Maybe I was too cocky this cycle -- advice for next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonnacats

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I was too cocky this cycle and applied to schools that were out of my reach.
I applied to 28 MD schools and 1 DO school and only got 2 interviews (1 DO, 1 MD; wait listed @ both).

I have a publication and a presentation, research experience in various labs (psychology, computer science, and biomedical engineering), lots of ECs (marathon, music awards, painting). Not too many upper division science courses, though, as I was a Psychology major aiming to go the PhD route and became pre-med my junior year. Not much clinical experience (~100 hrs hospital volunteering).

3.85 GPA, 3.65 sGPA, 30 MCAT

Graduated 2013, currently working for a doctor full time as an assistant/researcher, which is basically 50 hrs/week of shadowing.

Grew up/went to college in AZ, now living in NYC.

My letters of rec include my physics professor, my biomed engineering research PI (professor, but I never took a class from him), the doctor I work for, and my honor's thesis research professor (who I took a computer science graduate course from). I know the letters I have are great as far as the recommendation goes, but I'm concerned they don't speak to my classroom abilities, and I don't really have another science professor who knows me personally.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

My list for next year: (* = applied there last year, so I will be a reapplicant)

US MD:

Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin*
Cooper Medical School (NJ)
Florida International University
George Washington*
Georgetown*
SUNY Downstate*
SUNY Upstate Syracuse
Stony Brook
Rush*
UA Tucson*
UA Phx*
U South Carolina
Oakland University (Michigan)
Commonwealth University*
Virginia Commonwealth University*
Loyola*
Mayo Medical School
Medical College of Wisconsin
U Rochester
Quinnipiac University Connecticut
W Virginia U
Georgia Regents U
Kansas U
Penn State
Dartmouth
Drexel*
St Louis U*
Eastern Virginia Medical School
University of Toledo

--
Caribbean:

St. George’s (Grenada)

--
DO:

New York Institute of Tech COM

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York

Touro University - Nevada

Touro University - California

Georgia Campus
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

A.T. Still University of Health Sciences
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine

School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona*

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
of Midwestern University

Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a pre-med but I'll offer my thoughts. Did you have any shadowing experience when you applied? That coupled with subpar clinical experience might have hurt you. Also the lack of volunteering in general probably didn't help. Your stats and research accomplishments look solid though. Did you apply late or anything?

I'm just a pre-med but I'll offer my thoughts. Did you have any shadowing experience when you applied? That coupled with subpar clinical experience might have hurt you. Also the lack of volunteering in general probably didn't help. Your stats and research accomplishments look solid though. Did you apply late or anything?
Thank you for your help! Nope, I applied the first week in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Don't apply Carribbean.
2. Start doing volunteering now, as that seems to be your biggest gap
3. Consider a humanities letter of rec
4. Consider revising your personal statement.
5. Check what the school's policy regarding reapplicants is, whether they look kindly or not
6. Call/ email to ask what aspects of your application were weak at the interview schools (can give you a hint, maybe you have a poisonous LOR?)

You can also ask your physics teacher to talk about you as a student.

Hey dude,

Is there any particular school you want to go to? What traits are you looking for in a med school? I'm new here but it seems that finding "fit" is something that is overlooked when applying.

Thank you for your help! Nope, I applied the first week in June.

Hm, I don't know much about admissions but I'm surprised you only got 2 waitlists from all those places. I'd definitely look at fixing those deficits before you apply again though. And I think it's a good idea to throw in some more DO schools too like you have planned.
And investigate your LOR situation like someone else mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey dude,

Is there any particular school you want to go to? What traits are you looking for in a med school? I'm new here but it seems that finding "fit" is something that is overlooked when applying.
That's a good point. My first application cycle, I just wanted to get in. After interviewing at those schools and speaking with residents, I've realized that I value a community atmosphere (dorms on campus are a plus). As for curriculum, I really like it when schools have good scribe or online lecture resources set up.

1. Don't apply Carribbean.
2. Start doing volunteering now, as that seems to be your biggest gap
3. Consider a humanities letter of rec
4. Consider revising your personal statement.
5. Check what the school's policy regarding reapplicants is, whether they look kindly or not
6. Call/ email to ask what aspects of your application were weak at the interview schools (can give you a hint, maybe you have a poisonous LOR?)

You can also ask your physics teacher to talk about you as a student.

Very helpful. My next step will definitely be to call around for feedback from schools.

Do schools look at LoRs before sending IIs? Do you think it could have been my secondaries?

Do schools look at LoRs before sending IIs? Do you think it could have been my secondaries?

It depends. Vandy allegedly only looks at your LORs after you interviewed with them. (Someone correct me if I am wrong). I know Mayo asks for a LOR request.

Some do, some don't.
It could always be the secondaries. If someone gives me short, thoughtless responses...

You seem to lack significant volunteerism and community involvement. Do you have any long term engagement in these kinds of projects or did you hit the 100 hour mark check box on your Hospital volunteering and quit. Have you done things to help other people? I was, and still am, quite selfish with my time and fiercely guard my private time, but I still had several years of volunteer commitment to a local food bank. A few hours at a time, a few times a semester, over a few years, add up quickly. In addition to 50-100 hours of shadowing, research, etc. I also had a cool gap job for 2 years while I sowed some wild oats which sparked conversation, and involved helping people, but with lots of perks.
You didn't mention any leadership experience.
You seem to lack shadowing of physicians. You don't need hundreds of hours, but shadowing a few different physicians for as little as 50 or 60 hours indicates you have some understanding of the field and what the job entails.
Don't be so confident your letters are great.
Rework your personal statement and secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
Goro suggests the following. If you have MSAR, it helps to read and understand the Acceptance information page. You are not competitive for state schools that favor the home team.

Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin*
SUNY Downstate*
SUNY Upstate Syracuse
Stony Brook
SUNY Buffalo
Rush*
UA Tucson*
UA Phx*
Commonwealth University*
Loyola*
U Rochester
W Virginia U
Drexel*
St Louis U*
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Wake Forest
Temple
Tulane
Jefferson
All other new MD schools, except Central MI, Va Tech and Hofstra

--
DO:

Georgia Campus

of Midwestern University

[/QUOTE]

Some do, some don't.
It could always be the secondaries. If someone gives me short, thoughtless responses...
Is there any way I could PM you a few of my secondary essays to get some feedback on whether that was the culprit?

Goro suggests the following. If you have MSAR, it helps to read and understand the Acceptance information page. You are not competitive for state schools that favor the home team.

Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin*
SUNY Downstate*
SUNY Upstate Syracuse
Stony Brook
SUNY Buffalo
Rush*
UA Tucson*
UA Phx*
Commonwealth University*
Loyola*
U Rochester
W Virginia U
Drexel*
St Louis U*
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Wake Forest
Temple
Tulane
Jefferson
All other new MD schools, except Central MI, Va Tech and Hofstra

--
DO:

Georgia Campus

of Midwestern University

[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much!

You seem to lack significant volunteerism and community involvement. Do you have any long term engagement in these kinds of projects or did you hit the 100 hour mark check box on your Hospital volunteering and quit. Have you done things to help other people? I was, and still am, quite selfish with my time and fiercely guard my private time, but I still had several years of volunteer commitment to a local food bank. A few hours at a time, a few times a semester, over a few years, add up quickly. In addition to 50-100 hours of shadowing, research, etc. I also had a cool gap job for 2 years while I sowed some wild oats which sparked conversation, and involved helping people, but with lots of perks.
You didn't mention any leadership experience.
You seem to lack shadowing of physicians. You don't need hundreds of hours, but shadowing a few different physicians for as little as 50 or 60 hours indicates you have some understanding of the field and what the job entails.
Don't be so confident your letters are great.
Rework your personal statement and secondaries.
Thanks, this helps a lot! I'll get more volunteer and shadowing experience this year.
As for the letters, how bad is it to have a letter from a science faculty associate instead of a professor? I'm realizing that might have affected me.

This would turn my avocation into something strongly resembling my actual work!
Oops, sorry about that :) Thanks anyway!

I'm wondering if there was a red flag in my application or if it was just a mix of sub-par secondaries, LoRs, MCAT, experience?
28 schools and only 1 MD interview just seems like there must be something else going on.