Lowest stats for acceptance in a perfect situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

About28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious to see what people's opinions are on this. Could be useful for future generations of premeds to look at.

So here's my question:
What do you think are the lowest stats someone could have so that if they do everything else more or less perfectly, there is no reason they shouldn't be accepted somewhere. This assumes that the applicant has all the necessary ECs with one or two things to set them apart, they apply as early as possible, no red flags whatsoever, decent LORs, well written PS and other essays, they apply very broadly and interview well.

Remember, this is more about the lowest safe stats, not the lowest you've ever heard of. I also understand that you should aim for the highest stats possible but that's not really what I'm asking.

My opinion would be a 3.6 and a 32, but that could be low.

Members don't see this ad.

It's about a lot more than stats.

There's no real answer to this question. Interpretation of an applicant's stats is highly dependent on everything else about the applicant, including his ethnicity, economic background, school attended, program, parental education, etc etc. And the interview is always a big factor; personality, conviction, passion, etc., all play into it and you can't just brush that over with "it's all great!"

There's no real answer to this question. Interpretation of an applicant's stats is highly dependent on everything else about the applicant, including his ethnicity, economic background, school attended, program, parental education, etc etc. And the interview is always a big factor; personality, conviction, passion, etc., all play into it and you can't just brush that over with "it's all great!"

I would certainly agree that everyone is different and that there is more to an application than gpa and mcat, but at the same time a lot of us premeds look very similar to each other and generally speaking, stats play a very large role in acceptances. I still think it's a fair question, but then again I'm a naive premed and this process can seem soulless from time to time from my perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in with a 2.8/35. I've seen people get in with a 3.0/27, so clearly "3.6/32" is not the floor if everything else is perfect.

Reactions: 1 users
3.6/32 is a way high estimate IMHO. I think the 10th percentile of accepted students for each school, reported by MSAR, would be a better metric to use for the situation you describe. I also self identify with this population having what most would consider a "good" application but mediocre GPA and MCAT so I have some added perspective. To me a 3.5 gpa and a 28+ will get you in somewhere given that you apply broadly and sink your soul into every essay/interview.

Note: SDN tends to inflate every stat requirement and isn't exactly a clear indicator of reality. Take the neurotic people worrying about their 34/3.8 apps with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
3.6/32 is a way high estimate IMHO. I think the 10th percentile of accepted students for each school, reported by MSAR, would be a better metric to use for the situation you describe. I also self identify with this population having what most would consider a "good" application but mediocre GPA and MCAT so I have some added perspective. To me a 3.5 gpa and a 28+ will get you in somewhere given that you apply broadly and sink your soul into every essay/interview.

Note: SDN tends to inflate every stat requirement and isn't exactly a clear indicator of reality. Take the neurotic people worrying about their 34/3.8 apps with a grain of salt.

I seriously got a PM yesterday from someone with a 4.0/4.0/32 with a first-author credit, four pubs, and 1000+ quality volunteer and leadership hours who wanted me to give an "honest" and "realistic" assessment of his chances.

I was like "wut."

Reactions: 6 users
3.3/27 seems to be the hard cut off where you might want to consider delaying your application cycle to improve or look into some D.O schools. I've seen many accepted with that stat on this forum and mdapplicants but an acceptance below those numbers is rare and usually due to some unique asset/experience an applicant possess.

I tried pretty hard to keep what I've read in sdn out of my estimate but maybe it creeped through a little.

I seriously got a PM yesterday from someone with a 4.0/4.0/32 with a first-author credit, four pubs, and 1000+ quality volunteer and leadership hours who wanted me to give an "honest" and "realistic" assessment of his chances.

I was like "wut."

I would say that was from a troll, but a troll would probably go way higher with the mcat

I tried pretty hard to keep what I've read in sdn out of my estimate but maybe it creeped through a little.

I would say that was from a troll, but a troll would probably go way higher with the mcat

I am 100% sure it was not a troll.

I was like "wut."

Lol, I believe that 100%. I used to laugh at these type of folks and go on with my day but the more I see examples like that the more I'm bothered. You have to question if the person either has a serious lack of self-worth, delusional idea of medical school requirements, or is just in desperate need of having their ego stroked.

As one member once said, neurotic people are neurotic.

I've received/seen similar PMs and WAMC threads of individuals who I can confirm were not trolling.

I've received/seen similar PMs and WAMC threads of individuals who I can confirm were not trolling.

In their defense, one out of every five people with a 3.7 and a 37 MCAT doesn't receive an acceptance. Now I'm *guessing* that the one person either applied late or had red flags or didn't apply broadly. I guess what I was originally asking was at what point are the stats low enough where if you do everything right there is still a decent chance you won't get a single acceptance.

In their defense, one out of every five people with a 3.7 and a 37 MCAT doesn't receive an acceptance. Now I'm *guessing* that the one person either applied late or had red flags or didn't apply broadly. I guess what I was originally asking was at what point are the stats low enough where if you do everything right there is still a decent chance you won't get a single acceptance.

I think a lot of those people are ones who just don't really care about being a doctor. Applied to a handful of top schools on the advice of their parents, maybe failed to send a couple of secondaries, weren't that into it to begin wtih. Maybe got an interview but obviously wasn't that dedicated to medicine, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
1000% agree with my young colleague.

Go look at MSAR's ranges for the different schools. You'll see the floors for each. Stop thinking like a pre-med who thinks that all you need to do is "have this, have that check box and I'll be a doctor." It's the entire packet that counts, because most of the applicants are clones of each other.

What do you think are the lowest stats someone could have so that if they do everything else more or less perfectly.

In addition to what @Goro said, there's no such thing as a perfect app. A "perfect" app is 100% open to interpretation. You can't have someone who overcame hardship "perfectly" or had the "perfect" amount of leadership or volunteering, or a "perfect" LOR. Race/ethnicity is a factor in apps too, there's no "perfect" race obviously. Basically, it's impossible to answer your question.

Come on man, don't make us pre-meds look worse than we already do :laugh:

In addition to what @Goro said, there's no such thing as a perfect app. A "perfect" app is 100% open to interpretation. You can't have someone who overcame hardship "perfectly" or had the "perfect" amount of leadership or volunteering, or a "perfect" LOR. Race/ethnicity is a factor in apps too, there's no "perfect" race obviously. Basically, it's impossible to answer your question.

Come on man, don't make us pre-meds look worse than we already do :laugh:

Like I said earlier, by perfectly I meant no red flags, applying early, applying broadly etc. etc. What I did not mean is the premed version of Jesus you thought I was talking about

I don't know, but as a reapplicant with a GPA a little over 3.4 and 34 MCAT, I keep having mini panic attacks thinking about what I will do if I don't get in. I did apply DO this time, but nothing is guaranteed. Ever feel like you're getting old too fast and running out of time?? I don't think I should feel that way at 26 :scared:

I don't know, but as a reapplicant with a GPA a little over 3.4 and 34 MCAT, I keep having mini panic attacks thinking about what I will do if I don't get in. I did apply DO this time, but nothing is guaranteed. Ever feel like you're getting old too fast and running out of time?? I don't think I should feel that way at 26 :scared:

your mcat is awesome though. best way to avoid getting panic attacks is to not let SDN stress you out too much.

i think 3.4 /3.2 spga and 27 with atleast 8 in verbal

I know someone who got into medical school with a 25 MCAT and his GPA was good. It was like a 3.6-3.7 and he had good ECs so the question is hard to answer because ECs can play a big role.

people get accepted with 7s in verbal all the time
I'm just curious to see what people's opinions are on this. Could be useful for future generations of premeds to look at.

So here's my question:
What do you think are the lowest stats someone could have so that if they do everything else more or less perfectly, there is no reason they shouldn't be accepted somewhere. This assumes that the applicant has all the necessary ECs with one or two things to set them apart, they apply as early as possible, no red flags whatsoever, decent LORs, well written PS and other essays, they apply very broadly and interview well.

Remember, this is more about the lowest safe stats, not the lowest you've ever heard of. I also understand that you should aim for the highest stats possible but that's not really what I'm asking.

My opinion would be a 3.6 and a 32, but that could be low.

An 8 in verbal is more safe IMO

edit: especially if we are considering someone with a relatively low gpa

people get accepted with 7s in verbal all the time

I certainly agree with you there, but it would take some luck/ sections of the application that make up for the 7 in verbal. My question was aiming more at what scores do you need to have to not require luck or something to make up for it.

So yes I agree that plenty of people get in with 7s in verbal, I'd be losing sleep applying with a 7.