Maximum GPA to consider postbacc/SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's a common choice.

So, handle it in the secondary? I would think you would want to keep it brief, since you don't want to sound like you're going to be a prisoner of circumstance while you're in medical school. "I had consulted with a counselor about my performance and took steps to resolve the issues."

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Gpa is a measure of coping, time management, resiliency, adaptability and often,teamwork, not just content.

I was asking more in terms of how long it will take one to redeem his or herself. One semester of good grades is usually not enough but perhaps 1-2 years is!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would guess:

1) Extreme rigor/grade-deflating environment.
2) Learning disability
3) Family/work commitments that get in the way of academics.
4) Laziness
5) Emotional instability/mental illness
6) Poor time-management skills.

Is a former mental illness like depression held against applicants?

Wasn't SDN resident mimelim one of those users with a 3.4/40? He certainly got in.
AdCom members can say all they want that they don't care about major or rigor. But I have a hard time believing that if they have two applicants, an art history major with a 4.0/29 and a chemical engineering major with a 3.4/40, that they will simply surmise that the latter has poor time management skills...

Last edited:
Is a former mental illness like depression held against applicants?
That's kind of a loaded question. Look at it from their perspective. If your mental illness prevented you from succeeding in undergrad, what's to stop it from preventing you from succeeding in med school?

Last edited:
Wasn't SDN resident mimelim one of those users with a 3.4/40? He certainly got in.
His publication record is also insane.

Wouldn't use a genius in an insanely difficult major at a rigorous undergrad as an example of how a 3.4/40 can get into medical school :p

Regarding the GPA vs MCAT debate, both are equally important since GPA measures long-term academic trends, while MCAT measures aptitude for standardized tests in one sitting. A strong GPA/MCAT combo provides much more information about the academic quality of an applicant along than a strong MCAT or strong GPA alone.

Since the medical career depends heavily on standardized tests, the MCAT has a priority over the GPA, so someone with a low GPA/high MCAT has more of an advantage in medical school admissions than a high GPA/low MCAT applicant, even despite the latter being much more common and favored at certain localized schools.

I feel like GPA can only really be used to measure personal academic trends. If an applicant improves from a 2.5 freshman year to 3.5-4.0 semesters obviously they are diligent students. However, I think comparing two students separated by like a 0.2 GPA difference, which is half a letter grade tops, isn't a fair determinant of their work ability.

At my state school, professors change their grading systems from semester to semester. There's noticeable variation comparing a student who took the same class with the same professor in the fall to a student who took the class in the spring. So a 0.2 variation can easily be explained by comparing a student who had curves in all their pre-reqs to a student who had none.

One more on the list is that some people are born standardized test takers. It's a skill, like having innate musical talent.

A 3.2 and a 39 MCAT would bring to mind the following:
1. Persistent relationship problems (family/romantic/roommate), unplanned pregnancy.
2. substance abuse
3. medical/psychiatric problems
4. judgement/ego issues regarding choice of major or classes.
5. untreated learning disabilities

From what I recall, everything about him was stellar except for the GPA. @mimelim, care to elaborate?

One more on the list is that some people are born standardized test takers. It's a skill, like having innate musical talent.

From what I recall, everything about him was stellar except for the GPA. @mimelim, care to elaborate?

Something that I didn't appreciate when I started on SDN is that while my cGPA was 3.4, my sGPA was ~3.8. In addition, I was taking 3-4 Physics classes every semester from second semester freshman year onward in addition to my pre-med course load. I honestly didn't know what an sGPA was until I was already well into medical school. So, while I certainly had a 3.4, I think that adcoms would have seen that in a different light. I very bluntly told adcoms that I never really paid attention to my grades and simply worked hard on things that I cared about and nobody really blinked an eye at any of the top 10 that I interviewed at. But yes, in addition to my academics, I had a strong research background, strong LOR, etc. In retrospect, I was lacking in clinical experience. But, honestly everyone just wanted to talk about research when I interviewed.

Reactions: 1 users