M.D. Chances cGPA=3.96 sGPA=3.95 MCAT 28

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zmayo56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody has suggestions on schools I should apply to. I am retaking my MCAT August 16th as I scored under my avg. the first time (11 6 11). In one of my LOR my professor talked about my great critical thinking skills, which will hopefully help me with such a horrific VR score.

-I am a first generation college student
-Caucasian

I have:
400 hrs research
100 hrs shadowing including 30 hrs watching surgery
100 hrs medical volunteering
250 hrs non-medical volunteering
Semester Study Abroad (taught Italian children English)
150 hrs as Organic Chem TA

Solid LOR
Vice President of a health club

My Schools so far:
Iowa
Nebraska
Creighton
Rush
Arizona Tuscon
Arizona Phoenix

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, that 6 will screen you out at almost every MD school. No LOR will ever substitute for or help you with your MCAT, no matter how good the letter is. You'll need to get at least an 8 on your VR the 2nd time around to be considered for MD schools. If you do get a 30 (your other 2 subset scores remain the same), then you chances will be a whole lot better. You should add more mid to lower tier schools, such as MCW, Loyola, and E Virginia. You may want to start applying to DO schools, too, since your next MCAT won't come back until mid September, which will make your app somewhat late for MD standards.

So I just got my retake score back and I am SO disappointed. I scored an 11 8 10 for a total of 29. I don't know why I did so poorly as I felt decent about this exam. There is not much that I can do now though. Do I stand a chance anywhere or should I just call it a cycle? Should I apply to any other MD schools such as MCW?

Also, would people recommend me submitting an AACOMAS or do people think it is too late for this also?

PLEASE HELP

Members don't see this ad :)
If you submit AACOMAS within the next week or so and pre-write secondaries you wouldn't be too late.

So I just got my retake score back and I am SO disappointed. I scored an 11 8 10 for a total of 29. I don't know why I did so poorly as I felt decent about this exam. There is not much that I can do now though. Do I stand a chance anywhere or should I just call it a cycle? Should I apply to any other MD schools such as MCW?

Also, would people recommend me submitting an AACOMAS or do people think it is too late for this also?

PLEASE HELP

70%+ chances at MD is a good odd IMO... You can go ahead and submit for DO, which you should be a shoo-in for... In any cases I think you will likely end up at an MD school if your MD application is already verified and your secondaries are ready to be submitted. Use DO as a back up... I don't think you should apply to more than 5 DO schools...

Last edited:
I am already verified and have secondaries for rfu, Minnesota, and mcw ready to go. I have already submitted secondaries to the schools in the original post. Would you recommended me submitting these secondaries?

I should also add I got a drinking ticket 16 months ago.

Thanks for the response

70%+ chances at MD is a good odd IMO... You can go ahead and submit for DO, which you should be a shoo-in for... In any cases I think you will likely end up at an MD school if your MD application is already verified and your secondaries are ready to be submitted. Use DO as a back up... I don't think you should apply to more than 5 DO schools...

Can somebody help me with a school list?

I am thinking of adding Drexel, GWU, RFU, and MCW. Do I have a chance at these places or do they already have too many applications to be competitive? I am not a state resident for any of these schools.

Can somebody help me with a school list?

I am thinking of adding Drexel, GWU, RFU, and MCW. Do I have a chance at these places or do they already have too many applications to be competitive? I am not a state resident for any of these schools.

those are all good choices based on your stats, i believe MCW superscores so youll have a 30 in their books

drexel and gwu do get a ton of OOS applicants, but you might as well take a shot