Marital status of members

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In the "heteronormative, judeochristian" culture that is the US, it might important to recognize that having children is the natural extension of matrimony and is actually the underlying motivation for it. So, again, not surprising that many expect this to occur. I really think people are taking all this stuff way to personally.

whether it's 'surprising' or not, being a square peg in a round hole is stressful. and whether relevant causes are down to norms or biology or whatever, it's always personal, in that you, personally, have to experience and absorb judgement and negotiate around it in ordinary relationships, day to day.

like whether or not stepping on a nail is surprising, it still hurts. (note, i am not saying that non-standard relationships are like stepping on a nail.)

Reactions: 1 user
Psych84,

It's Friday night and I am posting in your thread. This fact alone should answer your question regarding my relationship status ;)

Try a dating website...seriously, with everyone in here at least somewhat familiar with psychometrics, we should know best the variables that are being measured (regardless of how subjective or unreliable that they might be :p). One of the psychologists at UNT ( my alma mater) is on the patent for Match.com (Dr. Thomas Parsons) that designed the research and measurement parameters and algorithm for their matching program.

Intuitively, it makes sense, plug in the variables you deem attractive from your potential partner, variables about yourself and a written statement about yourself (it's the GRE all over again, minus the frivolous measuring shaded areas of a triangle in a square).

Thanks for the advice CogNeuro. More and more people seem to be online dating nowadays, and it is something that I am considering. I tried it once, approximately 4 years ago, with some success. Being single gets comfortable after a while, and it is pretty easy to stop making the effort, especially when you are busy. /defense mechanism

Reactions: 1 user
Psych84,

It's Friday night and I am posting in your thread. This fact alone should answer your question regarding my relationship status ;)

Thanks for the advice CogNeuro. More and more people seem to be online dating nowadays, and it is something that I am considering. I tried it once, approximately 4 years ago, with some success. Being single gets comfortable after a while, and it is pretty easy to stop making the effort, especially when you are busy. /defense mechanism

Three weddings I attended in the past year – they all met via online dating. I would give it a shot. :)