May MCAT Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EasternMer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear about more MCAT dates opening up for May? I really don't want to submit a late app by taking it in June.

Members don't see this ad.

Schools don't see AMCAS until July 1 this year. Submit AMCAS whenever it's ready with 1 school so it can get verified, then once you get your MCAT score, add the rest of the schools. Taking the MCAT in June means a July score, a few weeks makes no difference and certainly doesn't make you a "late app." Once you start getting into September, then we can start talking about being late.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools don't see AMCAS until July 1 this year. Submit AMCAS whenever it's ready with 1 school so it can get verified, then once you get your MCAT score, add the rest of the schools. Taking the MCAT in June means a July score, a few weeks makes no difference and certainly doesn't make you a "late app." Once you start getting into September, then we can start talking about being late.
Really? In years past, when was the first date schools saw AMCAS? Was it June 1st?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? In years past, when was the first date schools saw AMCAS? Was it June 1st?

No. The first day you can submit is not the first day AMCAS is released to schools. It's usually mid to late June, seems to be getting slightly later each year. This year it's July 1. So it doesn't matter if you're verified on June 1 or 7 or 28, schools won't see it until July 1.

No. The first day you can submit is not the first day AMCAS is released to schools. It's usually mid to late June, seems to be getting slightly later each year. This year it's July 1. So it doesn't matter if you're verified on June 1 or 7 or 28, schools won't see it until July 1.
Right but my scores wouldn't be released until the 3rd week of July. Wouldn't that be a bit late? Some applicants might already be turning back secondaries, no?

Still not late.
Ok, I believe it's not "late", but I thought the SDN orthodoxy was have everything in on like the first hour possible? There's not much of a choice considering there are no seats on the May date, but understanding the relative risks wouldn't hurt

Ok, I believe it's not "late", but I thought the SDN orthodoxy was have everything in on like the first hour possible? There's not much of a choice considering there are no seats on the May date, but understanding the relative risks wouldn't hurt

What "relative risks"? SDN neuroticism is not the baseline on which to judge early or late. If she is proactive about turning around secondaries, she'll be complete in late July/early August. That is early. If we were talking September, then we can start talking about late. Also considering EVMS average GPA is 3.4 and MCAT 30, depending on her MCAT score she should be competitive for that school and many others.

This is like the MS4's freaking the heck out when ERAS was down on submission day this year. The neuroticism unfortunately doesn't end with AMCAS.

What "relative risks"? SDN neuroticism is not the baseline on which to judge early or late. If she is proactive about turning around secondaries, she'll be complete in late July/early August. That is early. If we were talking September, then we can start talking about late. Also considering EVMS average GPA is 3.4 and MCAT 30, depending on her MCAT score she should be competitive for that school and many others.

This is like the MS4's freaking the heck out when ERAS was down on submission day this year. The neuroticism unfortunately doesn't end with AMCAS.
I mean something like RR=(applying early August)/(applying literally ASAP)=?
Is it 1.0, 1.1, or 5.0 of not getting in?
I'm figuring since the seats are filled up nationwide (within the first hours), this might be a problem for a few people, so I'm wondering if this is generalizable from low-tier to high-tier schools.

I mean something like RR=(applying early August)/(applying literally ASAP)=?
Is it 1.0, 1.1, or 5.0 of not getting in?
I'm figuring since the seats are filled up nationwide (within the first hours), this might be a problem for a few people, so I'm wondering if this is generalizable from low-tier to high-tier schools.

I know what relative risk is. There is minimal risk associated with being complete a few weeks after AMCAS is released to schools. I am at a "high-tier" school and we admit people who are complete in Sept and later (aka they're not interviewing for a waitlist spot like people believe for some reason). Interview seats for the whole season do not get filled up by people applying in July.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I know what relative risk is. There is minimal risk associated with being complete a few weeks after AMCAS is released to schools. I am at a "high-tier" school and we admit people who are complete in Sept and later (aka they're not interviewing for a waitlist spot like people believe for some reason). Interview seats for the whole season do not get filled up by people applying in July.
Sorry didn't mean to suggest you didn't, as you almost certainly have more experience than me with that, but I thought you were asking for clarification as you put it in quotations and I used RR somewhat figuratively.
But thank you for the confirmation. Certainly seems worth clarifying vs. a reapplication.

If you take the MCAT on the May 22nd date, the score will be released at the end of June (I think June 30th..) - a few days before your AMCAS information is released to medical schools. Therefore, if you get the rest of your application completed before July 1st you will not be at a disadvantage. AAMC and MCAT websites have the full timeline if you are interested!

If you take the MCAT on the May 22nd date, the score will be released at the end of June (I think June 30th..) - a few days before your AMCAS information is released to medical schools. Therefore, if you get the rest of your application completed before July 1st you will not be at a disadvantage. AAMC and MCAT websites have the full timeline if you are interested!
I don't have a May spot :(

Even if you ignore Ismet's assurance that early August is not late, you can still pre-write your secondaries if you are that concerned. You will still be complete plenty "early."