Marmaduke Movie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so what do you guys think? Will this movie do for Great Danes what 101 Dalmatians did for Dalmatians and what the Taco Bell dog did for Chihuahuas? We're still seeing the aftereffects of over-breeding in these cases. Is the Dane big enough to deter most average folks from thinking it would be the perfect pet without first doing their research, or is the breed in trouble?

Also, I know that the Marmaduke in the original strip had cropped ears, but did they really have to follow suit with the dog in the movie? I love floppy ears. What's up with that?

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2010/june/marmaduke_madness

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so what do you guys think? Will this movie do for Great Danes what 101 Dalmatians did for Dalmatians and what the Taco Bell dog did for Chihuahuas? We're still seeing the aftereffects of over-breeding in these cases. Is the Dane big enough to deter most average folks from thinking it would be the perfect pet without first doing their research, or is the breed in trouble?

We saw our first Marmaduke puppy in this past weekend for parvo. And so it begins...

Unfortunately, I'm afraid it'll do exactly to Danes what it has done to other "movie" dog breeds. Which is just too bad, because I absolutely adore Danes and just thinking about all the things we're going to see in the poorly bred ones makes me physically ill. How many of THOSE owners do you think are going to pay for surgery for a GDV, or even pay for heartworm preventative every month when the dog hits full size? Right now, every Dane we see is fabulously well-cared for, loving, and a pleasure to work with. I'm dreading seeing the poorly socialized ones walk through the door when they are 130lbs of un-neutered male dog.

Great Danes are one of my favorite breeds of dog. Notwithstanding the pair that come to local horse shows and spook my horse (who is afraid of dogs AND ponies, so you can imagine what he thinks of dogs which are pony sizes - really they're a lovely pair), I've never met one I didn't like. Hopefully their sheer size will deter people, but that hasn't stopped plenty of other poor decisions in dog-buying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh that makes me so sad :(
I absolutely love my dane, and the thought of other danes being treated poorly is terrible. At least a dane is so huge, that hopefully within a few days of a person getting one for the wrong reason they'll realize that they are in over their head and return it. Or even maybe they'll say, "no way in hell, that dog is waaaay too big" I'm being hopeful...

edit: I agree with twelvetigers, they have the best freaking ears! They are super expressive and soft, and the idea of them being chopped off for cosmetic reasons makes me cringe :(

I love my dane...especially her floppy expressive ears. I have met several people that thought she was a mutt because her ears didn't stand up :laugh: I am somewhat worried that the average person doesn't know what ear cropping is and will be mystified when their puppies ears stay floppy. One of my favorite movies is the 'Ugly Dachshund'. i have assisted in ear crop surgery and aftercare procedures and I personally wouldn't do it with my own animals.

Anyways as for the movie...it does seem to be a trend an not just with dogs...one of the saddest examples I have seen was after movies with birds like Paulie. Most people are not equipped to handle larger birds or understand enough that they were sold a bird who a)wasn't weaned or handled properly, b)could be wildcaught, c) may have a ridiculous amount of emotional baggage because its on the third owner.....

While it was a small role we may see an increase in cockatoos from the Ironman 2 movie.

Why can't we have a movie about adopting a 40 lb brown mutt from the shelter?

Here here! I'm with everyone else on this one. I hope the Dane's size will deter people....but I also realize that there are a lot of people who do before they think, or are flatly just idiots. :(

I agree...I can't wait 'til that movie comes out. LOL! Also Danes are such great dogs, I really hadn't thought about this until twelvetigers brought it up (thanks a lot ;)). I have a feeling the size will make people think twice, at least we can hope.

Sorry. Maybe people will look for info on the movie and find this thread. In that case...

DON'T BUY A DOG ON A WHIM. IT'S A LIVING CREATURE. And it probably needs way more food and exercise than you realize.

Thank you.

I know all the antics about a dog that big would be more of a deterrent for me, haha. Although I love danes and know quite a few awesome ones at the clinic I work at. Also, Eight Below actually put a fact sheet in the DVD case about siberian huskies and how they aren't dogs that are meant for every household/family/etc, so maybe they will do something like that that will help. Of course, it'll probably be too little too late, but I don't remember a massive amount of huskies turning up just after that movie came out...but I do live in the south, and that whole movie took place in Antarctica, haha