Making a comeback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koreyj24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a URM (AA male and rural area resident) Arkansas resident with 3.42 GPA. If you take out a particularly bad year during which I was ill my GPA is a 3.63. My MCAT was a 27 with 07 PS 11 VR 09 BS. Some research in bioinformatics lab (minimal) ;about 100 hours of volunteer experience between ER and specialty care clinic. SMDEP alum (University of Louisville); worked for a year as an RA. Two one day shadowing experiences (neurologist and orthopedic surgeon). What chances do I have for MD?

Members don't see this ad.

I am by no means an expert, but I think there are specific URM slots you can hunt for. I was just reading that there are like ~900 URM-specific slots total in the US, so I would do some homework and find them.

As for your chances overall, you don't need me to tell you that your numbers are low. I think your chances for DO are okay, but MD, in general, is going to be a challenge.

Apply to a LOT of schools. 30+

I am by no means an expert, but I think there are specific URM slots you can hunt for. I was just reading that there are like ~900 URM-specific slots total in the US, so I would do some homework and find them.

As for your chances overall, you don't need me to tell you that your numbers are low. I think your chances for DO are okay, but MD, in general, is going to be a challenge.

Apply to a LOT of schools. 30+
There are no "slots" for UIM. There are so few applicants from these communities that there tends to be competition for those that do apply.

There are no "slots" for UIM. There are so few applicants from these communities that there tends to be competition for those that do apply.

I see. I must have misunderstood what I read! :oops: