Macaulay Honors at Hunter vs Stony Brook Honors College

BraveLeader

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to Stony Brook's Honors College and to the Macaulay Honors College at Hunter. I will be a pre-med student and I will probably major in either biology or biochemistry. I was wondering if you guys could please help me choose between the two colleges.

Macaulay Honors College at Hunter - $0
Pros:

-A full tuition scholarship.
-New laptop (currently the MacBook Air)
-Opportunities Fund grant to support global research, study abroad service, and internships ($7,500)
-Specialized small courses
-Personalized academic advising
-Free dorming in Manhattan for the first year (and possibly second). After that, dorming only ~6000k a year.
-Dorms are single rooms
-Location (Manhattan) is better
-Lower student to faculty ratio than Stony Brook (11:1)
-Priority course registration

Cons:
-Not as well known as Stony Brook for the sciences/pre-med
-No real campus/ugly buildings
-Commuter school (I fear that I'll meet less people/make less friends)
-No meal plan for dorming
-The dorms are not near Hunter's main campus
-Dorms are old/outdated. May have a mice/insect problem.
-Dorms may close within the next few years. The administration says that they will try to find us alternative housing if the dorms do close but nothing is guaranteed. Commuting is possible but I would really rather not commute, as I value the dorming experience.

Stony Brook Honors College - $21,142
Pros:

-Very well-known school for the sciences/research
-Priority registration/housing
-Specialized sections of courses
-Opportunities to participate in special symposia, trips, and other co-curricular activities
-Housed together in dorms
-Dorms are nicer and better equipped, and more conducive to social activity (suite-style dorms)
-Meal plan
-Real campus experience
-Opportunities to make more friends/social life

Cons:
-The location sucks
-It costs 21k a year vs 0 for Macaulay
-Stony is infamous for its weed-out bio courses
-It still has a lot of commuters, though not as many as Hunter
-The dorms are not singles (single rooms are a big plus). Slight possibility of being tripled for my freshman year.
-The student to faculty ratio is higher (16:1)

Once again, I am planning on going to medical school after undergrad. Also, on a side note, I was also accepted to Brown University's PLME, which is a bs/md program with the Warren Alpert Medical School. There is no GPA requirement to stay in the program and I wouldn't have to take the MCAT. But I've pretty much ruled it out because I'd have to pay about 55k a year for each of my undergrad years and take on student loans. But should I reconsider it? I will not have to take on student loans if I go to Stony Brook or Hunter.

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me decide between these two colleges (and on the possibility of Brown). Also, if you have ever attended one of these programs, or know someone who has, please let me know about their experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was recently accepted to Stony Brook's Honors College and to the Macaulay Honors College at Hunter. I will be a pre-med student and I will probably major in either biology or biochemistry. I was wondering if you guys could please help me choose between the two colleges.

Macaulay Honors College at Hunter - $0
Pros:

-A full tuition scholarship.
-New laptop (currently the MacBook Air)
-Opportunities Fund grant to support global research, study abroad service, and internships ($7,500)
-Specialized small courses
-Free dorming in Manhattan for the first year (and possibly second). After that, dorming only ~6000k a year.
-Dorms are single rooms
-Location (Manhattan) is better
-Lower student to faculty ratio than Stony Brook (11:1)
-Priority course registration

Cons:
-Not as well known as Stony Brook for the sciences/pre-med
-No real campus/ugly buildings
-Commuter school (I fear that I'll meet less people/make less friends)
-No meal plan for dorming
-The dorms are not near Hunter's main campus
-Dorms are old/outdated. May have a mice/insect problem.
-Dorms may close within the next few years. The administration says that they will try to find us alternative housing if the dorms do close but nothing is guaranteed. Commuting is possible but I would really rather not commute, as I value the dorming experience.

Stony Brook Honors College - $21,142
Pros:

-Very well-known school for the sciences/research
-Priority registration/housing
-Specialized sections of courses
-Opportunities to participate in special symposia, trips, and other co-curricular activities
-Housed together in dorms
-Dorms are nicer and better equipped, and more conducive to social activity (suite-style dorms)
-Meal plan
-Real campus experience
-Opportunities to make more friends/social life

Cons:
-The location sucks
-It costs 21k a year vs 0 for Macaulay
-Stony is infamous for its weed-out bio courses
-It still has a lot of commuters, though not as many as Hunter
-The dorms are not singles (single rooms are a big plus). Slight possibility of being tripled for my freshman year.
-The student to faculty ratio is higher (16:1)

Once again, I am planning on going to medical school after undergrad. Also, on a side note, I was also accepted to Brown University's PLME, which is a bs/md program with the Warren Alpert Medical School. There is no GPA requirement to stay in the program and I wouldn't have to take the MCAT. But I've pretty much ruled it out because I'd have to pay about 55k a year for each of my undergrad years and take on student loans. But should I reconsider it? I will not have to take on student loans if I go to Stony Brook or Hunter.

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could help me decide between these two colleges (and on the possibility of Brown). Also, if you have ever attended one of these programs, or know someone who has, please let me know about their experience.
choose the one that save you the most money. Otherwise your debt will be HUGE.