Mal-Practice Insurance!?.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mystic river 00

Mystic River 00
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the amounts of mal practice ins. the various types of physicians have to dish out? what types of doctors pay the most in the long run, taking into consideration their salary and their mal practice ins. ?

What about physician assistants? Do they pay mal-practice ins. too?

..eh..people sue in uncontrolable amounts these days... :thumbdown:

igracias todos!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know exact figures, but my PCP told me something pretty disturbing. She said that her malpractice insurance went up 15K last year and she didn't even get sued. Also of note, she's a family practitioner. Can you imagine what the hike was for surgeons?

The premium drs pay for malpratice insurance depends on 1. the location 2. the speciality and 3. the type of practice the dr is involved in. Drs in IL, PA, and FL are hit the hardest. Specialties such as neurosurgeon, obgyn and EM are having the biggest problems.

For example, a neurosurgeon in chicago pays up to $283,000 for malpratice insurance. A obgyn in miami pays $210,576.

mystic river 00 said:
Does anyone know the amounts of mal practice ins. the various types of physicians have to dish out? what types of doctors pay the most in the long run, taking into consideration their salary and their mal practice ins. ?

What about physician assistants? Do they pay mal-practice ins. too?

..eh..people sue in uncontrolable amounts these days... :thumbdown:

igracias todos!

Members don't see this ad :)
xathanx said:
How do doctors make a profit then?

I work in ob/gyn at Yale in CT. If you work for a hospital sometimes they pay for your malpractice ins. I was told by my boss (physicaian/surgeon) that ob's in CT pay over $150,000/yr. for their coverage. I know he also dabbles in realestate, etc..many docs look for other means of income. How sick is it that even doctors have to look for second jobs :scared:

A Ped in private practice in Northern VA pays ~13k a year.

Will we be covered against malpractice liabilities while we're in medical school? We will be interacting with actual patients and performing actual procedures with an amount of risk and certainly a higher likelihood of screwing up. I would think that we'd be covered with a blanket policy held by the schools or teaching hospitals but I just don't know. Anybody know about this?

physical medicine & rehab (PMR) physicians pay roughly 30 grand in Pennsylvania

isnt it true that doctors who have admitting rights have lots of their insur cost coverd by the hospital?

drguy22 said:
isnt it true that doctors who have admitting rights have lots of their insur cost coverd by the hospital?

In some cases, yes.

You could just work in academics or the military...then you never have to worry about malpractice insurance ;) You typically make less though...

dopaminophile said:
Will we be covered against malpractice liabilities while we're in medical school? We will be interacting with actual patients and performing actual procedures with an amount of risk and certainly a higher likelihood of screwing up. I would think that we'd be covered with a blanket policy held by the schools or teaching hospitals but I just don't know. Anybody know about this?

Yes. I'm pretty sure some minimum amount per student is actually an accreditation requirement.