GPA? Did you take 8 semesters straight through as a full-time student or did you do a patchwork or courses at different schools while on active duty? Was there a disruption to your coursework (e.g. catastrophic injury, illness, natural disaster)? Did you do well or poorly in the pre-reqs? Was the research full-time after graduation or while in school? If not full-time for 2 years, what is the estimate of hours dedicated to research? did it result in any presentations or publications?

You might be better off using the template and submitting a "what are my changes" post in that sub-forum. As it is, if you haven't already applied, you won't/shouldn't be applying until June 2022.
I conducted research for two years once I transferred to a university from community college and did that straight through. Each semester was worth 2 credits and included a summer research program with a summer symposium funded through Bristol Myers squib. Total hours I would estimate around 300

Any physician shadowing? How about clinical experiences -face to face contact with patients? How about nonclinical volunteering dealing with the unserved/underserved in your community? URM? State of residence?
My state of residence is in NJ. I am taking a gap year and plan to do that prior to submitting my application next Spring.

I took 9 semesters straight through with once of the semesters being only 2 classes. Those were the only two classes I needed to complete my program at community college prior to transferring to a university

Hi all,

527 MCAT score
Fluent in sign language
Elementary Spanish
Military veteran
Pharmacy technician

Wow are you me? We have almost the exact same profile, I thought I was an outlier. I have similar GPA, MCAT, research, and military status lol. I also speak basic Spanish.

I have no info to help you right now but I’m applying this year so maybe at the end of the year I can help you out.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
The grades on retake in biochem and molecular biology leave something to be desired but having been in a crash that precluded you from sitting for the final exams is a legit reason for having a transcript full of Fs (or whatever) for a semester.

You need clinical experience (at least 150 hours), you need shadowing (at least 50 hours but don't go over 100) and at least 150 hours of community service although that is less pressing given that you were a volunteer in the military.

Good luck! Glad @iHawk_MD is blazing this trail for you.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
As long as you can clearly articulate what led to your low GPA and it sounds like you've been thinking about it, it shouldn't be an absolute limiter. As long as you don't freeze up answering the question your MCAT score should satiate many thoughts about whether you could handle a science curriculum. As others have said, if you get some clinical experience and shadowing hours you'll be in a good spot.

Being from New Jersey (hi!) Is advantageous because there are an absolute ton of medical schools to apply to both in-state and out-of-state private. Also make sure to research what schools are veteran friendly or have a strong relationship with a regional or local VA.

For example, I went to University of South Florida in Tampa and they are intimately connected with the Tampa Polytrauma VA. Rutgers is also a school that is very veteran friendly.

Good luck and thank you for your service!

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I was the victim in a car accident December 2nd, 2019. That inhibited my ability to take my final exams. Being a newly transferred student at a university, I notified my professors of the incident days before instead of weeks before - even providing them the paperwork. Still, I received a grade instead of a pass/fail/incomplete. I took those classes over again and received an A in pre-calculus (spring semester), C in Biochemistry, and C- in molecular Biology (both in summer semesters.). I also suffered from some mental health issues during my transition from the military back to civilian life.
Contact you schools and see if you can retroactively withdraw from those courses. This is a thing at some schools. The worst that they will tell you is "no".

Contact you schools and see if you can retroactively withdraw from those courses. This is a thing at some schools. The worst that they will tell you is "no".
OP you really need to look into this possibility. It will make a big difference on your application. As it stands now all of the grades you have ever earned are counted in your GPAs. There is no grade replacement. As @Goro said, the worse they can say is no. And they might just do it. Good luck.

Wow are you me? We have almost the exact same profile, I thought I was an outlier. I have similar GPA, MCAT, research, and military status lol. I also speak basic Spanish.

I have no info to help you right now but I’m applying this year so maybe at the end of the year I can help you out.

great minds think alike 😬

Thank you!!!

That MCAT, if it is real and not just wishful thinking, will give some schools the motivation to dig into the application. I do think that a super-high MCAT will screen you in at some schools.
Thank you Lizzy!!!

I will make sure to physician shadow
As long as you can clearly articulate what led to your low GPA and it sounds like you've been thinking about it, it shouldn't be an absolute limiter. As long as you don't freeze up answering the question your MCAT score should satiate many thoughts about whether you could handle a science curriculum. As others have said, if you get some clinical experience and shadowing hours you'll be in a good spot.

Being from New Jersey (hi!) Is advantageous because there are an absolute ton of medical schools to apply to both in-state and out-of-state private. Also make sure to research what schools are veteran friendly or have a strong relationship with a regional or local VA.

For example, I went to University of South Florida in Tampa and they are intimately connected with the Tampa Polytrauma VA. Rutgers is also a school that is very veteran friendly.

Good luck and thank you for your service!

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
thank you!