Air Force Max Number of Research Points

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marinehrnt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to find out the max number of research points allowed for Air Force HPSP students? I have seen 2 points on some documents and a max of 4 on others. Curious if anyone knows the actual number allowed. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It will vary depending on the amount of research and type. I think Max of 4 points for several studies published in peer reviewed journals. This is for all services I think as it is a jmesb

Unless something changed recently the max is 2. It needs to be research published in a peer reviewed journal or a poster presentation at your school.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 points max for AF, 4 for Navy. In the Navy they give 1 point for a poster presentation or in house student journal, 2 points for multiple poster presentations or in house student journals, 3 points for a peer reviewed publication, and 4 points for multiple peer reviewed publications. If it wasn't published it gets you no points regardless of the quality of the project or the time you put into it

Much more importantly (at least in the Navy, though I think service wide) there is no points system for the PGY-1 match, only for the PGY-2 and fellowship match. Even if your service uses the points as more than a guideline (the rumor on SDN is that only the Navy takes considers it definitive) none of this applies to Internship. internship is just a match, and therefore research can only help you if it raises you in the estimation of the PDs who rank you.

As pointed out, the points system doesn't impact the residency match after medical school. It definitely helps your application. It is impressive when medical students are able to get papers published, but it is still a match without a point system into PGY1. The 4 point maximum for fellowship is for 2 peer reviewed pubs, in any journal. So 1 NEJM publication is 2 points, 2 publications in journals with IF of less than 2.o equals 4 points. 2 published case reports can get you maximum points, so I like to push this to residents.

As pointed out, the points system doesn't impact the residency match after medical school. It definitely helps your application. It is impressive when medical students are able to get papers published, but it is still a match without a point system into PGY1. The 4 point maximum for fellowship is for 2 peer reviewed pubs, in any journal. So 1 NEJM publication is 2 points, 2 publications in journals with IF of less than 2.o equals 4 points. 2 published case reports can get you maximum points, so I like to push this to residents.

This is very interesting. I have always been under the impression the even the match for PGY1 was point driven. The AF has sent me several samples of the point system saying that the max is 13 and the more points the better chance of matching. So, if this is not the case is it essentially run like the civilian match? As in based more on scores, auditions and interviews (I know this always plays a part but I have always been told its all about points)? The reason I'm trying to clarify this is because several program directors have told me to get research so I can get more points for matching EM next year.

I am trying to work on some case reports but I'm running into confusion as to where to publish. There are a number of open access journals that have a pay to publish feature, but honestly it seems kind of fishy.
Any advice on where to try to get a case report published? Anything will help as I have zero experience with this. Thanks.

I am trying to work on some case reports but I'm running into confusion as to where to publish. There are a number of open access journals that have a pay to publish feature, but honestly it seems kind of fishy.
Any advice on where to try to get a case report published? Anything will help as I have zero experience with this. Thanks.

It would be great if anyone has experience with publishing. Seems to be lots of "journals" with hefty price tags to get something published.

It would be great if anyone has experience with publishing. Seems to be lots of "journals" with hefty price tags to get something published.

The legitimate journals do not do pay to publish (by and large, although Military Medicine recently instituted a fee for non members). You need to find the journals that cover the specialty in which you are trying to publish. You can always do a search for the impact factor of journals in that field and it will give you an idea of journals. In all honesty though whoever your senior author is should have a really good idea of where a case report would get published.

The ones that make you pay to publish are really out there for the folks from countries where there are publishing requirements to get/maintain employment such as some countries in Asia.

This is very interesting. I have always been under the impression the even the match for PGY1 was point driven. The AF has sent me several samples of the point system saying that the max is 13 and the more points the better chance of matching. So, if this is not the case is it essentially run like the civilian match? As in based more on scores, auditions and interviews (I know this always plays a part but I have always been told its all about points)? The reason I'm trying to clarify this is because several program directors have told me to get research so I can get more points for matching EM next year.

I can't speak for the AF specifically as my experience is all Army, with observation of the Navy Match. For the Army specifically, there is not a point system for the med school to PGY1 match. It is audition rotation, grades, USMLE/COMLEX, recommendations etc. Publications will add to an already strong application, but do not directly get you more 'points' or definitely put you ahead of someone who has better grades, LORs etc.

I can't speak for the AF specifically as my experience is all Army, with observation of the Navy Match. For the Army specifically, there is not a point system for the med school to PGY1 match. It is audition rotation, grades, USMLE/COMLEX, recommendations etc. Publications will add to an already strong application, but do not directly get you more 'points' or definitely put you ahead of someone who has better grades, LORs etc.

I appreciate the feedback. It seems the general consensus is that the points don't really matter for Navy and Army in PGY1. Still a little unsure if the Air Force is using it or not. The handful of program directors I have spoken with in the past two year have all emphasized getting as many points as possible before I graduate. I guess I will just do everything I can to improve my application and not worry too much about the impact of points down the road.

Research points definitely played a role in PGY1 selection for the Navy this year from my experience. To what amount I'm not sure, but it was involved.