Match 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree that high standardized exam scores don’t necessarily translate into being a good resident, but wouldn’t being hard-working, persistent, organized and responsible be desirable qualities both for students and workers in pretty much any field? I mean, I think I understand what you’re saying, and I’m sure doing well in residency takes more than acing multiple choice tests and being a smooth schmoozer with your evaluating attendings (which is apparently the leading factor in clinical grading at my school), but I believe there is also a substantial overlap in personal qualities between a good resident and a good student.
Ok but now you're trivializing said qualities. Being hard-working, persistent, organized, and responsible are desirable qualities for being a hair stylist, clergyman, government official, astronaut, bounty hunter, etc. So in this regard, yes of course there must be such overlap.

Albert Einstein said "education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." That's a little dramatic, but medical school, in my view, is not liberated from the subtle but pervasive hand of the post-Enlightenment habitus: a display case of carefully ordered and boxed specimens in its own right (in this case, you're the specimen). The problem is that the academy, the military barracks, the prison, the hospital...they all stop at the campus edge, and the world beyond just isn't so neat and satisfying. This is what I have found myself unlearning in residency, and I hope to spend the rest of my life and career unlearning.

Members don't see this ad.

As more data comes out, I'm just so happy to have matched at all, my god.
I wasn't in the match this year, but my time wasn't too long ago. I was upset on match day because I hadn't gotten my first choice. I want to go back in time to my match day and give myself a big fat slap across the face. And then kick myself while I'm down. And then pee on myself for good measure. Ha.

Reactions: 2 users
I wasn't in the match this year, but my time wasn't too long ago. I was upset on match day because I hadn't gotten my first choice. I want to go back in time to my match day and give myself a big fat slap across the face. And then kick myself while I'm down. And then pee on myself for good measure. Ha.
I didn't even match in my top 6 lol. I'm wayyyyy down there

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm hoping I feel the same in the near future. I matched very far on my list, but I'm glad I even got a spot since I now realize some deficiencies that a good interview cant hide compared to others who did just as well on interview day.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm hoping I feel the same in the near future. I matched very far on my list, but I'm glad I even got a spot since I now realize some deficiencies that a good interview cant hide compared to others who did just as well on interview day.
I matched at my 7th choice. The thing to remember is that, just because you think you knew what you were doing when you ranked programs, doesn't mean you did. I realize now how mistaken was my first choice. I dodged a bullet. And here I am at my 7th choice, happy as a pig in ****: I have incredible working relationships with my co-residents and I am close friends with many of them; I work under a program director who is brilliant and approachable and cares deeply about his residents (same even goes for our department chair, haha). My program has plenty of flaws, but I'm happy around this 7th choice team I'm part of.

Reactions: 4 users
146 US seniors that ranked only psychiatry didn't match, while 916 did. That's a match rate of 86.3% for US seniors for psych, pretty brutal, and represents the lowest match rate of US seniors with only one specialty choice to any specific specialty. Lower than derm. Lower than plastics. Lower than ortho, neurosurg, or vascular.

Wow. That's a big jump from the year prior with a 92.6% match rate.
I guess this makes me feel a little better about not matching.

lol jk. still sucks.

Reactions: 1 users
More analysis of the psych match, per the newest released data.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Main-Match-Result-and-Data-2018.pdf

146 US seniors that ranked only psychiatry didn't match, while 916 did. That's a match rate of 86.3% for US seniors for psych, pretty brutal, and represents the lowest match rate of US seniors with only one specialty choice to any specific specialty. Lower than derm. Lower than plastics. Lower than ortho, neurosurg, or vascular. For independent applicants, it had the sixth lowest match rate of any categorical field, being beaten only by IR, ortho, neurosurg, plastics, and vascular. See page 32 of the report for source.

Psych, med-psych, fm-psych, and peds-psych comprised four of the top five fields requiring the least applicants to be interviewed per position matched, at 3.9, 3.7, 2.7, and 4.1 applicants interviewed per position, with the only more competitive categorical field in this regard being thoracic surgery at 3.0 applicants per position.

As more data comes out, I'm just so happy to have matched at all, my god.

The match is a mess and the rise in interest in psych is a mess. I think my school has legitimately >10% of my class aiming for psychiatry at this time. I guess I really can't blame W19 for bailing for a field where at least he knew he could match into.

The match is a mess and the rise in interest in psych is a mess. I think my school has legitimately >10% of my class aiming for psychiatry at this time. I guess I really can't blame W19 for bailing for a field where at least he knew he could match into.
If I knew how competitive it was going to be I definitely would have approached things differently. I was one rank away from not matching and didn't rank my backup specialty at all.

Reactions: 1 user