M.S. degree and Specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

egpndoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you enter dental school with a Masters degree under your belt (in like Biochemistry or Molecular Biology or some other science like that), would it help your chances in obtaining a residency, or is it just a stepping stone to get into dental school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

egpndoc said:
If you enter dental school with a Masters degree under your belt (in like Biochemistry or Molecular Biology or some other science like that), would it help your chances in obtaining a residency, or is it just a stepping stone to get into dental school? Thanks.

I am not sure why are you asking this question? Are you in the MS program?

It's waste of time to first get your MS and then apply to dental school JUST to become more competitive for a residency, however, if you are already in the MS program and decided to go to dental school, I don't think the extra degree is going to hurt you.

your grades in dental school and your board scores will help you specialize. the masters won't help for the most part, but i guess it could help you get in if you had identical stats than someone else ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I believe the previous two posts are somewhat incorrect.

If given two competitive applicants, programs would gladly choose the one with the master's degree, all other things being equal. There's no question about it.

A master's is a GREAT item to have on your CV, especially when it comes ot some of the top residency programs in endo and ortho.

ItsGavinC said:
Actually, I believe the previous two posts are somewhat incorrect.

If given two competitive applicants, programs would gladly choose the one with the master's degree, all other things being equal. There's no question about it.

A master's is a GREAT item to have on your CV, especially when it comes ot some of the top residency programs in endo and ortho.

I must respectfully disagree. Not that I have any grounds or authority to. But I doubt anything you do before dental school will get you an interview. I think it's all score, rank, letters and essay. Once you get an interview, the interview and how they like you as a person is what gets you accepted or ranked high. Just my impression. But who knows?

balance said:
I am not sure why are you asking this question? Are you in the MS program?

It's waste of time to first get your MS and then apply to dental school JUST to become more competitive for a residency, however, if you are already in the MS program and decided to go to dental school, I don't think the extra degree is going to hurt you.
Yes Im asking because I am currently in an MS program and I am going to be starting dental school this summer. Ive heard people say that the Masters will help me in specializing, but I dont know if its heresey. I just wanted to know peoples opinions or experiences. iwas waitlisted last year, so i figured Id get my masters in Biochemistry and molecular biology to improve my chances for the current cycle rather than take a few classes or just work. Anyways thanks to everyone for their opinions. If anyone knows anyone I can ask please let me know.

DDSSlave said:
I must respectfully disagree. Not that I have any grounds or authority to. But I doubt anything you do before dental school will get you an interview. I think it's all score, rank, letters and essay. Once you get an interview, the interview and how they like you as a person is what gets you accepted or ranked high. Just my impression. But who knows?

I dunno, it's always been impossible to get inside the mind of an adcom or program director.

I know many programs ask for high school transcripts, whether or not they actually use them at all is up-in-the-air.

But who says the master's has to be done before high school? I was referring to a degree being done DURING dental school. There was a thread a couple of months ago about this, and it seems that those currently in residencies or those in the process of applying thought it was a great idea to have a master's degree when applying to post-grads.

ItsGavinC said:
I dunno, it's always been impossible to get inside the mind of an adcom or program director.

I know many programs ask for high school transcripts, whether or not they actually use them at all is up-in-the-air.

But who says the master's has to be done before high school? I was referring to a degree being done DURING dental school. There was a thread a couple of months ago about this, and it seems that those currently in residencies or those in the process of applying thought it was a great idea to have a master's degree when applying to post-grads.
Ill do a search for this thread, what keyword should i use?

i think someone in a thread a while back (jediwendell?) mentioned that an MPH could possibly help you get into Pedo.

ItsGavinC said:

Getting a masters during dental school I think could help a bit in cases where you mentioned two applicants were otherwise the same. I just doubt postgrad adcoms put much stock in what you've done before dental school. For what it's worth, I think this applies more to ortho, endo, omfs. Pedo has and always will be kind of a wild card specialty. You never know what they're interested in.

it definitely will not hurt to have one when applying for specialties
i know san antonio orthodontics actually seek these kinds of applicants, and you dont have to do a masters for the ortho program here if you already have an advanced degree (ms or phd) in anything. one lady has a phd in genetics, another guy has an ms in hotel administration. they are exempt from the master's requirement for ortho, strange but true.
so basically i wouldnt go out of my way get a masters before dschool just to be a better specialty applicant, but if you are already in grad school it wont hurt you one bit

egpndoc said:
Yes Im asking because I am currently in an MS program and I am going to be starting dental school this summer. Ive heard people say that the Masters will help me in specializing, but I dont know if its heresey. I just wanted to know peoples opinions or experiences. iwas waitlisted last year, so i figured Id get my masters in Biochemistry and molecular biology to improve my chances for the current cycle rather than take a few classes or just work. Anyways thanks to everyone for their opinions. If anyone knows anyone I can ask please let me know.

Honestly it depends----I have a friend that was in a similar situation. (MS chemistry) She had a great grad gpa 3.7 and ok college 3.4. So grad helped her in the sense that she demonstrated the ability sustain a good gpa during rigorous schooling.

As far as specializing or being a better candidate for a specialty position----very unlikely. You will need so much more than your previous background. Such as: a great board score, good recommendations, some extracurricular activities and high class rank (if calculated) to land a specialty position. Throw all your background stuff away and focus on being a top dental student-----I promise you the competition will be fierce for the top specialties (heck almost any specialty) and a MS will really mean nothing if the fore mentioned aren't met. Want an advantage ----get published during your dental school years in a peer-review journal by doing some outstanding research, hit 90+ on your boards, befriend some good professors, and get great grades. If it comes down to your MS degree to help you get into a specialty program -it would rank in importance near the size of your feet :D

Good luck in school, don't worry about specializing too much this early---it's nice to have an idea but there is some much to learn (like waxing #30 :laugh: ) it's more important to get great grades-----otherwise, everything else is for naught.

Best of luck

Dr.2b said:
Good luck in school, don't worry about specializing too much this early---it's nice to have an idea but there is some much to learn (like waxing #30 :laugh: ) it's more important to get great grades-----otherwise, everything else is for naught.

It's sad when waxing #30 is an important stepping stone to residency programs. Sad but true.

Dr.2b said:
Honestly it depends----I have a friend that was in a similar situation. (MS chemistry) She had a great grad gpa 3.7 and ok college 3.4. So grad helped her in the sense that she demonstrated the ability sustain a good gpa during rigorous schooling.

As far as specializing or being a better candidate for a specialty position----very unlikely. You will need so much more than your previous background. Such as: a great board score, good recommendations, some extracurricular activities and high class rank (if calculated) to land a specialty position. Throw all your background stuff away and focus on being a top dental student-----I promise you the competition will be fierce for the top specialties (heck almost any specialty) and a MS will really mean nothing if the fore mentioned aren't met. Want an advantage ----get published during your dental school years in a peer-review journal by doing some outstanding research, hit 90+ on your boards, befriend some good professors, and get great grades. If it comes down to your MS degree to help you get into a specialty program -it would rank in importance near the size of your feet :D

Best of luck
I know I have to have great board scores as well as a great rank in my class to specialize. By no means did I think that the M.S. degree alone would get me in. I was just wondering if it would give me an edge. honestly I don't even know if I want to specialize, just asking for some advice because I noticed some post-graduate programs you get your MS while doing the residency. Thanks for the advice.