Marijuana Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

el799

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a buddy who is in an odd situation. He's currently looking for his gap year jobs and has 2 options. Firstly, he's a chemist and wants to continue chemistry for that year. His options are to work for one of the big name pharma companies (relatively low paying) or he has an offer to work for a legal marijuana extraction lab that comes with a blow your mind kind of starting salary but is afraid this may bring negative looks to his med school apps and even later in his career if he ends up not going the med school route. Thoughts?

PS. the position is still a chemistry position

Members don't see this ad.

Why doesn’t he just stick to the extraction lab and work his way up?

Hi all. I have a buddy who is in an odd situation. He's currently looking for his gap year jobs and has 2 options. Firstly, he's a chemist and wants to continue chemistry for that year. His options are to work for one of the big name pharma companies (relatively low paying) or he has an offer to work for a legal marijuana extraction lab that comes with a blow your mind kind of starting salary but is afraid this may bring negative looks to his med school apps and even later in his career if he ends up not going the med school route. Thoughts?

Guy is just working a legal job as a chemist. I cannot imagine this would affect him?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why doesn’t he just stick to the extraction lab and work his way up?
He's thought about it but has been pretty dead set on practicing medicine for as long as he could remember

Interesting question. Following.

I would hope people wouldn't view this negatively.

The only schools that would trash his app would be Loma Linda and LUCOM.

As long as the company name isn't something like "Cannabis Chemo" or similar, and he keeps the job description as "chemist", I can't see any harm.

Reactions: 2 users

As long as the company name isn't something like "Cannabis Chemo" or similar, and he keeps the job description as "chemist", I can't see any harm.
"Product tester"

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Thanks for the response, sounds like it will be fine for him. Just for clarification though, the company name can be inferred to be related to cannabis rather easily. The job title is practically "chemist" though

Can you give the name of the company or the part that is cannabis related? And what do you mean by "practically" chemist?
its something like "extraction chemist" and for anonymity sake i wont give the name of the company but its a Colorado based company that takes a science oriented approach to cannabinoid extraction for eventual retail. I asked him if he had any more details and the response was basically hat hes going to be part of a team that works to more efficiently and accurately extract certain cannabinoids

Reactions: 1 user
its something like "extraction chemist" and for anonymity sake i wont give the name of the company but its a Colorado based company that takes a science oriented approach to cannabinoid extraction for eventual retail. I asked him if he had any more details and the response was basically hat hes going to be part of a team that works to more efficiently and accurately extract certain cannabinoids
Sounds safe to list on there I think. Take the money.

As someone risk-adverse, I'm inclined to agree with gonnif and say that he probably should avoid the cannabis job - or if he does take the job, he may want to leave it off of his application. I personally wouldn't really care if I were the reviewer/interviewer, but there are still some more-conservative individuals in medicine. If one of them was reviewing his app, they may be less inclined to approve. It's still illegal in some states as well as federally, so I'd be cautious.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to add: Offering samples to either your fellow interviewees or the interviewers would be going a bit too far

Just showing his work product. Ain’t nothin’ wrong with dat.

Mr. White is getting his hand into another revenue stream.

It's risky - individual ADCOM members may look down on it as there is a stigma - many employees use the product. It's possible that the chem side of things may not, or your friend may not, but inherent biases are still present.