Match 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just offering my two cents as a DO:

Matching into Psychiatry as a DO (and without a USMLE) is not an impossible feat. As long as you have no red flags (make sure your complex pe is in on time by you interview), some sort of psych interest in your application, and strong interpersonal skills during your interview, you will match into Psych. With that said, even with a strong USMLE score (although you may get an interview), you won't match into a top academic university program as a DO b/c of bias. Your best shot are academic university programs NOT in a major city or community programs. Even though the bigger academic university programs in major cities may have DOs in their PGY 2 or above class, look at their intern year. If you're a DO without a COMLEX, consider the programs with a lot of DOs (in major cities) to be reaches and not guaranteed matches--more and more DOs are taking STEP and those that do are more competitive. Make sure to rank a good amount of safeties (community programs with all IMGs/FMGs).

2nd year DO student here, have kinda seen this trend based on 3rd and 4th years advice. Question, what residencies out there are DO friendly for those that don't take the USMLE in the southeast region of the US? Thinking from FL to VA. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

2nd year DO student here, have kinda seen this trend based on 3rd and 4th years advice. Question, what residencies out there are DO friendly for those that don't take the USMLE in the southeast region of the US? Thinking from FL to VA. Thanks in advance

You'd be making an enormous mistake if you dont take USMLE. I highly recommend you reconsider if your goal is to become the best psychiatrist you can be.

As for your question, there are some stickies from past years. Nobody can really say with certainty what programs are receptive to A vs. B. I see this on this forum all the time; people think that because Joe Schmoe got an interview from University of Prozac with just COMLEX that everybody who takes just COMLEX will get an interview at this program. Well, turns out Joe Schmoe also had 3 publications, did 3 Psychiatry rotations, and is an active member of the APA. See what I mean? It's all anecdotal in the context of the entire picture of one applicant who got the interview.

I would encourage you to cast your net wide, take USMLE, and apply to many places to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
You'd be making an enormous mistake if you dont take USMLE. I highly recommend you reconsider if your goal is to become the best psychiatrist you can be.

As for your question, there are some stickies from past years. Nobody can really say with certainty what programs are receptive to A vs. B. I see this on this forum all the time; people think that because Joe Schmoe got an interview from University of Prozac with just COMLEX that everybody who takes just COMLEX will get an interview at this program. Well, turns out Joe Schmoe also had 3 publications, did 3 Psychiatry rotations, and is an active member of the APA. See what I mean? It's all anecdotal in the context of the entire picture of one applicant who got the interview.

I would encourage you to cast your net wide, take USMLE, and apply to many places to be safe.

Yeah, definitely take the USMLE. My understanding after interviews was that whether or not you fit the profile of their ideal applicant, contacting the program and showing them you are interested cannot hurt you and may be your best shot at an interview. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a third year resident, like most residents I participate in interviewing applicants to our program. I graduated from an MD school, I would like to believe I have minimal biases toward DOs, one of my best friends from college is an DO, she is a wonderful human being and doctor, I also have DO colleagues I respect and admire greatly. However, I don't really know that much about the COMLEX, so when I go through an application, at best the score will look "fine", at worst I'll wonder why it's "low". I don't think COMLEX score will ever elicit the same subconscious response from me compared to a Step I score of 260+, even if logically I know an applicant scored in the top 0.00001% of the exam, it's honestly because I am just not that familiar with it, where as USMLE was such a big part of my life in medical school. Obviously, it is just one or two numbers, and there are a lot of other things to look at in an application, but if I am comparing two applicants with everything else being equal, I'll probably pick the applicant with an USMLE score just because I have much finer tuned internal barometer for that number. This is just my opinion, and I am not involved in making our ranking list in any way. so take it as you will.

Reactions: 1 user
Doing a post-mortem on psychiatry applications and matches since 2016.

Matched 2018 (I did this by hand so could have miscounted): 982 US Senior, 221 USIMG, 137 IMG, 216 DO (Total: 1,556)
Matched 2016: 891 US MD/US MD grad, 162 USIMG, 132 IMG, 188 DO (Total: 1,373)
Net 2018 Match Positions per Applicant Type: US MD +91 (+10.2%), USIMG +59 (+36.4%), DO +28 (+14.9%), IMG +5 (+3.8%)(Total Net New Positions Since 2016: +183, +13.3%)

Positions have increased substantially in psychiatry in recent years. While all groups have shown gains in overall number of applicants going into psychiatry, USIMGs show the highest percentage increase relative to two years ago. However, without knowing how many applicants applied from each category, it is quite difficult to determine relative competitiveness for each group. As Charting Outcomes and other data resources are released, the answer to "just how competitive has psychiatry become, really" will be more clear. What we do know is there were 2,739 psychiatry applicants in 2018, of which 1,236 were US seniors. Compare this with 2,588 applicants in 2016, of which 1,007 were us seniors, and we get an increase in applicants of +155/+5.8%, and increase in interest by US seniors of +229/+22.7%. This means the increase in US MD applicants is outstripping their proportional match rate by a spread of 12.5%, and is likely indicative of either higher quality candidates attempting to match psychiatry or higher quality candidates considering it as a backup specialty. As more numbers are released, we will be able to determine both the change in Step scores and the candidate mix by applicant type to get a feel for whether there was a shift to a greater number of US IMGs/DOs as non-US IMGs chose to pursue other specialties in light of increasing competitiveness or other factors.

Why am I analyzing all of this? Because when someone stumbles in and asks this question, I'd like us to have objective data for the answer. Why did I use 2016 data instead of 2017? Because we will have Charting Outcomes data to directly compare the two years in a few months, something 2017 data would not afford us.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to everyone who matched!

I would like to sympathize with those who matched lower on their rank list or in places they consider undesirable but I can't. Congratulations, you get to become a psychiatrist. Quit whining, put your big boy or big girl pants by July 1 or staff will confuse you with the psych patients.
It is easy to say "quit whining," but there are many factors that go into why one might be upset with their match. I'm ultimately fine with where I am at, but I know people whose marriages are all but over because of their match results, individuals who have sick family that they know will pass away without their being present, etc etc. Not being upset with such circumstances and just shrugging them off would be a sign of pathology, if anything. Taking some time to process and cope with events that will have substantial negative impacts on your life is a normal thing to do, after which you can find a way to move forward and make the best of your circumstances.

Reactions: 3 users
It is easy to say "quit whining," but there are many factors that go into why one might be upset with their match. I'm ultimately fine with where I am at, but I know people whose marriages are all but over because of their match results, individuals who have sick family that they know will pass away without their being present, etc etc. Not being upset with such circumstances and just shrugging them off would be a sign of pathology, if anything. Taking some time to process and cope with events that will have substantial negative impacts on your life is a normal thing to do, after which you can find a way to move forward and make the best of your circumstances.

Honestly, if someone's marriage is all but over because of match results, they probably aren't suited to marriage in the first place. At least not to each other.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, if someone's marriage is all but over because of match results, they probably aren't suited to marriage in the first place. At least not to each other.
Hard to keep a marriage going when you're both in residency almost 3,000 miles away from one another for three years minimum. Few relationships would survive such an arrangement. Hell, by the time you were done you'd basically be completely different people that hardly knew one another.

Hard to keep a marriage going when you're both in residency almost 3,000 miles away from one another for three years minimum. Few relationships would survive such an arrangement. Hell, by the time you were done you'd basically be completely different people that hardly knew one another.

Hard doesn't mean impossible. A lot of couples face long distance for various reasons. There are two residents in my program right now doing the long distance thing with a spouse. They make it work, realizing that residency is a finite thing and that life doesn't end because you're not physically in the same city for a few years. I myself was long distance with my now-spouse for 4 years before residency. I know, first hand, how difficult it is. But if you're actually committed to one another and can't imagine life without being married to each other, you make the sacrifice instead of giving up due to distance.

Hard doesn't mean impossible. A lot of couples face long distance for various reasons. There are two residents in my program right now doing the long distance thing with a spouse. They make it work, realizing that residency is a finite thing and that life doesn't end because you're not physically in the same city for a few years. I myself was long distance with my now-spouse for 4 years before residency. I know, first hand, how difficult it is. But if you're actually committed to one another and can't imagine life without being married to each other, you make the sacrifice instead of giving up due to distance.
I guess I'm just far more cynical. Keeping any sense of love alive when you have, at max, three weeks per year to see one another if you time your vacations perfectly is pretty challenging. Sex holds a good deal of importance to most people as well. Throw in the stress of both people being in residency... Eh, I'd be shocked if half of such marriages survived, though it would likely be highly culturally specific. South and East Asian cultural values tend to be much more conducive to such arrangements (I knew a woman who lived in an entirely different continent from her husband for almost ten years), but in those with less strong cultural or religious upbringings, I'd bet things are pretty rocky.

I guess I'm just far more cynical. Keeping any sense of love alive when you have, at max, three weeks per year to see one another if you time your vacations perfectly is pretty challenging. Sex holds a good deal of importance to most people as well. Throw in the stress of both people being in residency... Eh, I'd be shocked if half of such marriages survived, though it would likely be highly culturally specific. South and East Asian cultural values tend to be much more conducive to such arrangements (I knew a woman who lived in an entirely different continent from her husband for almost ten years), but in those with less strong cultural or religious upbringings, I'd bet things are pretty rocky.

Residents do get vacation time and if you plan them right, you can maximize them. You don't have to take all the weeks at the exact same time. In psych residency, the lifestyle is pretty good and you could easily schedule multiple long weekends, etc. Also, sex is just one route to intimacy and while it is important, it wouldn't be marriage-ending for me. Maybe that's just me though. We spent a lot of time on the phone and our conversations were epic. When that's your only form of connection with someone on a daily basis, you realize how close you can get by having something to say at the end of the day that's more than just shallow pleasantries. That's when we really learned to TALK to each other. And when we were able to visit one another, it was pretty fabulous in more ways than one. I'm so glad we stuck it out because I couldn't imagine my life without my spouse. A few years apart was worth it for a lifetime together. That may sound sugary and cliche, but it was absolutely my train of thought. I had offers from others when we were long distance and yes, I did miss the sex and the physical intimacy and yes, it would have been easy to just take one of those offers and satisfy my needs. I didn't even entertain them because our relationship was about so much more and I just couldn't imagine having that bond with anyone else. Life isn't easy. Marriage isn't easy. But in the end, 30 or 40 years from now, residency will be simply a blip on the radar, a relatively short period of time that set you up for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Hi, I was in the match cycle this year and also did not get into psychiatry. It was a competitive cycle for psychiatry and luckily I soap'd into categorical medicine position where I am from, there were no TRI or Prelim openings left in my hometown. Some background, I am also a DO student, passionate about psychiatry, took both comlex and USMLE. scores were okay i think with step 1: 222 and step 2: 248, had research, volunteer etc standard competitive candidate stuff. Had love letters from program directors to rank them post interview and before the match. I didn't hit that golden mark of 15 interviews I was at 10. Most programs, especially the one near my home town didn't have to go far in their rank list which means programs are getting the applicants they want without going down there list too much. That being said, I hope in the future i'll do psych residency after medicine and do a dual psychiatry/medicine integrated clinic of some sort. If there are any specific questions I'd be more than happy to reply and can PM at anytime. Frustrating outcome, but i am genuinely excited for my medicine residency.

Did you do any psych sub I/away electives?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do any psych sub I/away electives?

How is 15 the golden mark when 12 is considered a fairly safe bet in ortho? I’d put my money on people’s failure to match had more to do with their expectations to place somewhere outside of their grasp, or another glaring red flag not being mentioned.

Not surprising to hear given what I've seen on the pre-med/med student forums here...
And that DO bias among students perpetuates this to the GME level even amongst the most open minded. If the good students shy away from programs that let "those people in", it becomes real grounded or not. I think things are slowly becoming more even, but we have a ways to go

Matched 2018 (I did this by hand so could have miscounted): 982 US Senior, 221 USIMG, 137 IMG, 216 DO (Total: 1,556)
Net 2018 Match Positions per Applicant Type: US MD +91 (+10.2%), USIMG +59 (+36.4%), DO +28 (+14.9%), IMG +5 (+3.8%)(Total Net New Positions Since 2016: +183, +13.3%)

Positions have increased substantially in psychiatry in recent years. While all groups have shown gains in overall number of applicants going into psychiatry, USIMGs show the highest percentage increase relative to two years ago. However, without knowing how many applicants applied from each category, it is quite difficult to determine relative competitiveness for each group. As Charting Outcomes and other data resources are released, the answer to "just how competitive has psychiatry become, really" will be more clear. What we do know is there were 2,739 psychiatry applicants in 2018, of which 1,236 were US seniors. Compare this with 2,588 applicants in 2016, of which 1,007 were us seniors, and we get an increase in applicants of +155/+5.8%, and increase in interest by US seniors of +229/+22.7%. This means the increase in US MD applicants is outstripping their proportional match rate by a spread of 12.5%, and is likely indicative of either higher quality candidates attempting to match psychiatry or higher quality candidates considering it as a backup specialty. As more numbers are released, we will be able to determine both the change in Step scores and the candidate mix by applicant type to get a feel for whether there was a shift to a greater number of US IMGs/DOs as non-US IMGs chose to pursue other specialties in light of increasing competitiveness or other factors.

Why am I analyzing all of this? Because when someone stumbles in and asks this question, I'd like us to have objective data for the answer. Why did I use 2016 data instead of 2017? Because we will have Charting Outcomes data to directly compare the two years in a few months, something 2017 data would not afford us.
I made some posts on this topic about a month ago, including application # (you can get applicant data from ERAS and match data from NRMP). Maybe in this thread but I'm too lazy to search for it right now.

I'm failing to see how psych is currently competitive. More competitive than before, when all you needed was a pulse, sure.

At my school we had people with no step 1 and mediocre comlex scores matching to university programs. Others with low 220s getting in elsewhere. Meanwhile, we had quite a few completely unmatched in EM. I could never imagine ortho, anesthesia, etc. accepting people who just decided not to take step 1. Where is all this "sky is falling" stuff coming from?

Is a field really that competitive when a mediocre comlex score lands you a uni program in a good area?

Might be a good time for DO hopefuls to consider USMD programs instead. I don’t see this trend changing.

Most students that end up going to a DO school do so because they can't get an MD acceptance. It's not typically a choice to go DO, it's a necessity.

Nice little synopsis. I'll be interested to see the IMG/FMG numbers for 2018 as the 2016 CTO showed they had a 29% and 32% match rate for psych respectively.

I'm failing to see how psych is currently competitive. More competitive than before, when all you needed was a pulse, sure.

At my school we had people with no step 1 and mediocre comlex scores matching to university programs. Others with low 220s getting in elsewhere. Meanwhile, we had quite a few completely unmatched in EM. I could never imagine ortho, anesthesia, etc. accepting people who just decided not to take step 1. Where is all this "sky is falling" stuff coming from?

Is a field really that competitive when a mediocre comlex score lands you a uni program in a good area?

I'm one of those mediocre people who matched into a university program in a good area with no Step 1 and mediocre COMLEX scores. During this whole process I was pretty confident that I'd do well and didn't think it would be overly competitive. However, I have 2 friends in my class with 230+ Step 1 scores, who landed more interviews than me (double digits) and did not match psych at all. I also know US MD applicants with similar Step 1 scores and research who didn't match and a few who didn't get many interviews. It's not that psych is becoming the new derm and I don't think anyone would consider it a competitive field (yet). However, just being a solid applicant doesn't guarantee you a match anymore and with the way the field is trending it only seems to be getting more competitive each year.

It's also not usually a great idea to only look at you friends/classmates and judge how competitive a field is. This year my school had exactly zero people not match into EM, but we had several people (solid applicants) who failed to match psych and OB/GYN. Does that mean EM isn't competitive? Of course not, it just means that my classmates did well in that field. We won't know the reality of how competitive it was until CTO comes out.

Plus, you might not know what other strengths in the application or connections your classmates with mediocre COMLEX scores had. I had some solid connections where I matched and also had some extremely strong LORs and attending evals in my MSPE which made up for my weaker scores (or so I was told). So much so that one attending actually said she wanted to interview me specifically because my pre-clinical grades/level 1 scores were so much worse than the clinical portion of my application and she wanted to ask how I made such a dramatic improvement. I'm a good example of why you can't just look at step scores in many fields and give a good prediction of how well a person will do in the match. There are too many other aspects of the application that matter. Also, if you look at the PD survey that comes out each year, step/level scores only hold a lot of weight in determining who gets an interview. After that point, the importance of Step scores drops dramatically and other aspects of the application matter more in terms of creating rank lists (LORs, program fit on interview day, interview answers, etc). I'm not saying board scores aren't important, just that they're only one part (albeit a pretty important one) of a residency application.

Reactions: 4 users
Most students that end up going to a DO school do so because they can't get an MD acceptance. It's not typically a choice to go DO, it's a necessity.

Nice little synopsis. I'll be interested to see the IMG/FMG numbers for 2018 as the 2016 CTO showed they had a 29% and 32% match rate for psych respectively.

I'm one of those mediocre people who matched into a university program in a good area with no Step 1 and mediocre COMLEX scores. During this whole process I was pretty confident that I'd do well and didn't think it would be overly competitive. However, I have 2 friends in my class with 230+ Step 1 scores, who landed more interviews than me (double digits) and did not match psych at all. I also know US MD applicants with similar Step 1 scores and research who didn't match and a few who didn't get many interviews. It's not that psych is becoming the new derm and I don't think anyone would consider it a competitive field (yet). However, just being a solid applicant doesn't guarantee you a match anymore and with the way the field is trending it only seems to be getting more competitive each year.

It's also not usually a great idea to only look at you friends/classmates and judge how competitive a field is. This year my school had exactly zero people not match into EM, but we had several people (solid applicants) who failed to match psych and OB/GYN. Does that mean EM isn't competitive? Of course not, it just means that my classmates did well in that field. We won't know the reality of how competitive it was until CTO comes out.

Plus, you might not know what other strengths in the application or connections your classmates with mediocre COMLEX scores had. I had some solid connections where I matched and also had some extremely strong LORs and attending evals in my MSPE which made up for my weaker scores (or so I was told). So much so that one attending actually said she wanted to interview me specifically because my pre-clinical grades/level 1 scores were so much worse than the clinical portion of my application and she wanted to ask how I made such a dramatic improvement. I'm a good example of why you can't just look at step scores in many fields and give a good prediction of how well a person will do in the match. There are too many other aspects of the application that matter. Also, if you look at the PD survey that comes out each year, step/level scores only hold a lot of weight in determining who gets an interview. After that point, the importance of Step scores drops dramatically and other aspects of the application matter more in terms of creating rank lists (LORs, program fit on interview day, interview answers, etc). I'm not saying board scores aren't important, just that they're only one part (albeit a pretty important one) of a residency application.

I would tend to think those with good scores and many interviews who did not match failed to do so because they were either not coming across as committed or simply have bad interview skills.

I'd imagine a field like psych places a higher emphasis on one's ability to socially interact with other humans. I guess my point is, psych is still a field where no usmle and mediocre complex scores can land you a university program. There are many field where this simply wouldn't happen, like em (acgme anyways).

Out of curiosity did you do any sub I?

My husband and I did this when I was in med school and it was awful and I wouldn't recommend it. That said, I worked with a foreign post doc at the time whose wife and young child were overseas and they couldn't even visit each other for 3-4 years due to visa issues. That certainly gave me some perspective. And FWIW they did ok.

I don't think you quite understand how this works in psych. A field can be competitive, even if it isn't board scores that will get you in the door. Psych tends to be more forgiving when it comes to scores, but what it absolutely, positively is not forgiving about (unlike other fields) is the stuff that has nothing to do with tests. Competitive simply means there are many, many more applicants than spots. Each field uses a different metric. I can tell you this year that in psych there were a number of stellar applicants this year. Stellar in scores, stellar in evals, stellar in experiences, and stellar in communications. All of it matters. Scores, assuming they're all passing, won't shut the door in psych the way it will in other fields, but unlike other fields, poor communication skills and poor evals WILL shut the door. That's where the competitiveness really lies.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think you quite understand how this works in psych. A field can be competitive, even if it isn't board scores that will get you in the door. Psych tends to be more forgiving when it comes to scores, but what it absolutely, positively is not forgiving about (unlike other fields) is the stuff that has nothing to do with tests. Competitive simply means there are many, many more applicants than spots. Each field uses a different metric. I can tell you this year that in psych there were a number of stellar applicants this year. Stellar in scores, stellar in evals, stellar in experiences, and stellar in communications. All of it matters. Scores, assuming they're all passing, won't shut the door in psych the way it will in other fields, but unlike other fields, poor communication skills and poor evals WILL shut the door. That's where the competitiveness really lies.

Fair enough.

But be that as it may, why are so many non usmd's getting in? That percentage is still one of the lowest in medicine. Do programs really have a preference for imgs and do's? Not a serious question...

I wonder if there are more usmds applying as back up these days who are getting sniffed out?

Or maybe people are still thinking it's an easy match and under applying/applying too high?

Last edited:

In other words, while all of the empirical evidence points to Psych being less competitive than the mid-tier specialties, we should trust you that it's competitive based on statements that are either unfalsifiable ("unlike other fields, poor communication skills and poor evals WILL shut the door") or too vague to be meaningful ("this year in psych there were a number of stellar applicants"). The fear mongering is relentless here.

I wonder if there are more usmds applying as back up these days who are getting sniffed out?

Or maybe people are still thinking it's an easy match and under applying/applying too high?

Both of these are true. But really, we don't know what the numbers are yet.

In other words, while all of the empirical evidence points to Psych being less competitive than the mid-tier specialties, we should trust you that it's competitive based on statements that are either unfalsifiable ("unlike other fields, poor communication skills and poor evals WILL shut the door") or too vague to be meaningful ("this year in psych there were a number of stellar applicants"). The fear mongering is relentless here.

Hey, I couldn't care less what you believe. Not once did I say that it was more or less competitive than anything else. What I said was that board scores are not an accurate measure of competitiveness. And yes, given that I interviewed and helped rank this year and the fact that I have been involved in some aspect of the match for 4 years, I think I am perfectly qualified to share what shuts the door on applicants. But hey, if you think you and your med school buddies know better than those of us actually, you know, involved in the process, knock yourself out.

Psychiatry in the recent past went through a phase where programs outside of the ~top 10 probably didn’t see even a single applicant with a step score above 240. It’s just human nature to get lost in the hype when your specialty, which was recently so uncompetitive, becomes less so.

Psychiatry is in a weird place right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if we start to see Carribean schools push even their best students into psychiatry due to the merger. It seems the Increase in applications per student is hitting psychiatry particularly hard as well.

I didn't match and had 10 interviews. I'm doing some psychiatry research right now and hoping to get an abstract if I'm lucky, otherwise another thing on my ERAS application. I will also be volunteering at a soup kitchen. I start an internship in June and am going to be reapplying come September. Is there anything else I should be doing to improve my candidature? I'm really worried about this process, I'm actually scared. I didn't fail any of the board exams and took COMLEX and Steps

IMG/FMG numbers for 2018
What I find even more interesting is the number of people who apply from each category and the number of people who actually submit rank lists. It's something like 90% US MD, 70% US DO, and 50% or less IMG. That means people with 1. no interviews or 2. didn't end up ranking psych (likely less common)
I mean, the empirical evidence points to it starting to move toward being mid-tier and also that, although the objective scores are not quite up to that level, the actual number of applicants per spot and unmatched students whose first choice specialty was psychiatry is rising significantly.

I would tend to think those with good scores and many interviews who did not match failed to do so because they were either not coming across as committed or simply have bad interview skills.

I'd imagine a field like psych places a higher emphasis on one's ability to socially interact with other humans. I guess my point is, psych is still a field where no usmle and mediocre complex scores can land you a university program. There are many field where this simply wouldn't happen, like em (acgme anyways).

Out of curiosity did you do any sub I?

I did 5 sub-I rotations for psych, 2 of which were auditions. I made some very strong connections during one of my auditions and had multiple current residents and attendings all write e-mails and speak to the PD directly about me. Had I not done this/had this experience, idk how my cycle would have gone, but it's possible that it would have turned out very poorly...

Not coming across as committed and having bad interview skills can hurt a lot. As someone else said, board scores aren't necessarily the "rate-limiting-step" in psych like it is in some other fields. That doesn't mean it's not moving in that direction more. One of the PDs on this forum even said he no longer interviews DOs without USMLE scores anymore because he has so many applicants and it's an easy way to cut the list of who to interview down a bit. Predicting the future in this field is like trying to predict the stock market, but at the very least there seems to be a trend over the past few years which doesn't seem to be slowing down (at least not in the near future).

Fair enough.

But be that as it may, why are so many non usmd's getting in? That percentage is still one of the lowest in medicine. Do programs really have a preference for imgs and do's? Not a serious question...

I think the bolded is the most common thing. I know plenty of people who thought psych was still a super easy field to enter and after the match this year have changed their tune. I don't think psych is that competitive yet, but I think there's a big difference between how competitive psych actually is vs. how competitive many people think it is, which can lead to some poorer application strategies and overestimating your own ability to match.

Also, I know your first part was sarcastic, but in 2016, CTO showed that of FMG and IMG applicants to psych, they had 32% and 29% match rates respectively, while the overall match rate for FMG/IMG candidates was around 50% for each, so psych is certainly a less non-US grad friendly field than it has historically been. This is likely due to both an increased number of US applicants and an increase in applicants to the field as a whole.

What I find even more interesting is the number of people who apply from each category and the number of people who actually submit rank lists. It's something like 90% US MD, 70% US DO, and 50% or less IMG. That means people with 1. no interviews or 2. didn't end up ranking psych (likely less common).

I would guess it's both pretty heavily for DOs. I know one person in my class who applied to psych initially and ended up ranking any ACGME psych positions because they got more AOA interviews later in the season in their competitive sub-specialty than they were expecting to. Idk why it's so low for IMG/FMGs, maybe visa/citizenship issues? It'll be good to see CTO this year though, as I'd like a lot more details about this cycle.

You could also look at the Program Director Survey if you want actual evidence that Step scores are less important than communication skills and evals.

Here's the link, psych starts on page 121: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

You'll notice that Step 1 scores are considered one of the least important factors for both being offered an interview and actually matching, while interactions with faculty/staff, interpersonal skills, LORs, and professionalism all are rated as being significantly more important. It's not wrong to point out that psych emphasizes different characteristics in an applicant than some of the more competitive fields which use Step 1 scores as key to the kingdom (or at least the interview) or to note trends which have been occurring in the field over the past 5-6 years. I also don't think anyone is saying psych is more competitive than mid-tier fields or even that it is one, but it does seem to be heading that way if you actually look at the trends over the past 4-5 match cycles.

I did 5 sub-I rotations for psych, 2 of which were auditions. I made some very strong connections during one of my auditions and had multiple current residents and attendings all write e-mails and speak to the PD directly about me. Had I not done this/had this experience, idk how my cycle would have gone, but it's possible that it would have turned out very poorly...

Not coming across as committed and having bad interview skills can hurt a lot. As someone else said, board scores aren't necessarily the "rate-limiting-step" in psych like it is in some other fields. That doesn't mean it's not moving in that direction more. One of the PDs on this forum even said he no longer interviews DOs without USMLE scores anymore because he has so many applicants and it's an easy way to cut the list of who to interview down a bit. Predicting the future in this field is like trying to predict the stock market, but at the very least there seems to be a trend over the past few years which doesn't seem to be slowing down (at least not in the near future).

I think the bolded is the most common thing. I know plenty of people who thought psych was still a super easy field to enter and after the match this year have changed their tune. I don't think psych is that competitive yet, but I think there's a big difference between how competitive psych actually is vs. how competitive many people think it is, which can lead to some poorer application strategies and overestimating your own ability to match.

Also, I know your first part was sarcastic, but in 2016, CTO showed that of FMG and IMG applicants to psych, they had 32% and 29% match rates respectively, while the overall match rate for FMG/IMG candidates was around 50% for each, so psych is certainly a less non-US grad friendly field than it has historically been. This is likely due to both an increased number of US applicants and an increase in applicants to the field as a whole.

I would guess it's both pretty heavily for DOs. I know one person in my class who applied to psych initially and ended up ranking any ACGME psych positions because they got more AOA interviews later in the season in their competitive sub-specialty than they were expecting to. Idk why it's so low for IMG/FMGs, maybe visa/citizenship issues? It'll be good to see CTO this year though, as I'd like a lot more details about this cycle.

You could also look at the Program Director Survey if you want actual evidence that Step scores are less important than communication skills and evals.

Here's the link, psych starts on page 121: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

You'll notice that Step 1 scores are considered one of the least important factors for both being offered an interview and actually matching, while interactions with faculty/staff, interpersonal skills, LORs, and professionalism all are rated as being significantly more important. It's not wrong to point out that psych emphasizes different characteristics in an applicant than some of the more competitive fields which use Step 1 scores as key to the kingdom (or at least the interview) or to note trends which have been occurring in the field over the past 5-6 years. I also don't think anyone is saying psych is more competitive than mid-tier fields or even that it is one, but it does seem to be heading that way if you actually look at the trends over the past 4-5 match cycles.

5 sub-I?! My med school didn’t allow that much time in any one area. Wow.

5 sub-I?! My med school didn’t allow that much time in any one area. Wow.

Our only requirements for 4th year were an EM rotation and 2 sub-i's in any field (obviously did mine in psych). Everything else was elective so we could do pretty much whatever we wanted as long as the rotation got approved. I'll also add that I had my core rotation (basically a sub-i) plus 2 sub-i's before the audition rotation where I matched which helped me immensely as I was able to jump in and start working at a faster pace than most of the interns did at that point.

Our only requirements for 4th year were an EM rotation and 2 sub-i's in any field (obviously did mine in psych). Everything else was elective so we could do pretty much whatever we wanted as long as the rotation got approved. I'll also add that I had my core rotation (basically a sub-i) plus 2 sub-i's before the audition rotation where I matched which helped me immensely as I was able to jump in and start working at a faster pace than most of the interns did at that point.

Haha, well I should hope so with 6 months of experience.

Definitely both of these. And this may not mean people are applying to psych for the wrong reasons or with bad intentions, just that a lot of USMDs maybe are discovering Psych during 3rd year, and hopping aboard the train late in the game with nothing on their app that says, "Hey, I was at least interested in Psych for a while now" and if they have a 240+ they think oh I'll be fine, I'll just apply to these top 10-15 programs.

But I'm sure a lot of Caribs temper their expectations early on in medical school realizing specialties like Derm and Ortho are out of reach, and so turn to the "less competitive specialties" and start to build their CVs early.

just my 0.02

just that a lot of USMDs maybe are discovering Psych during 3rd year, and hopping aboard the train late in the game with nothing on their app that says, "Hey, I was at least interested in Psych for a while now" and if they have a 240+ they think oh I'll be fine, I'll just apply to these top 10-15 programs.
Honestly that's the norm, coming from someone who interviews for a top-10 program. Heck, I didn't think I wanted to do psych until late in 3rd year, myself.

Honestly that's the norm, coming from someone who interviews for a top-10 program. Heck, I didn't think I wanted to do psych until late in 3rd year, myself.
Yes, I think the importance of having a long interest in psychiatry is a little overblown in the sense that it probably matters more for less competitive applicants (so that they can prove they're applying to psychiatry because they're actually interested in it, nor because they can't match into anything else), but less so for academically more competitive ones (good grades and scores, relatively high school rank, brand name medical school). It may seem somewhat unfair but, as they say, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior and good medical students make good residents. In the big scheme of things it doesn't really matter how long you'very been interested in psychiatry, as long as you can apply your intelligence, strong work ethics and good study habits in residency.

PS - Having evidence of significant involvement in psychiatry still helps but probably won't overcome lackluster academics for top programs.

Definitely both of these. And this may not mean people are applying to psych for the wrong reasons or with bad intentions, just that a lot of USMDs maybe are discovering Psych during 3rd year, and hopping aboard the train late in the game with nothing on their app that says, "Hey, I was at least interested in Psych for a while now" and if they have a 240+ they think oh I'll be fine, I'll just apply to these top 10-15 programs.

But I'm sure a lot of Caribs temper their expectations early on in medical school realizing specialties like Derm and Ortho are out of reach, and so turn to the "less competitive specialties" and start to build their CVs early.

just my 0.02

Aside from research, what else is there that a student could have in their app that shows a serious interest in psych? I've been legitimately interested since day one, but aside from psych interest group, I don't have anything psych specific. Kinda worried about this..

It may seem somewhat unfair but, as they say, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior and good medical students make good residents.
Strongly disagree. The kinds of skills and aptitudes that are meaningful in education versus those that are meaningful in training are disparate. I personally would prefer not to train at a program that conflates the two, though many--if by no means all--do.

Reactions: 2 users
Aside from research, what else is there that a student could have in their app that shows a serious interest in psych? I've been legitimately interested since day one, but aside from psych interest group, I don't have anything psych specific. Kinda worried about this..
Just be able to talk about why you're interested in psych. Helps to have some semblance of career plans, an understanding of the field/the work, and at least one sub-I or non-core-rotation experience.

I did not list membership in the psych interest group on my application. I personally find it meaningless. I had more meaningful involvement in the anesthesia interest group. YMMV, as I hear people recommend being part of the IG all the time.

NB I did have psych-related research experience, so I can't say that I didn't have anything extra to show interest but, again, we interview plenty of people who simply realized they liked it in 3rd year. There's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Splik made a pretty extensive list about this in this thread: how med students can beef up their psychiatry applications

It's a few years old now and not every point can work for everyone, but there's some great suggestions in there that are pretty easily done by most med students.

She did tell me that this year there were only about 12 openings this year not filled.

Actually, only 4 spots went unfilled. 2 of those were psych/research positions (Yale & Baylor), 1 a psych/neurology position (Southwestern), & 1 a rural track psychiatry position (SUNY). Additionally there were 2 new residency programs opening up in Florida that did not interview for the match at all, only planning on using the SOAP to fill their spots, 9 in total. This made 13 spots open in the SOAP in total. But in reality only 4 went unfilled in the match & none were typical psychiatry residency spots.

apparently one program (6 spots) did not submit a list in time and thus entered SOAP.
That was intentional. It was one of the 2 new programs that didn't interview for the match.

Last edited:
Just don't disclose you are doing the couples match. Whether you are a psych-psych couple, or psych-something else one, do not disclose or tell a single program you intend to couples match. If you do this, you will destroy your chances at the majority of programs. Don't listen to a single soul if they tell you to disclose your couples match, including program directors who post here. They could not care less about you and your partner's future. It is not the business of a single soul of your intentions unless you feel they should know or if it could help you. Program directors do not have even close to the knowledge a med student has as far as the intricacies of how a match list works. Stick by this or panic come mid-March when you don't match.

Times have changed. My biggest regret is believing program directors had it all figured out and knew how it worked. You can call it sour grapes, but when you spend thousands flying around, going to dinners, laughing with and befriending residents, being excited about matching at any program, and then being f'ed over by them you will be thankful you didn't let the couples match screw you. Don't be tricked by the fake caring attitude program directors portray in regards to the couples match. Please don't fall for the advice you hear...these programs make a list and if you match you match. Your couples match plans, at the end of the day, are frankly none of their business. They will scare you and say things, mention it in interviews, but it has no power. Remember this.

Just don't disclose you are doing the couples match. Whether you are a psych-psych couple, or psych-something else one, do not disclose or tell a single program you intend to couples match. If you do this, you will destroy your chances at the majority of programs. Don't listen to a single soul if they tell you to disclose your couples match, including program directors who post here. They could not care less about you and your partner's future. It is not the business of a single soul of your intentions unless you feel they should know or if it could help you. Program directors do not have even close to the knowledge a med student has as far as the intricacies of how a match list works. Stick by this or panic come mid-March when you don't match.

Times have changed. My biggest regret is believing program directors had it all figured out and knew how it worked. You can call it sour grapes, but when you spend thousands flying around, going to dinners, laughing with and befriending residents, being excited about matching at any program, and then being f'ed over by them you will be thankful you didn't let the couples match screw you. Don't be tricked by the fake caring attitude program directors portray in regards to the couples match. Please don't fall for the advice you hear...these programs make a list and if you match you match. Your couples match plans, at the end of the day, are frankly none of their business. They will scare you and say things, mention it in interviews, but it has no power. Remember this.
Sounds like you had a bad experience and I don't actually disagree about the part where some people might choose not to couples match. I would say that it doesn't inherently hurt or help overall. It also depends on whether you're matching same-specialty or different specialties.

Why do you specifically feel that disclosing your couples status hurt you?

Sounds like you had a bad experience and I don't actually disagree about the part where some people might choose not to couples match. I would say that it doesn't inherently hurt or help overall. It also depends on whether you're matching same-specialty or different specialties.

Why do you specifically feel that disclosing your couples status hurt you?

I was basically told by my PD, after he made several calls, that I would have matched if I did not couples match. My program literally created a spot for me and it sounds like the first year PD did not rank me assuming I would not match there, which they later realized was a mistake so they fixed it. My application led me to several interviews at top 10 programs and my PD even received feedback that my interviews were great, and I was solely unmatched based on my SO. I was more or less tossed into the trash because of my SO and their CS scores. Why do I, an applicant, need to explain to a supposedly intelligent and experienced PD about how the match works? I don't know geniuses, rank me on my own merits and rank her at the end of the list or not at all? I mean, only the NRMP site itself clearly outlines how most applicants eventually rank themselves matching at each program with the other unmatched.

What is most bizarre, and I have not posted here recently because I have more or less given up on the typical SDN poster to wrap their head around this issue, but I found out someone did not match derm because the PDs ranked them lower as "those doing the couples match usually match worse." I am dead serious. This was a Peds-Derm couple. I have completely lost faith in all of these people. I had 20 interviews, a flawless Dean's letter, good interview feedback according to my PD after he talked to several PDs, 240ish step 1 and step 2, etc., and I went unmatched. I am just sitting here not only embarrassed for myself as I have been forced to question everything in my life, but to think PDs that never came close to anything I accomplished are now the ones judging me...I just have to laugh. Luckily I have a spot, but we need to replace as many old psychiatrists with our generation ASAP and I will leave it at that. And they think we are entitled, with our 400,000+ debt as first generation college students...lol.

I chose this profession years ago with the goal of helping suicidal patients, depressed, anxious, bipolar, psychotic, and especially the drug addicted. Now I just feel like **** for what I have been put through. Trust me, these PDs should feel ashamed. My entire 4th year was a sham. I just can't believe how hard I worked to end up here. Its taking time, and I will get it together because I always do, and I work hard, and I am not entitled in anyway, but this stings.

I am not entitled in anyway
I mean, you are, but it's not wrong to feel like you were denied something you had a very reasonable chance of attaining. You pointed out exactly what I was alluding to regarding mismatched couples applying in the same specialty. I would personally never recommend outing yourselves as coupled, in that case and pretty much for the reasons you pointed out.

I've seen mismatched couples also insist that they want to be matched at the same exact residency together. It strikes me as odd to insist on being at the same program in the first place, much less when one of the two is not very strong and there are like 7 other psychiatry residencies within an hour from here...

I was basically told by my PD, after he made several calls, that I would have matched if I did not couples match.
You are conflating the process of couples matching with disclosing that you are couples matching. Couples matching always brings the stronger applicant down. The fact that your other half failed CS etc was what killed you, not the fact that you disclosed couples matching. Now it is true, like the example that you gave that a PD could be biased against your couples matching and rank you lower if they don't think you are going to end up there. There are some PDs who rank like this, but at most of the better programs they don't factor this in. In general, it is probably better to disclose couples matching than not to do so. Because of how the match works, you almost certainly still would not have matched if you had concealed couples matching since it was the fact that you were couples matching (inherently risky) that killed you, not the fact you disclosed it. In terms of couples matching into the same specialty, if both applicants are stellar parts of a power couples then it definitely makes sense to let people know about the couples matching since it's a win for the program to get a BOGO deal. if there is a wide difference between the two then it could go either way; on the one hand, the only way the weaker applicant may get an interview at better programs is because they are couples matching. on the other hand if you have no hope in hell of matching at the same program it may be reasonable not to disclose.

You are conflating the process of couples matching with disclosing that you are couples matching. Couples matching always brings the stronger applicant down. The fact that your other half failed CS etc was what killed you, not the fact that you disclosed couples matching. Now it is true, like the example that you gave that a PD could be biased against your couples matching and rank you lower if they don't think you are going to end up there. There are some PDs who rank like this, but at most of the better programs they don't factor this in. In general, it is probably better to disclose couples matching than not to do so. Because of how the match works, you almost certainly still would not have matched if you had concealed couples matching since it was the fact that you were couples matching (inherently risky) that killed you, not the fact you disclosed it. In terms of couples matching into the same specialty, if both applicants are stellar parts of a power couples then it definitely makes sense to let people know about the couples matching since it's a win for the program to get a BOGO deal. if there is a wide difference between the two then it could go either way; on the one hand, the only way the weaker applicant may get an interview at better programs is because they are couples matching. on the other hand if you have no hope in hell of matching at the same program it may be reasonable not to disclose.
The one thing I'd nitpick is that OP is right that he would have matched with said programs assuming it's true that 1. they actually would have ranked him highly if he hadn't disclosed that he was couples matching with a weak partner and 2. his partner went unmatched. (Assuming they filled in his solo match list at the end of their coupled match list.)

Strongly disagree. The kinds of skills and aptitudes that are meaningful in education versus those that are meaningful in training are disparate. I personally would prefer not to train at a program that conflates the two, though many--if by no means all--do.
I agree that high standardized exam scores don’t necessarily translate into being a good resident, but wouldn’t being hard-working, persistent, organized and responsible be desirable qualities both for students and workers in pretty much any field? I mean, I think I understand what you’re saying, and I’m sure doing well in residency takes more than acing multiple choice tests and being a smooth schmoozer with your evaluating attendings (which is apparently the leading factor in clinical grading at my school), but I believe there is also a substantial overlap in personal qualities between a good resident and a good student.

About 15 years ago, Academic Psychiatry published a study that compared rank lists to post graduate performance. The conclusion was that position on rank lists did not predict post graduate performance at all. The only thing that correlated a little bit were USMLE scores.

I was basically told by my PD, after he made several calls, that I would have matched if I did not couples match. My program literally created a spot for me and it sounds like the first year PD did not rank me assuming I would not match there, which they later realized was a mistake so they fixed it. My application led me to several interviews at top 10 programs and my PD even received feedback that my interviews were great, and I was solely unmatched based on my SO. I was more or less tossed into the trash because of my SO and their CS scores. Why do I, an applicant, need to explain to a supposedly intelligent and experienced PD about how the match works? I don't know geniuses, rank me on my own merits and rank her at the end of the list or not at all? I mean, only the NRMP site itself clearly outlines how most applicants eventually rank themselves matching at each program with the other unmatched.

What is most bizarre, and I have not posted here recently because I have more or less given up on the typical SDN poster to wrap their head around this issue, but I found out someone did not match derm because the PDs ranked them lower as "those doing the couples match usually match worse." I am dead serious. This was a Peds-Derm couple. I have completely lost faith in all of these people. I had 20 interviews, a flawless Dean's letter, good interview feedback according to my PD after he talked to several PDs, 240ish step 1 and step 2, etc., and I went unmatched. I am just sitting here not only embarrassed for myself as I have been forced to question everything in my life, but to think PDs that never came close to anything I accomplished are now the ones judging me...I just have to laugh. Luckily I have a spot, but we need to replace as many old psychiatrists with our generation ASAP and I will leave it at that. And they think we are entitled, with our 400,000+ debt as first generation college students...lol.

I chose this profession years ago with the goal of helping suicidal patients, depressed, anxious, bipolar, psychotic, and especially the drug addicted. Now I just feel like **** for what I have been put through. Trust me, these PDs should feel ashamed. My entire 4th year was a sham. I just can't believe how hard I worked to end up here. Its taking time, and I will get it together because I always do, and I work hard, and I am not entitled in anyway, but this stings.
The couples match shouldn't hurt you if you build your list appropriately and rank every combination

There is no guarantee this was due to you disclosing a couples match. I know plenty of people with similar feedback that went unmatched this year. Psych was, forgive me for using the term, crazy.

More analysis of the psych match, per the newest released data.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Main-Match-Result-and-Data-2018.pdf

146 US seniors that ranked only psychiatry didn't match, while 916 did. That's a match rate of 86.3% for US seniors for psych, pretty brutal, and represents the lowest match rate of US seniors with only one specialty choice to any specific specialty. Lower than derm. Lower than plastics. Lower than ortho, neurosurg, or vascular. For independent applicants, it had the sixth lowest match rate of any categorical field, being beaten only by IR, ortho, neurosurg, plastics, and vascular. See page 32 of the report for source.

Psych, med-psych, fm-psych, and peds-psych comprised four of the top five fields requiring the least applicants to be interviewed per position matched, at 3.9, 3.7, 2.7, and 4.1 applicants interviewed per position, with the only more competitive categorical field in this regard being thoracic surgery at 3.0 applicants per position.

As more data comes out, I'm just so happy to have matched at all, my god.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users