Math 31 (Calculus) or physics 30?

Mk971

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently upgrading high school courses as a mature student before I head to undergrad in the fall. I have a choice between taking high school calculus and senior year level physics (physics 30) as a summer school course. I'm wondering which will prepare me for my undergrad courses better. Is uni level physics hard if you haven't taken senior level physics ? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

IMO pre-school physics would be difficult. Everyone is different, but you might find it easier on you to have some background knowledge before taking college physics.

For me, high school calculus helped me in my college classes much more than high school physics, but it might be because I'm not a big math person, and I needed the early exposure so I didn't fall behind. Also, my high school physics teacher was not very good and I didn't learn much ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I'm currently upgrading high school courses as a mature student before I head to undergrad in the fall. I have a choice between taking high school calculus and senior year level physics (physics 30) as a summer school course. I'm wondering which will prepare me for my undergrad courses better. Is uni level physics hard if you haven't taken senior level physics ? Thanks
Take both. But if you can only take one - take physics. Some colleges require calc based physics. Having a semester of calc will help a lot. Algebra based physics hardly holds a candle for engineering level physics. I think my class had a 40% failing rate and of 500ish students, only about 20 got A's

You don't need calculus to take the MCAT, you do need physics.

You don't need calculus to take the MCAT, you do need physics.

Yeah but Calculus is a pre-requisite for applying to many medical schools. Take both.