Master's Student in Cognition & Neuroscience, WMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derekream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergraduate degree is from a state university (UNT) where my major was sociology with a minor in psychology. My major GPA was a 3.77, minor GPA was a 3.66, my overall GPA is a 3.33. I started my college career off at a music school and did terrible my first year in those courses (which were 100% music). Later, I attended a community college and earned my A.A. with a GPA of 3.15 and transferred to UNT to finish my undergraduate degree.

With this being said, I am currently a master's degree student at The University of Texas at Dallas in the Applied Cognition & Neuroscience program. I will be taking a good dose of neuro courses obviously in conjunction with cognitive psychology, cognitive development, perception, etc. I am considering (if I like the neuroscience as much as I am anticipating I will), to also take undergraduate courses at UTD in biology, chemistry and physics to suffice the pre-med requirements. The only courses I would have that would apply to pre-med are my intro to biology (which doesn't count, but will count towards my science GPA) and biotechnology (which goes towards my science GPA, but not my pre-req requirements). I also have taken regular statistics and sociological statistics as well as research methods and design (I don't think that will matter).

In this master's program, I will also take a graduate-level course in multivariate and regression statistics. I have had the bright idea so far to go onto a Ph.D. in clinical psychology, but, I get the feeling I may be making a mistake. The forum members in psychology certainly don't make it a friendly means to discuss controversial issues that surround our field...it seems like it may be a money pit. At the end of the day, I want to help people, I want to help people that have brain-based disorders which also include psychopathology.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.