Matched into IM then got waived

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sbos40

Reaction score
Hey,
I’m a Non US IMG,
Step 1:239
Step 2: 225
Step 2CS: passed first round
YOG: 2018
US research: 1 month at Weill Cornell, 1 month with University of Mississippi
USCIS: Observership 1 month Cleveland Clinic, Externship at a Private Clinic ED
Publication: only one poster

I matched into IM in the 2020 match but due to visa issues i couldn’t start on time and the program started the waiver. IM was my back up and I matched into it, I’m wondering what my chances are of matching into Neuro this year.
I’m on an H4 so I should be getting my work permit soon, but till then I will have to apply as a visa requiring applicant.
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I’m a Non US IMG,
Step 1:239
Step 2: 225
Step 2CS: passed first round
YOG: 2018
US research: 1 month at Weill Cornell, 1 month with University of Mississippi
USCIS: Observership 1 month Cleveland Clinic, Externship at a Private Clinic ED
Publication: only one poster

I matched into IM in the 2020 match but due to visa issues i couldn’t start on time and the program started the waiver. IM was my back up and I matched into it, I’m wondering what my chances are of matching into Neuro this year.
I’m on an H4 so I should be getting my work permit soon, but till then I will have to apply as a visa requiring applicant.
Any thoughts?

The neurology match is has become increasingly competitive over the past several years, however with appropriate planning and strategizing you may find a suitable position if you apply and inquire broadly.

The neurology match is has become increasingly competitive over the past several years, however with appropriate planning and strategizing you may find a suitable position if you apply and inquire broadly.

do you think I have a better chance of IM?

IM is a much larger specialty. Average scores are similar but matching will always be more in your favor in a specialty with that many spots if you are willing to apply and interview broadly.

Reactions: 1 users