Mature student in need of guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmd800

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm Canadian and in my early 30's. I work in the oil and gas industry and have become very unsatisified with the corporate world. I do have a great resume however.

I have two degree:
-BSC Computer Science: 10 years ago, 4 year program, 2.7 gpa (horrible grades, and failed my first year of engineering. was a tough time for me)

-BA Economics: Did this degree in 2004, 2 years of study, 3.7 gpa.

I'd like to get into med school and have an interest in Path or Cardiology. My problem is, here in Canada, my overall gpa is going to be a major problem. I'm assuming i can do well in basic sciences (pre med) as I have yet to do these courses but those grades from comp sci will haunt me.

I have a friend who studied at SGU, and is now a psychiatrist here in Canada. The IMG route is appealing given my poor comp sci grades.

So... a big list of questions:

1. Can i go from SGU, to a decent US or Canadian residency program (path or IM-->Card). And if in the US, do they easily accept a Canadian resident? How do Canadian residency programs feel about IMG's?

2. Assume i can get into a US DO program, is this more beneficial for getting into a path/IM residency, either in the US or Canada, vs SGU?

3. Can a Canadian resident, IMG, get into a US Cardiology subspecialty?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump - hopefully a mod will move this to the nontraditional student forum for you. Very helpful posters there.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding from the MSAR is that Canadians aren't treated in the US as other international students are. For the record, the SGU thing, there are several people who will say getting a residency is much more difficult, but you should look that up in the international forums... I think as Canadian, you will not have the difficulty other international students do, and you are more likely to get into a US school than they are...

I assume you mean if i go to SGU, I'll have an easier time getting residency in the US.

From what i'm reading, it seems mature students with good/very good post grad science gpa's have a decent chance getting into US med schools.

I still have to do all my sciences. I'm worried my comp sci BSc grades will haunt me forever though and offshore schools are my only choice even if I get a 3.5+ sgpa and do well on the MCAT.

As long as I can get residency in the US, and have the chance to work in the US (California/Arizona/Nevada) in Pathology or Cardiology, then I'm willing to do what i need. It's just tough to know when you are not a US resident have a bad undergrad gpa.