Maximizing # of rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaNugget79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Random question: Does anyone know of any tricks to maximizing the number of your military rotations? A friend and I want to share ADTs so that while one does an official ADT, the other will stay with them in the room and do a non-ADT, and we'll then just switch for the next rotation at another hospital or even possibly the same hospital. That way no one has to pay for housing. Don't know if this is feasible. Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

It certainly sounds feasible, provided there are enough beds. The lodging where I just stayed had two double beds and my wife and daughter stayed with me.

This is actually a great way to get 4 military rotations for the price of 2. Walter Reed uses the Mologne House for ADT's, and the room i was in had two double beds. BAMC's rooms only had one, but i'm sure you could get a roll away or something. I haven't rotated at any of the other medical centers, so i'm not sure what they use for housing, but i imagine they're similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's exactly what I'm looking for...where did you stay Leo that had the two beds? It's great to see Walter Reed has two beds. Can anyone else tell me what lodging has two beds? Thanks guys.

Ft. Lewis Lodging (Madigan) has two beds (and kitchenettes in many rooms). The Lodging is very nice (a bit nicer than the BOQ at Ft. Sam).

Great idea for the extra rotations. Most of the Navy bachelor quarters are set up like hotel suites with 2 beds, or at least a bed and a pull-out couch. For the unfunded rotations, you will still need to get "No Cost TAD" orders to allow you to rotate. This should be no problem, just ask the rotation director or the admin folks in the department. Good luck.
Remember, too that you can only get one funded per fiscal year. Do one in August or September, than the other funded rotation after October 1 when the new FY starts. Two "audition rotation" is plenty, try to find something unusual and military specific to do as your other funded trip. Radiology at Tripler in the winter, etc.
DD

Greetings! - long time reader first time poster.

I am a newly accepted Med student to start next August and am considering the HPSP program. I got the impression from one of the above posts that during an ADT or non-ADT rotation at a military hospital family members could come with you? Do I understand this correctly?

Also any of you HPSPers with wife and or children, any opinions about what your family thought of the experience(s)?

thanks for the info.

ZREAGLE,
My wife thought the HPSP program was great, the extra money in medschool really helped us have a life. We've moved around a fair amount in the first few years, that was a bit of a sore point so discuss that aspect. Also, a spouses career issues become a very big deal due to your movement. We moved 4 times in 2 years, so if spouse's employment is a big deal, military life can be tough. My kids are little and portable, so they think it's fun.
My wife and daughter came with me on some rotations in med school. The Navy won't pay for their travel, but they don't really care who stays with you when you're training.
DD