Magical WW Signups and Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Based off of MQs role, I thought Jil was?
Nope, I actually told the truth, I was the village blocker and I had a one time ability to either cancel lynch or cancel night.

And why was I not seered?!? I was up for lynch three days in a row and no one thought to look into me?

so please don't take this the wrong way, but I feel like new mods should *probably* try modding a less complicated game before getting in to stuff like this. It helps get an idea of how balancing works because there's always something you don't anticipate.

That's why we recruited kaydubs, for balancing purposes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to second this question...

I was kind of confused when he seemed to have an "ask-the-mods" role since that was my ability and it seemed like an odd ability to duplicate but honestly even here at the end of the game I don't have a clue what he could actually do.
I still don't know what my actual role did lmao. I modified it to make it work for what I wanted to do

So, this was my actual strategy for playing the game. As the ability seer I figured my mission was to firstly find someone with some sort of villager protection or resurrection abilities, in order to keep myself safe, until such time as I could track down the person I thought of as the actual seer ('The Seer', ie the affiliation seer, the person who can identify wolves from villages). At that point, provided of course I was still alive, I was going to match 'The Seer' up with, well pretty much as much villagery based protection, resurrection, blockage, and whatever else I could have ability seered to ensure they were basically the Fort Knock of Seers. I figured after that, apart from then turning my attention to trying to hunt/strategise against the wolves, my main mission was done so I no longer really needed to be protected the way I might have earlier on when I was still trying to locate the actual (affiliation) seer. That's why I was being so damn annoying that first lynch cycle, trying to clarify or double check every 5 seconds as to whether something I was seeing/reading was an example of strategy I'd been reading about, or not, and being so cagey about lynching the wrong person, because I was so worried that I was going to accidentally end up lynching *The* Seer (even though it hadn't been confirmed to me that any other seers besides me were in the game, I still had to assume the game had an affiliation seer role in it just because I thought a WW game without an affiliation seer would be highly unusual to say the least - again based on my prior, and continuing research into the game and it's variants and roles/abilities/common strategies, etc, before and during actual game play).

The night I was killed I had dropped a subtle hint to Genny, who I'd already pegged as rating high on my 'suspicions of wolf' metre, that I had an ability that could be useful to both wolves and villagers, just in different ways. I was trying to give someone I was pretty sure was a wolf a subtle 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink, keep me around I could be of value to you' kind of message to hopefully at least make the wolves think twice about killing me off until they knew a bit more about how I might be able to help them (which I had no intention of doing, but they weren't going to know that had I stayed in the game). After I ability seered VMH, and then went off on a Mythology tangent, because I wasn't sure about VMH being wolf or villager I had intended to send VMH a pm revealing who I was and fully playing up the angle of 'I can't see who is wolf and who is villager, so the wolves could end up manipulating me into using my ability to find protectors for themselves, or even worse finding the affiliation seer and killing them off *gasp shock horror* and this is something that could totally happen because I'm a newbie and I have no idea what I'm doing *innocent look*'. But that plan ended up getting all ballsed up thanks to my having a sleep disorder that occasionally likes to throw me into non circadian cycles of sleep, which at the time meant I didn't actually sleep during the time when I was statuefied (which was night time my time), and instead my sleep clock/cycle didn't kick back in until day time (again, my time) just after my character had been unstatuefied and before night actions were due. By the time I'd written up my little 'um gee, spot the former table top role player' spiel of what had happened, and shot the breeze a bit in thread, I was really starting to crash out to the point that I thought 'okay, I just need to sleep now, I'll send VMH a pm when I wake up - after all I've already hinted to Genny that I have an ability that would be useful to the wolves, and if she's a wolf, and for some reason the rest of the wolves figure out what I mean by that/what my ability is, then I'll still be covered because they'll think twice about killing a player off that could be used to their advantage' (or at least that's how I would have played it had I been a wolf, like 'Holy bleep we've identified an ability seer! Quick, everyone start acting as villagery as possible so we can rope them into working for us and they can help us track the actual seer, whilst hopefully pointing us in the direction of extra protection for our wolfy selves' and then kill the person off once they are of no more strategic use or value).

Nope, I actually told the truth, I was the village blocker and I had a one time ability to either cancel lynch or cancel night.

And why was I not seered?!? I was up for lynch three days in a row and no one thought to look into me?

Um, I seered you but I was blocked and couldn't see your ability, and besides that it was on the same night I was killed. To be honest I can't pinpoint exactly what made me seer you when my plan was to seer my own group first, I just had a feeling that you were someone I needed to check out.

So, this was my actual strategy for playing the game. As the ability seer I figured my mission was to firstly find someone with some sort of villager protection or resurrection abilities, in order to keep myself safe, until such time as I could track down the person I thought of as the actual seer ('The Seer', ie the affiliation seer, the person who can identify wolves from villages). At that point, provided of course I was still alive, I was going to match 'The Seer' up with, well pretty much as much villagery based protection, resurrection, blockage, and whatever else I could have ability seered to ensure they were basically the Fort Knock of Seers. I figured after that, apart from then turning my attention to trying to hunt/strategise against the wolves, my main mission was done so I no longer really needed to be protected the way I might have earlier on when I was still trying to locate the actual (affiliation) seer. That's why I was being so damn annoying that first lynch cycle, trying to clarify or double check every 5 seconds as to whether something I was seeing/reading was an example of strategy I'd been reading about, or not, and being so cagey about lynching the wrong person, because I was so worried that I was going to accidentally end up lynching *The* Seer (even though it hadn't been confirmed to me that any other seers besides me were in the game, I still had to assume the game had an affiliation seer role in it just because I thought a WW game without an affiliation seer would be highly unusual to say the least - again based on my prior, and continuing research into the game and it's variants and roles/abilities/common strategies, etc, before and during actual game play).

The night I was killed I had dropped a subtle hint to Genny, who I'd already pegged as rating high on my 'suspicions of wolf' metre, that I had an ability that could be useful to both wolves and villagers, just in different ways. I was trying to give someone I was pretty sure was a wolf a subtle 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink, keep me around I could be of value to you' kind of message to hopefully at least make the wolves think twice about killing me off until they knew a bit more about how I might be able to help them (which I had no intention of doing, but they weren't going to know that had I stayed in the game). After I ability seered VMH, and then went off on a Mythology tangent, because I wasn't sure about VMH being wolf or villager I had intended to send VMH a pm revealing who I was and fully playing up the angle of 'I can't see who is wolf and who is villager, so the wolves could end up manipulating me into using my ability to find protectors for themselves, or even worse finding the affiliation seer and killing them off *gasp shock horror* and this is something that could totally happen because I'm a newbie and I have no idea what I'm doing *innocent look*'. But that plan ended up getting all ballsed up thanks to my having a sleep disorder that occasionally likes to throw me into non circadian cycles of sleep, which at the time meant I didn't actually sleep during the time when I was statuefied (which was night time my time), and instead my sleep clock/cycle didn't kick back in until day time (again, my time) just after my character had been unstatuefied and before night actions were due. By the time I'd written up my little 'um gee, spot the former table top role player' spiel of what had happened, and shot the breeze a bit in thread, I was really starting to crash out to the point that I thought 'okay, I just need to sleep now, I'll send VMH a pm when I wake up - after all I've already hinted to Genny that I have an ability that would be useful to the wolves, and if she's a wolf, and for some reason the rest of the wolves figure out what I mean by that/what my ability is, then I'll still be covered because they'll think twice about killing a player off that could be used to their advantage' (or at least that's how I would have played it had I been a wolf, like 'Holy bleep we've identified an ability seer! Quick, everyone start acting as villagery as possible so we can rope them into working for us and they can help us track the actual seer, whilst hopefully pointing us in the direction of extra protection for our wolfy selves' and then kill the person off once they are of no more strategic use or value).
Sometimes there ISN'T an affiliation seer. You were pretty hung up on deciding what was strategy and what wasn't. Pretty much EVERYTHING is strategy in one way or another. And people who have played this game a lot aren't going to rely on "traditional" strategy because the point is to make people trust you whether you are trustworthy or not.

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes there ISN'T an affiliation seer. You were pretty hung up on deciding what was strategy and what wasn't. Pretty much EVERYTHING is strategy in one way or another. And people who have played this game a lot aren't going to rely on "traditional" strategy because the point is to make people trust you whether you are trustworthy or not.

Yes, absolutely, for my first game I definitely overthought, over researched, and tried to approach the game from every conceivable angle possible (except perhaps the right one) whilst also planning ten steps ahead and trying to prepare for all eventualities. Hey, at least no one can say I wasn't being enthusiastic. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users

Holy load of tl;dr.....

Less wordage next time. ;)

Reactions: 5 users
I'm curious. Since you seemed to be the only one who did... at what point did you know I was the convert?
You did well, not until after the LIS lynch! Well, to be fair, when you justified me and got ally on your side for the LIS lynch, I was pretty positive, but you did a great job!

Members don't see this ad :)

An ability seer is an actual seer, and can be quite the asset in finding wolves.

For example...

If you seered Genny, you'd find she could kill twice and that she couldn't be lynched until none her faction remained.
If you seered me, you'd find out I could attempt to drown someone every other night.
If you seered VMH, you'd find out she could silence any player who attempted actions on her.
I'm not sure what would have happened if you seered Gwen, but you may have been told her affiliation would not be revealed to an affiliation seer.

All of those abilities are decidedly wolfy, and would have gotten any of us lynched if you'd brought them up on thread.

That is why we killed you immediately--you knew VMH's ability, and we couldn't have you sharing it. Nor could we risk you seering any of the rest of us.

So don't kick yourself too hard for oversleeping. You wouldn't have convinced us to keep you around no matter what you said. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You can't just change someone's win condition halfway through the game without telling them or the game designers just for ****s and giggles. :laugh:

To be fair, I knew it happened, I just didn't know what the new one was :p
Neither did the people who wrote the game, apparently. :laugh:
Either way, a faction's win conditions should be set at the beginning of the game. The progression of a game needs to be determined by the players themselves (not modly whims) and a pre-determined set of rules.

Did (or would have depending on which mod I am asking :p) me and DY win together? Or were we completely separate?

Did (or would have depending on which mod I am asking :p) me and DY win together? Or were we completely separate?
I think the mods who wrote the game and didn't try to change win conditions willy nilly in the middle of it are the ones who reign in this situation. Sorry, bud, you didn't win. ;)

Meh we had fun with roles/abilities/mechanics. We were ambitious, and we learned stuff. There's always stuff to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I get that. but it's better to do it in small doses. and then work up to games like this.

True. Maybe then I wouldn't have messed up so many night actions. Lol. (sorry lotf)

And known my win conditions :p.

In all seriousness, I think you guys did a great job for your first time! Coming from someone who did too much on their first time modding, I think you might have overreached a tad, but as you can tell, I had TONS of fun this game (and I hope YE had some fun watching ME antics)

The balance was probably off, mostly stemming from items, but it's an easy mistake to make as a first time mod.

Finally, what did my role ACTUALLY do? Lol

And known my win conditions :p.

In all seriousness, I think you guys did a great job for your first time! Coming from someone who did too much on their first time modding, I think you might have overreached a tad, but as you can tell, I had TONS of fun this game (and I hope YE had some fun watching ME antics)

The balance was probably off, mostly stemming from items, but it's an easy mistake to make as a first time mod.

Finally, what did my role ACTUALLY do? Lol

Nothing! Dy was the chaos character that was supposed to have the power :laugh:

I would just like to say, re: win conditions and shenanigans... the night I was killed Hayley sent me an ask-a-mod item, which I used for:

Hmm. Do I trust STL with info about chaos.... let's trust but verify. Sort of a waste but I feel I may not be long for this world anyway.

Question: may chaos win only with villagers? (aka not on their own and not with the wolves)
Later clarifying a little bit more to also include neutral. And lo and behold, I was not long for the world, and STL was sketchy with chaos. :dead: Could have saved a lot of grief if you damn wolves hadn't been oh so mean. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I think you couldn't hide your true self? So the item overpowered your ability.

The problem with this is, there was no affiliation seer (player) in the game. So when Gwen's role description said she would seer as villager, that could *only* apply to items. If an item can seer through her unseerableness just because the item maker requests that it does, you've not only made the wolf's role moot, but you've made them unnecessarily reckless because they might invite or try to draw seering based on the rules you told them were in place.

I mean, to be fair Gwen, you'd already outed yourself as a wolf to the genie by mentioning the neutral/potato info. Depending on whether BBC sat on that or not, you'd been indirectly "seered" via that mechanism.

I mean, to be fair Gwen, you'd already outed yourself as a wolf to the genie by mentioning the neutral/potato info. Depending on whether BBC sat on that or not, you'd been indirectly "seered" via that mechanism.
True, which was a complete derp on my part. But the seering snafu was a curious thing for me

An ability seer is an actual seer, and can be quite the asset in finding wolves.

For example...

If you seered Genny, you'd find she could kill twice and that she couldn't be lynched until none her faction remained.
If you seered me, you'd find out I could attempt to drown someone every other night.
If you seered VMH, you'd find out she could silence any player who attempted actions on her.
I'm not sure what would have happened if you seered Gwen, but you may have been told her affiliation would not be revealed to an affiliation seer.

All of those abilities are decidedly wolfy, and would have gotten any of us lynched if you'd brought them up on thread.

That is why we killed you immediately--you knew VMH's ability, and we couldn't have you sharing it. Nor could we risk you seering any of the rest of us.

So don't kick yourself too hard for oversleeping. You wouldn't have convinced us to keep you around no matter what you said. :D

Yep, I can see all that now - but at least from how I remember things being worded by the mods when I seered VMH, my own tangential mythology overthinking aside, the ability wasn't told to me like it was a wolf or villager thing. It wasn't defined as an attack or a defense, or anything really apart from (basic paraphrasing) 'You use your power on VMH, you are now blocked/silenced for X amount of time, under Y conditions, oh and by the way, you're also a statue'. I'd have to go back and re-read exactly what I was told, but at the time I do remember thinking that knowing ability alone was not going to lead to an insta!reveal on who the wolves were, and that I was going to have to pay more attention to what was happening in the game thread. But yes I can now see how a seer, is a seer, is a seer (ad infinitum) and I did probably get hung up on the idea of 'oh, I'm the 'lesser' seer, I can present myself as not being a threat/having potential to be manipulated for wolf gain'. And of course my other big problem first game, in hindsight, was that I did slip too easily into the roleplay days of old & had a mental 'script' for the game prepared in advanced.

But at least I did attempt to have some sort of strategy, it may not have been a very good one, but there was a strategy there somewhere. :laugh: