Match Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freud1988

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having anxiety about the match. I interviewed at 12 programs and I did not do audition rotations at any of the places that I ranked. I did rank all the programs I interviewed at because I do not want to scramble on monday. I am just nervous about matching at programs I ranked 10-12.

Has anyone matched at a program they ranked number 1 without rotating there?

Members don't see this ad.

Everything's gonna be alright. Only a very few of us will come up short. 12 interviews and an sdn'ers predilection for lining up your ducks neurotically......I can't see you not matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people have matched #1 without auditioning. Psych is not that competitive. Unless you ranked the top 12 programs in the country, I doubt you'll have a problem.

As long as you are not socially awkward you should be fine...barring any failures on boards or professionalism issues. Enjoy this weekend because every one from now on will never be the same.

Listen, there is little you can do. Enjoy your life, you've graduated one of the toughest professional schools around. A port will be found for you to moor up against.

Matched!

Now replacing Monday anxiety with Friday anxiety...

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
So 40 unfilled spots around the country - offhand how does that compare to previous years?

The regional stats report on NRMP is interesting to look at, but I have no context. Interesting to see open Derm spots, for instance.

And what is with the 400+ general surgery unfilled spots? Can I assume that is mostly prelims?

How'd you find that data if you matched? SOAP offerings are only available to those who did not match...

How'd you find that data if you matched? SOAP offerings are only available to those who did not match...

Look on your NRMP - at reports - they released the regional summary of unfilled positions at noon (no individual programs, just unfilled by region).

Only SOAPers get to see the unfilled programs, beginning at 1 pm.

It's surprising that some pretty big name places still have multiple spots.

Members don't see this ad :)

Now how do you know that? Is it being reported by PDs on SDN?

Are you in SOAP? Have you seen the list?

Cleveland Clinic has 4 unfilled spots?
Medical College of Georgia has 5.
UC Irvine has 3.

Do these places suck or something?

So 40 unfilled spots around the country - offhand how does that compare to previous years?

The regional stats report on NRMP is interesting to look at, but I have no context. Interesting to see open Derm spots, for instance.

And what is with the 400+ general surgery unfilled spots? Can I assume that is mostly prelims?
I would bet that... fewer are willing to work hard for no garaunteed shot at completing a residency. They're looking for good working hours, less headache and more free time.

Reactions: 1 user
What are some other places that went unfilled?
No, idea. In fact those numbers aren't even verifiable. They are just through the grapevine. I'm looking for a link for the official report but can't find it yet.

UC Irvine then better start accepting IMGs.

I think it's funny that UC Irvine supposedly doesn't take DOs. They used to be a DO school.

Did all the Florida programs fill? I matched, but I wanna know if my home program filled.

Well 60 unfilled spots for radiology. 37 for gas.

So much for ROAD. Looks like Psych is on the upswing.

What you guys think?

Quite a bit more than the last few years, when there have been as few as 6-7 real positions unfilled.
I don't have access to the specific programs, but I wonder if some of it comes from there being several brand new programs matching for the first time this year. The regional report was pretty even across the country for psych.

I am looking at 2012 data, 38 unmatched spots out of 1,118 = 3.4%. This years is 40/1,372 = 2.9%. Does not look like a significant change to me.

Update: found these around the web:
2009: 11/1,063
2010: 16/1,091

The jump between last year and two years ago may be an artifact from the all in policy.

% unfilled positions isn’t in inverse ratio to “competitiveness”. It is in ratio to the cavalier nature of training directors in the field. Psychiatry training directors know they need to throw their nets very broadly and it has been that way a very long time. Radiologists probably have been complacent for a long time and have had very high standards. A small dip of a few % could leave a lot of positions unfilled. Radiology may have turned from climbing to falling, but they are still miles above us.

In general, no, they don't suck. Certainly not malignant.

I am curious about MCG because they almost seem to prefer (or at least don't mind) having to get people in SOAP. What I mean is they only interview about 60 total people for their spots (7?). That is a really low number of interviewees...and they have had similar numbers of unfilled openings in recent years.

Heck I was faculty at MCG for 2 years and didn't get interviews there...lol

Well 60 unfilled spots for radiology. 37 for gas.

So much for ROAD. Looks like Psych is on the upswing.

What you guys think?

Does anyone have the full list of unfilled spots for all specialties?

The jump between last year and two years ago may be an artifact from the all in policy.

% unfilled positions isn’t in inverse ratio to “competitiveness”. It is in ratio to the cavalier nature of training directors in the field. Psychiatry training directors know they need to throw their nets very broadly and it has been that way a very long time. Radiologists probably have been complacent for a long time and have had very high standards. A small dip of a few % could leave a lot of positions unfilled. Radiology may have turned from climbing to falling, but they are still miles above us.

Well, they do earn like 400k right now.

I think it's funny that UC Irvine supposedly doesn't take DOs. They used to be a DO school.

I requested them for an interview. Didn't get one. So happy I matched today though. I'm not that anxious about Friday. I was far more anxious about today, and am hugely relieved now.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have the full list of unfilled spots for all specialties?

Well, they do earn like 400k right now.

Yeah but they have to work in rural midwest to crank 400k.

At least in psych you may 'only' make 300k but at least the job market is decent.

I requested them for an interview. Didn't get one. So happy I matched today though. I'm not that anxious about Friday. I was far more anxious about today, and am hugely relieved now.

Fantastic! Congrats.

At least in psych you may 'only' make 300k but at least the job market is decent.

making 300k in psych converted to that same %ile in radiology translates to about 700k.

making 300k in psych converted to that same %ile in radiology translates to about 700k.

Really? Interesting. Didnt think rads made that much.....I readon rads forum that salaries were around 300 to 400.

Correct me if im wrong but a 40 hour psych makes on avg. 200k whereas a 60 hour psych hits around 320k?

Actually V is closer to correct here. Psych 300k seems to be 75th % or maybe higher? Rads 75th % can get pretty high (probably more 500'ish). Many surveys have the mean of Rads to be 350-400k and psych to be closer to 200-230k.

Yeah but then you have to do Rads. And not 1980s rads. Go to a reading room and see how much fun they're having.

Actually V is closer to correct here. Psych 300k seems to be 75th % or maybe higher? Rads 75th % can get pretty high (probably more 500'ish). Many surveys have the mean of Rads to be 350-400k and psych to be closer to 200-230k.

psych 300k is around the 90th perent.

Correct me if im wrong but a 40 hour psych makes on avg. 200k whereas a 60 hour psych hits around 320k?

well it's not that simple.....hours often aren't something that are freely and conveniently available for the same pay as the previous hours.

Why do jack shephard and vistaril drop in on every damn thread to piss on psychiatry, like this thread about people involved in this year's match? Please, go to a sub forum where your craptastic insight is appreciated. You guys are freaking broken records...

Reactions: 3 users
Quite a bit more than the last few years, when there have been as few as 6-7 real positions unfilled.
I don't have access to the specific programs, but I wonder if some of it comes from there being several brand new programs matching for the first time this year. The regional report was pretty even across the country for psych.
Can the many unfilled spots be due to the suspension of pre-matched offers to interviewers?

Psychiatrists in SD working at state hospital work very cush hours (I doubt ever >40/wk) take call 1 weekend q2 months. Avg salary for them is 280-300K. Just letting ya know they're out there, but probably not near a beach or anywhere anyone wants to live for that matter lol

Why do jack shephard and vistaril drop in on every damn thread to piss on psychiatry, like this thread about people involved in this year's match? Please, go to a sub forum where your craptastic insight is appreciated. You guys are freaking broken records...

Haha. I actually like reading about the business of all medicine, and I thoroughly enjoy psychiatry and my psych rotation. Psychiatry is one of the most interesting fields right now because it's in flux.

Tell me what I've said to piss on psychiatry in this thread?

Stating facts about mean salaries is not malignant in anyway. Feel free to ignore me though if I am frustrating you. I'm not trying to upset you.

This is the only thread on SDN where I found a discussion about SOAP spots in mutliple specialties so far, hence I joined the discussion.

Last edited:
Haha. I actually like reading about the business of all medicine, and I thoroughly enjoy psychiatry and my psych rotation. Psychiatry is one of the most interesting fields right now because it's in flux.

Tell me what I've said to piss on psychiatry in this thread?

Stating facts about mean salaries is not malignant in anyway. Feel free to ignore me though if I am frustrating you. I'm not trying to upset you.

This is the only thread on SDN where I found a discussion about SOAP spots in mutliple specialties so far, hence I joined the discussion.

To be fair, what is the mean job in psychiatry? It's completely useless to say 200k is the mean. Multiple cash only practices in my area run at $360/hr. 1 forensics lady bills at $500/hr+. Academic gigs fall way short of your 200k here.

Without specifying the type of practice, hours, location, etc, you really can't correct anyone on potential $ in the field accurately.

The local MHMR pays the equivalent of $275k on 1099 for 40 hr weeks. It just depends on your requirements and flexibility to make big money.

To be fair, what is the mean job in psychiatry? It's completely useless to say 200k is the mean. Multiple cash only practices in my area run at $360/hr. 1 forensics lady bills at $500/hr+. Academic gigs fall way short of your 200k here.

Without specifying the type of practice, hours, location, etc, you really can't correct anyone on potential $ in the field accurately.

The local MHMR pays the equivalent of $275k on 1099 for 40 hr weeks. It just depends on your requirements and flexibility to make big money.

Oh, yeah I was just quoting the mean salaries - like I've seen on any salary survey (medscape, MGMA, AMGA, American labor statistics - bls.gov, etc.) It baffles me that quoting a salary statistic is pissing on a field, but if adding reason and facts to a discussion is being a broken record - I'm glad to play that part.:thumbup:

Anyway, good luck to everyone of Friday.;)

Last edited:
Just wanted to say good luck to anyone going SOAP.

I was in the last class to scramble in 2011, but still managed to match into one of the best programs in the Midwest (despite only 5 spots being available in the midwest that year). Good things are possible, and I admittedly don't know a whole lot about the SOAP procedure, but I'd advise anyone going through it to have your school's program director or undergrad advisor around during the procedure. His enforcement got me a quite a few good contacts on the scramble day which paid off.