Match Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Glad to hear you matched from scramble; that is encouraging. This is a very anxious time.

Members don't see this ad.

there seems to be a fairly strong obsession on this board to compare psychiatry to other specialties. guess rads is the flavor of the week

Best of luck in the SOAP guys.

As a side note: I really can't recommend the ignore button enough. Previously I thought of it as a cop out. But this board is always being trolled. And if you ignore a troll as soon as you suspect them it's like they can't even get in your head at all. Which always what the game is. I don't get it. But it sure cleans up my time spent here to just interacting with real people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Come on man. You've hit the nurses harder than anyone in that Allo thread. Any post I've made in this thread is miles behind your inflammatory comments on that thread.

Anyway, I wash my hands of this - and I won't post here any longer. I understand you want to fraternize with only those who agree with you. Anyone who doesn't is "trolling". It's like American politics, if you can't agree on something then obviously the other person is flawed and of poor character, it's not possible that two people could disagree and at the same time be rational and thoughtful human beings. It can only be the one "right" perspective and the troll. That's not polarizing at all.

Good luck Nas. I'm sure I'll read your posts in the Allo forum. I do honestly wish you well and hope you are very successful for many decades to come.

Bro....I never once thought of you when I said that. I agreed with psychotic insofar as he who shall not be named was concerned. I wish you success as well. Thanks.

Bro....I never once thought of you when I said that. I agreed with psychotic insofar as he who shall not be named was concerned. I wish you success as well. Thanks.

Oops. I saw that psychotic was upset at me and I jumped to conclusions.

My misunderstanding. And I apologize - deleted my post.

I know you'll be a fantastic psychiatrist. Good luck.

I
Haha. I actually like reading about the business of all medicine, and I thoroughly enjoy psychiatry and my psych rotation. Psychiatry is one of the most interesting fields right now because it's in flux.

Tell me what I've said to piss on psychiatry in this thread?

Stating facts about mean salaries is not malignant in anyway. Feel free to ignore me though if I am frustrating you. I'm not trying to upset you.

This is the only thread on SDN where I found a discussion about SOAP spots in mutliple specialties so far, hence I joined the discussion.

I actually appreciate your posts. I find them informative.

Im an img from the uk and found out I am matching into psych yesterday. So im excited abt my new career in the states.

You mind expanding on why you think "psych is in flux" in the us?

Psychiatrists in SD working at state hospital work very cush hours (I doubt ever >40/wk) take call 1 weekend q2 months. Avg salary for them is 280-300K. Just letting ya know they're out there, but probably not near a beach or anywhere anyone wants to live for that matter lol

most state hospital jobs(which are becoming more scarce by the way as state inpt units continue to close) pay about 150k...albeit with good bennies.

Not that good... Get the same insurance, 401k, time off, CME, etc. as private industry.

well many states around these parts still have defined benefit pension plans....so that is the big difference.

I can't believe how well the ignore function works (much better than under the old SDN system). I should have used that bad boy a long time ago...it completely scrubs any trace of people you don't want to read, including when they are quoted in another poster's post.

I know. It's like renditioning someone. They just disappear.

It makes for a fun puzzle too. Calculating for the unseen dark matter of conversation.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be fair, what is the mean job in psychiatry? It's completely useless to say 200k is the mean. Multiple cash only practices in my area run at $360/hr. 1 forensics lady bills at $500/hr+. Academic gigs fall way short of your 200k here.

Without specifying the type of practice, hours, location, etc, you really can't correct anyone on potential $ in the field accurately.

The local MHMR pays the equivalent of $275k on 1099 for 40 hr weeks. It just depends on your requirements and flexibility to make big money.

Is that 275 in Texas? ATCMHMR? Bluebonnet Trails?

Pension plans are not that great compared to Federal or private. Doesn't make-up for the wage disparity.

some states it is as good as federal retirement plan. Not saying it makes up for the wage disparity, but the bennies for many state workers are very good.

I see where you are coming from. I still stand that benefits aren't all that great IMO. I think it's more of a discussion on what's more importance in ranking (Retirement plans, matching 401k, time off, CME monies, etc).

Care to weigh in on the NRMP glitch, OPD?

Heard about it on here first--got NRMP notification of it a couple of hours ago--probably same thing they sent you. Didn't check myself.

To Main Residency Match Participants:
Earlier today the NRMP received notice that some Main Residency Match applicants were able to view their match results before the results were released if they right-clicked their Home Page in the Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system. Immediately upon learning of this situation, we took steps to assure that this can no longer occur. We are investigating to determine how such premature access was possible.
No applicant was able to view the results of another applicant, and no applicant was able to view the personal information of another applicant. Match results for all applicants will be released on Friday, March 21, at 1:00 p.m. EDT. Please be assured that the validity of Match results was not affected.
NRMP Staff

Last edited:
Supplemental Offer Acceptance Program, not unlike subjective/objective/assessment/plan

Situation a little complicated here but I'm in desperate need of answers...
I am a Canadian citizen who graduated in November from Ross University in the Caribbean.
My step scores were both 231. GPA was 3.8.
All my interviews gave me positive feedback during and after interviews, via email.
I didn't match and now that the first round of SOAP has gone by, I still haven't received any offers.
I applied to psych and family medicine (both really not that competitive)...
What will be my options if I go completely unmatched? I really want to be a psychiatrist. And i honestly don't care where at in the world. I personally do not like the healthcare system in the states so working as a medical officer/intern/resident ANYWHERE ELSE in the world would be ok for me.. if that's possible. any countries recommended?
I'm also open to other options involving either teaching, etc..
I am currently living in central america where I see patients daily as a family practitioner.
Any advice greatly appreciated :) Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what he said ^ (although a lot of research jobs might require a two year commitment, especially for an international graduate)

also, I'm really surprised someone with 230+ step scores didn't match in psych and fm. are there any other red flags on your application that you can work on remedying in the next one year?

a half year MSF gig wouldn't hurt your resume either