Match Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else having difficulty sleeping / nightmares about not matching? i go to bed every night tossing and turning for at least an hour thinking about it going either way... :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto. I think I have PUD too. :(

Not worse than not matching, but still scary, is the shame I will undoubtedly feel if I don't match with the good # of interviews I have. Not only will I let myself down, I will also let down my family, friends, and school...

AHH!

:: must think positive thoughts ::

See I'd rather be in your shoes. I did not end up with the # of interviews I desired and well, it's definitely going to be a long shot. The worst part is having to wait another 2 months to get this verdict. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
See I'd rather be in your shoes. I did not end up with the # of interviews I desired and well, it's definitely going to be a long shot. The worst part is having to wait another 2 months to get this verdict. :(

I'm on the same boat as you, Mariah. I'm more afraid of NOT matching than where I match...

I completely understand, I don't care at all where I match. They could open a new approved residency in the Gaza Strip and I'd be on the next plane out. I might bring a few heavily padded vests of course :)

Like you, my huge, gnawing fear is not matching.

Guys, if it makes you feel any better --- I only have one interview:(

I am TERRIFIED!!!

iluvskin- you know what they say (cliche, cliche, i know): it only takes one.

I am beginning to lose sleep over it as well. I worry and worry constantly, not so much about matching but about the rank list. I have no idea how to actually rank these programs. I'm attempting to go by gut feeling but the issue of location is looming its ugly head at me as well.

I'm scared of moving to a new and strange land haha. Packing up and leaving my family? Starting ALL over again in a new state. :scared:

I think taking CK and CS in the middle of all of this has kept me so distracted and burnt out that I tend to sleep peacefully (so I think). Then again, perhaps I am always "still" drained because I also toss and turn even during the deep sleep cycles.

I think taking CK and CS in the middle of all of this has kept me so distracted and burnt out that I tend to sleep peacefully (so I think). Then again, perhaps I am always "still" drained because I also toss and turn even during the deep sleep cycles.

i'm the opposite. i think taking CK in the middle of this makes it all the more difficult to sleep because not only am i worrying about not matching, but i am also worried i won't get a high enough score just in case heaven forbid i have to re-apply.

i'm the opposite. i think taking CK in the middle of this makes it all the more difficult to sleep because not only am i worrying about not matching, but i am also worried i won't get a high enough score just in case heaven forbid i have to re-apply.

studying for CK distracted me but now I'm in the same boat, waiting for my score and worrying about it (I think I've had several dreams about the situation where I don't match and get a horrible score), thankfully I've discovered that a glass of wine tends to help...

I am not immune...

I had a dream (nightmare) last night where I was doing FM for my prelim and I "think" Derm was in there. I hope Derm was in there...

I think I get my CK score tomorrow. You guys?

Last edited:
I had a similar experience. I actually had a dream where I would have matched (YAY!) but I hadn't submitted my rank order list on time and appropriately (NOO!)

:eek:

You mean a bottle?????

I had a dream (nightmare) last night where I was doing FM for my prelim and I "think" Derm was in there. I hope Derm was in there...

I need to go crack open the Chartreuse. Here's to the 4 and unders! :)

chartreuse_vep.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
He he, I could go for some cookie!

Seriously though, it's hard trying to enjoy 4th year with the amount of pressure/anxiety derm applicants face. I only had 2 interviews, so it's that much harder to stay calm:scared:.

But hey, we've got to try to enjoy what will essentially be the last year we could take months off at a time before we retire :). Good luck to all:luck:!

He he, I could go for some cookie!

Seriously though, it's hard trying to enjoy 4th year with the amount of pressure/anxiety derm applicants face. I only had 2 interviews, so it's that much harder to stay calm:scared:.

But hey, we've got to try to enjoy what will essentially be the last year we could take months off at a time before we retire :). Good luck to all:luck:!

I don't think it matters.

Obviously those with fewer interviews are very stressed out.

I had 7 myself and am still very stressed, considering I've been told it usually takes 10 to match

Heck, those with 10+ interviews probably are still quaking in their boots. oh how I wish I were in those boots :p

I don't know how much longer I can wait to find out what is going to happen in March. 1.5 months left...

All this waiting is making me increasingly anxious, especially at night.

I just want to :barf:

Long Dong, how'd you deal with it? I think it's a lot harder for ppl without a ton of interviews.
:diebanana:

I feel very very fortunate to be in that 10+ group of interviewees, and I still have a bunch of anxiety about my chances of matching. I don't know if I would feel any better with more interviews because I have heard stories of people from the past with BUNCHES of interviews who still did not match, so I know it happens. I'm just trying to say "serenity now!" to myself a lot. That worked in Seinfeld, right? ;)

Long Dong, how'd you deal with it? I think it's a lot harder for ppl without a ton of interviews.
:diebanana:
I did alot of netflix, watched whole season of heros in 2 days, prison brake, samuri movies, animee and lots of grey goose on the weekends.

Which samurai movies? The classics? :)

Yes the classic samurai movies. My favorite Kurosawa movie is this one:
200px-SANJURO.JPG

I also watched the whole series of this one:
lonewolf.jpg

And I also ended up buying the blind swordsman series:
ZatoichiMusicalJourney2.jpg

My new favorites is the Azumi movies
azumi.jpg

If you guys get really bored samurai movies are the bomb way to pass the time.

You know, before about a week ago I had zero anxiety—not because I am 100% in my match, rather, I just had a lot of other things on my mind. Now I am on a really easy rotation where the residents send me home about ten in the morning, and this leaves lots of leftover time for fretting (& movie watching).

Surprisingly, I actually feel calm, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just the fact that everything is pretty much finished now; all we could do is wait. I'm by no means a stellar candidate, but I'm keeping positive:thumbup:. And besides, I'll have something to keep me occupied, and scared out of my mind, over next weekend:D.

resident_evil5_cover.jpg

i'm getting really anxious about this. i need reassurance

Wow..just 3 days.. less than 100 hours...this is it!!

Maybe we should start a chat room sunday night to let out all our anxiety?!

I'm getting some acupuncture done to see if that helps.... you never know

Wow..just 3 days.. less than 100 hours...this is it!!

Maybe we should start a chat room sunday night to let out all our anxiety?!

Yea, that's a thought. I'm not sure how well I'll sleep come Sunday night. Hopefully :sleep:, and not :scared:.

My mind is churning. Had a lucid dream of winter sports and seeing a friend I have not seen for over 20 years... Fortunately I am not currently having the "You have match into *insert field other than Derm*" dream...

Pretest does wonders to preoccupy the mind. :)